PDA

View Full Version : COLLINS LAKE TROUT DERBY APRIL 28th

CRABBY
02-03-2012, 07:03 PM
Cal an the FishSniffer are hosting a Trout Derby at Collins Lake Sat. April 28th,7am till 2pm.The gates open at 5:30 am.
On the DAY of the derby tickets are $15 per adult $5 per youth 15 an under.
Pre Sale derby tickets are $10 Per adult,FREE for youths 15 an under if purchased/registered BEFORE 4/27/12.
Ca.state fishing license required an can be purchased at the Collins store if needed.
Entry reservations call 1(800)286-0576 Fax 530-692-1607
Advance tickets sold at Collins Lake and online at Collins Lake :: Northern California Fishing, Camping and Boating (http://www.Collinslake.com)
Theres going to be a lot of Great Prizes.
Boat an Bank fishing,your choice............:excited:.........Don

TheGreatBasshole
02-03-2012, 07:53 PM
Excited, hopefully able to attend my first sniffer fest/ tournament.

Fish-on,
Tgbh

scnt junky
02-05-2012, 08:00 PM
Sounds good to me I like April on Collins. I will check sched to make sure I can commit. Don are you and Hope going?? Sounds like this will be the spring fest?? Hey Cal we should set something like this every year 1x in the spring and 1x inthe fall. I think we have had some good turn-outs i the past?? Any thoughts??? Tom

OneTrueBob
02-06-2012, 09:34 AM
Another excuse to get back to Lake Collins! Can't wait... circled the date on my calendar already.

Tight Lines! :biggrin:

Trout Tracker
03-08-2012, 08:03 PM
I was suppose to work that Saturday but pushed my Saturday forward by a week.
Mia and i will forsure be thier,wouldn't miss it for nothing.
Mia is looking forward to fishing and seeing everyone.
I know she will be looking forward to seeing Hope.
See you all thier.
TT

CRABBY
03-08-2012, 08:27 PM
There's a new artical an sign up on the home page....Also for those that don't know there is no skiing allowed at that time an jet skis are always forbidden......:yahoo:

WLShafor
03-08-2012, 09:33 PM
I think that Dad and I will enter in this derby and see what happens. Should be good old Collins fun!!!

draginballsisback
03-09-2012, 10:15 AM
Sounds like a good time, but there is another derby going on the same day for the kids, CAST???

Jfitalia
03-09-2012, 10:26 AM
Don can I buy a childs ticket and fish!? lol

CRABBY
03-09-2012, 12:11 PM
Don can I buy a childs ticket and fish!? lolIf you shave real close an wear funny little kids cloths an hat we might get you in..:laugh:

Jfitalia
03-09-2012, 12:16 PM
If you shave real close an wear funny little kids cloths an hat we might get you in..:laugh:

perfect! so all I need to do is shave and dress normal!

schatgun
03-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Of course this is the (every other Saturday) that I have to work....Oh Well. Is Collins big enough to hold a tourney?:laugh:

I'm taking the family up there for some camping and fishing for 4 days the 2nd week of June so leave some fish for us:11:......Have fun...

LURKER916
03-09-2012, 06:40 PM
perfect! so all I need to do is shave and dress normal!

Lmao!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CRABBY
03-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Sounds like a good time, but there is another derby going on the same day for the kids, CAST???Yep it's on there list,never seen one before,should be interesting, a lot of our members participate in their events,this derby is more a fun time with nice prizes an food,nothing serious,just a bunch of us amateurs goofing around.....Don

buckman78
03-23-2012, 01:47 PM
days off are confirmed! campsite booked! bringing the wife, baby girl, my fishin buddy and my wifes two single friends. i dont think my wife informed her friends we were doing a fishin derby! haha.

booked my campsite yesterday. and just a heads up they were only down to about 6 lakeside sites left. so if your thinking about it or just waiting, you better get on it. nothing like fishing from your campsite!

see you all there!

