PDA

View Full Version : First time at Amador 2-2

robertalvis23
02-02-2012, 07:34 PM
My father and I took a scouting trip out to Amador today. It seemed there were a lot of people there for a Thursday, but we found a spot to fish near the spillway and threw out some bait on sliding rigs (our normal way) and with bobbers on top (the recommended by the cashier way). After an hour or so of no luck I noticed in the water, three beautiful trout only about 8 feet from the shore line swimming right in front of us. Figuring that there may be more fish hugging the shore, we brought all our lines in and spent the rest of the day throwing our baits out only 20 feet or so and parallel to the shore. That turned the day around as we ended the day with 6 trout, 1 at 2#, 4 at 3#, and the biggest was 4#. We also saw some guys boating fish and also some others on the shore fighting some nice ones. I attached a pic of my dad holding the fish.

One other thing, as we were leaving, we noticed some buzzards or vultures in a tree and at the base of it was a dead deer. Obviously, curiosity got the best of me and I investigated. It appeared that whatever killed the deer only ate the innards and left the rest of the deer there. I figured it was probably a mountain lion, but is that their usual method?

trollingplate
02-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Nice! Which got the results?.. sliding sinkers, what were you using,
size hooks, leader length if you don't mind... planning some trips into
that area and will probably be banking at Amador. Throw any
water bobbers? Anything on a regular bobber? Crawlers?

Great result on your first trip... have yet to make mine but
anxious for Pardee, Camanche..for us newbies...

thx!

robertalvis23
02-02-2012, 07:54 PM
We caught four on the sliding rigs with 1/4 ounce sliding sinkers, between 2 and 2 and a half feet leaders, and small gold treble hooks. Not sure of the size. The other two we got on clear bobbers, half filled with water and three foot leaders. All fish caught on power bait (2 on red, 3 on corn, 1 on chartreuse).

RideNfish
02-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Great work RT!!
Glad you fished with your dad. I have lots of post fishing with mine so I think that is special. I see how you caught them but was wondering if you saw any fish surfacing. They cruise the shorline a lot and sometimes won't touch your presentation. You got smart throwing short out but not in front of you. That's experience there. Some of the regulars only cast out 10 feet!

I want to know about the surface activity cause it's way fun to catch them on a wooly bugger and a casting bubble.

Thanks and cheers,

fishingfreak
02-03-2012, 06:52 AM
about the deer thing usually coyotes just eat the innards must of been hunting in packs to take a deer down

slatest
02-03-2012, 07:55 AM
mountain lions eat the soft tissue(innards) i would bet lion. there are a lot around.

robertalvis23
02-03-2012, 10:38 AM
There were a lot of fish surfacing throughout the day.

Great work RT!!
Glad you fished with your dad. I have lots of post fishing with mine so I think that is special. I see how you caught them but was wondering if you saw any fish surfacing. They cruise the shorline a lot and sometimes won't touch your presentation. You got smart throwing short out but not in front of you. That's experience there. Some of the regulars only cast out 10 feet!

I want to know about the surface activity cause it's way fun to catch them on a wooly bugger and a casting bubble.

Thanks and cheers,

Whitewater
02-03-2012, 12:24 PM
I was out on a rented boat for my first time at Amador yesterday. Had a good time but it's been awhile since I've fished and boy am I rusty. I boated one about 2.5-3 and my buddy boated 2, One of which I'd estimate about 4# and the other 2-3#. Didn't actually weigh any of them.
I lost 3 others (the rust) but saw a bunch being caught. All fish were caught on Rapalas, losses came mostly on kastmasters the lack of the second treble apparently was too much for my lack of skills to overcome :duh:. I trolled a white grub for awhile with no luck and soaked some power bait in a cove for awhile with no luck either. Driving that boat around was a chore, spent a lot of time maneuvering to try and avoid others. I think next time I go back I'll be on the bank.

Not trying to impose on this thread just another Amador 1st timers input from 2-2. Oh and if the deer had died from causes other than another animal (natural/hit by car etc) the first thing the vultures will eat is the belly area.