Buckman

Jfitalia
03-23-2012, 02:14 PM
days off are confirmed! campsite booked! bringing the wife, baby girl, my fishin buddy and my wifes two single friends. i dont think my wife informed her friends we were doing a fishin derby! haha.

booked my campsite yesterday. and just a heads up they were only down to about 6 lakeside sites left. so if your thinking about it or just waiting, you better get on it. nothing like fishing from your campsite!

see you all there!

Buckman

ummmmm your wifes single friends? details! lol jk

CRABBY
03-23-2012, 03:09 PM
ummmmm your wifes single friends? details! lol jkJ, I'm gonna tell,you are in deep do-do now!!!:vrolijk_1:

buckman78
03-23-2012, 03:14 PM
ummmmm your wifes single friends? details! lol jk

haha, looks like i said too much already! :duh:

WLShafor
03-23-2012, 04:10 PM
Darn it,

I'm not going to make it out. I got told I have to come into work on the day I requested off.

Good luck to all 🐠🐟

JBOND
03-24-2012, 02:14 AM
Me and my buddy will be heading out for this. C u guys on the water!:Butthead:

Jfitalia
03-24-2012, 05:19 AM
J, I'm gonna tell,you are in deep do-do now!!!:vrolijk_1:

haha hey there is a reason why she isn't a sniffer! lol

westcoasterjim
03-25-2012, 09:46 PM
Sending in two registration forms Monday morning. Will be nice to meet fellow sniffers.

Question, form states the derby starts at 7:00 AM. does this mean we have to wait until then to launch and start fishing? Form also states the fish brought in for weighing can not be stiff/ridgid. I have had many fish become ridgid within 4 hours after being placed in a ice chest with iced water.
Sorry for the questions but I am new to derbys.

Jim

redneckpunk
04-17-2012, 05:01 PM
Two weeks ago the g/f made our reservations up there for the weekend and just sent in the registration forms today. We'll be up there friday night as soon as she gets off work to hopefully do a little pre-fishing before saturday morning. Havent been up there since the water levels have come up so dont know what to expect and whats been working. Seems everyone has either been staying away from the lake (very few reports) or my guess is keeping hush about whats been successful recently.

~RNP

dpars
04-18-2012, 07:47 AM
I just sent my entry form in, so I'm confirmed. Looking forward to some Fishsniffer fun. Only fished Collins once, but it's trout fishing, how hard can it be, right?:confused:

Hoping for a fun day and meeting anyone and everyone.

Don

CRABBY
04-18-2012, 11:19 AM
Sending in two registration forms Monday morning. Will be nice to meet fellow sniffers.

Question, form states the derby starts at 7:00 AM. does this mean we have to wait until then to launch and start fishing? Form also states the fish brought in for weighing can not be stiff/ridgid. I have had many fish become ridgid within 4 hours after being placed in a ice chest with iced water.
Sorry for the questions but I am new to derbys.

JimJim I wouldn't worry about the fish being a little stiff,as for boats,they can be in the water ready to go.This is a fun Derby,just a get together with some nice prizes an no big money involved....Don

westcoasterjim
04-18-2012, 07:43 PM
Jim I wouldn't worry about the fish being a little stiff,as for boats,they can be in the water ready to go.This is a fun Derby,just a get together with some nice prizes an no big money involved....Don

Thanks Don---Went up there today 3-18-12 and the lake is FULL to the brim. The water is still mirky but that should clear up by the 28th. What campground will be SNIFFER CENTRAL?

Jim

buckman78
04-19-2012, 09:35 AM
is this derby the same as a sniffer fest? or do we all just gather in the morning before fishing, then at the end? it will be nice to meet some fellow sniffers and to put faces to names!

CRABBY
04-19-2012, 10:57 AM
is this derby the same as a sniffer fest? or do we all just gather in the morning before fishing, then at the end? it will be nice to meet some fellow sniffers and to put faces to names!Not quite the same but close,there will be other fishermen in the derby I think that aren't on the board,I'm not 100% sure though,but most of the Sniffers get campsites that suit them an we all usually meet for a BBQ after at one of our Sniffer members sites,I'll Cal call an see how he wants to do this thing as it seems we have some open/loose ends to clear up.....Don

OneTrueBob
04-20-2012, 12:04 PM
Confirmed! Foot isn't 100% heeled, but that isn't going to stop me. Slow me down?!?! Maybe!

TroutGhost and I will be heading up Friday afternoon/evening to be ready early Saturday morning. Staying in Marysville since CL cabin rentals are way too expensive for one night.

Now if only the CL staff will answer the phones or get a better fax machine that can handle all the calls. Fax line has been busy all morning and the main line keeps going to VM. Seems to be a busy day.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again that was there last fall for the Derby and meeting some new Fisherions!

Tight Lines!

redneckpunk
04-20-2012, 02:08 PM
TroutGhost and I will be heading up Friday afternoon/evening to be ready early Saturday morning. Staying in Marysville since CL cabin rentals are way too expensive for one night.

Now if only the CL staff will answer the phones or get a better fax machine that can handle all the calls. Fax line has been busy all morning and the main line keeps going to VM. Seems to be a busy day.

OTB, the price isnt bad if you have can get a small group of people as the larger cabins sleep6-8 comfortably. The problem we ran into booking this time is that they have already switched to their "prime time" pricing which is more expensive and requires a 2 night min stay on weekends. So we'll be up friday night-sunday. More time to fish!!

~RNP

TroutGhost
04-20-2012, 02:21 PM
Woo-hoo! Looking forward to this! :)

CRABBY
04-20-2012, 02:29 PM
Confirmed! Foot isn't 100% heeled, but that isn't going to stop me. Slow me down?!?! Maybe!

Looking forward to seeing everyone again that was there last fall for the Derby and meeting some new Fisherions!

Tight Lines!Bob with this weather the lake is getting slammed with people.
Now between you an Roger don't ya got a tent?Much cheaper than a motel.....
Now to answer the Q about is this a fest or what.
1.This is a Collins Lake Derby,they pulled all the permits etc.
2.The FishSniffer is a Sponsor an is giving advertizing support an prizes for it,at the end of the day Cal,myself,an others from Collins will be at the weigh in doing our thing.
3.As for this being a Sniffer Fest yes it can be,which just means that we an others will all get together after the derby or the night before an have a BBQ,tell lies or what ever,ALL our welcome,now keep in mind this will be seperate from the derby,I might be able to con Cal into giving a few Free things away to the biggest BS'er we'll see..
4.We will need somebody to step up an coordinate any after the derby events,RNP comes to mind,lol,last nov.s fest was set up by GoodBaitGirl,she did a 100% job with some help from Wes I think,unfortunately Joe (FishBucket )has to work this weekend which is a big loss to us all due to his expertise,even though his post are dume he is "The Man"sometimes:evil:...
5.So anybody wanna step up an coordinate things?Or should we all just let it happen as we get there an do it on the fly,share what we got meet somewhere??Up to you...........Don

CRABBY
04-20-2012, 03:19 PM
Also I would like to add,you do NOT need to partake in the derby to join us,ALL are welcome,it's just a get together for most of us,fish or no fish,come see us!!!!
Bring your family an enjoy a day out an with some like minded people an make some friends,we don't bite.....Don

redneckpunk
04-20-2012, 04:01 PM
Bring your family an enjoy a day out an with some like minded people an make some friends,we don't bite.....Don

HA!! speak for yourself!:devil-smiley-001:

~RNP

OneTrueBob
04-23-2012, 01:46 PM
SmogGuy and RNP - Roger pinged me over the weekend about staying in a cabin at the lake. We'll talk today to discuss. Yes, I have a tent we can throw up. I understood the cabins and campsites were 2 nights minimum on the weekends. I'm sure if CL folks don't have them all rented, they'd be happy to get our money, just for the one night.

I'm only able to stay one night due to family commitments that I have on Sunday, so I have to be back in Oakland by Saturday night. Regardless, we'll see you guys there. Details to follow...

Whoever volunteers to wrangle the troops for a BBQ, let me know how I can help, what food to bring or whatever is needed.

CRABBY
04-23-2012, 02:28 PM
SmogGuy and RNP - Roger pinged me over the weekend about staying in a cabin at the lake. We'll talk today to discuss. Yes, I have a tent we can throw up. I understood the cabins and campsites were 2 nights minimum on the weekends. I'm sure if CL folks don't have them all rented, they'd be happy to get our money, just for the one night.

I'm only able to stay one night due to family commitments that I have on Sunday, so I have to be back in Oakland by Saturday night. Regardless, we'll see you guys there. Details to follow...

Whoever volunteers to wrangle the troops for a BBQ, let me know how I can help, what food to bring or whatever is needed.Will see ya there Bob an Roger,just hope RNP ain't to hungry an bite us all up,think I'll wear some Skunk scent just in case,you guys should be able to stay in the overflow for 1 night unless the rules have changed or camp in your boat if Rodger has one,I'm still undecided about bringing mine, the small ramp can be a nightmare with stupid people,so far no one has said anything about a BBQ although after the derby we are supposed to have one I think,I'll ck......Don

CRABBY
04-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Bob,just ck.ed an no mention of a BBQ after the derby so any body wants to step up an do some hotdogs an beer thing that would be cool..also ya might post up your cabin/campsite # an we could do a Friday night get together which would be good for those that have to leave sat.afternoon sober....lol.....Don

OneTrueBob
04-23-2012, 03:09 PM
ATTENTION SNIFFERS: If anyone is interested in sharing a cabin for Friday Night only, PM myself or TroutGhost. Collins Lake folks are ok with a single night rental, so we are trying to add a few more for less $$ spent by all.

Plan B is to rent a campsite and throw up my tent. And Plan C, if it's raining Friday night is to stay in Marysville at a cheap hotel/motel.

See Ya'll there... TIGHT LINES!

CRABBY
04-23-2012, 03:24 PM
ATTENTION SNIFFERS: If anyone is interested in sharing a cabin for Friday Night only, PM myself or TroutGhost. Collins Lake folks are ok with a single night rental, so we are trying to add a few more for less $$ spent by all.

Plan B is to rent a campsite and throw up my tent. And Plan C, if it's raining Friday night is to stay in Marysville at a cheap hotel/motel.

See Ya'll there... TIGHT LINES!How much Bob,ya know we are a bunch of broke suckers unlike you city folk,LOL..Don

TroutGhost
04-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Pm'd ya' smogguy.

OneTrueBob
04-23-2012, 03:54 PM
Too funny Don! :rotfl: I forget you country folks only gradumated from the 6th grade, just like Jethro Clampett! :rotfl:

Large Cabin - Sleeps up to 6, including one person on the sofa - $240 per night
Small Cabin - Sleeps up to 4, including one person on the sofa - $150 per night

Total cost for each person depends on how many stay... BYOE = Bring Your Own Everything! ;-)

Collins Lake :: 2012 Rates (http://www.collinslake.com/rates) - additional details on fees and what-not...

CRABBY
04-23-2012, 04:27 PM
Too funny Don! :rotfl: I forget you country folks only gradumated from the 6th grade, just like Jethro Clampett! :rotfl:

Large Cabin - Sleeps up to 6, including one person on the sofa - $240 per night
Small Cabin - Sleeps up to 4, including one person on the sofa - $150 per night

Total cost for each person depends on how many stay... BYOE = Bring Your Own Everything! ;-)

Collins Lake :: 2012 Rates (http://www.collinslake.com/rates) - additional details on fees and what-not...Bob,gradumated?? Even us inbred folks are wondering?? What???LOL.......:beer:...Don.............PS weather is gonna be NICE!!!!

redneckpunk
04-23-2012, 04:46 PM
Sorry to break your wallet guys but the small cabin is unavailable. We booked that one a couple weeks ago.......damn, just gave away my location. Better make sure I lock the ice chest now, or bring some cheap PBR that you wont steal. lol

~RNP

redneckpunk
04-23-2012, 04:54 PM
A show of hands from anyone who would be interested in a friday night BBQ? I wont be up there til about 630, but I'm willing to throw in my big grill and fire it up when we get there. BYOE and I'll supply the grill and the site. The small cabin has an extra large parking/assembly area to accommodate mingling room. G/f says she doesnt mind if we entertain a bunch of smelly fisherman. Afterall, she puts up with me

~RNP

CRABBY
04-26-2012, 08:15 AM
Anybody else plan on joining up,looks like the weather is gonna cooperate.Westcoaster Jim an wife were just up an the fishing was good that day,so we'll see come Sat......:picnic1:

CRABBY
04-26-2012, 08:32 AM
A show of hands from anyone who would be interested in a friday night BBQ? I wont be up there til about 630, but I'm willing to throw in my big grill and fire it up when we get there. BYOE and I'll supply the grill and the site. The small cabin has an extra large parking/assembly area to accommodate mingling room. G/f says she doesnt mind if we entertain a bunch of smelly fisherman. Afterall, she puts up with me

~RNPSat after the derby might be better,more of us there,I donno just wondering out loud...HA....Don

buckman78
04-26-2012, 08:53 AM
Sorry to break your wallet guys but the small cabin is unavailable. We booked that one a couple weeks ago.......damn, just gave away my location. Better make sure I lock the ice chest now, or bring some cheap PBR that you wont steal. lol

~RNP

I wouldnt count your PBR as safe there RNP, when your camping any beer is better then no beer! :cheers:

westcoasterjim
04-26-2012, 09:16 AM
Sorry guys we caught all the fish Tuesday :rolleyes: Might as well stay home and save the gas:grin:
The wife and I are looking forward meeting many of you after the derby, but we are not sure where SNIFFER CENTRAL will be. Down at the boat trailer parking lot? That would be a spot where we can keep an eye on our boats and not have to walk to far. Just a thought.

Jim

buckman78
04-26-2012, 09:33 AM
some derby questions:

if we prepaid, do we pick up our wrist band at the store?

i know the derby starts at 7 and there will be an air horn to indicate the start, but do we all need to be at the same place, or can we start from our campsite or anywhere else on the lake?

where will the weigh ins be, and is that where the prizes will be awarded?

i guess this should have been the first question..... is there anywhere that states the answers to the questions above?

thanks and good luck to all saturday!

-Buckman-

redneckpunk
04-26-2012, 10:00 AM
Sat after the derby might be better,more of us there,I donno just wondering out loud...HA....Don

I'm thinking your probably right Don, but I wont go as far as acknowledging it. lol. To this point I've only had a couple responses about friday night. Anyone else think a BBQ/meet and greet on saturday afternoon/evening is a better idea? Im open to suggestions but need to know before I break my back loading the grill.

~RNP

redneckpunk
04-26-2012, 10:03 AM
I wouldnt count your PBR as safe there RNP, when your camping any beer is better then no beer! :cheers:

Just a word of advise, you can steal MY beer but dont touch the g/f's Corona (notice I wont call it beer). :jamesbond6qt:She's a darn good shot!

~RNP

OneTrueBob
04-26-2012, 11:17 AM
Buckman has great questions... I thought Cal was heading up this event... no posts or word from him. Need the info people... the 411... the down-low... <crickets....> Guess we'll have to wait until Friday to ask the folks at Collins.

RNP - At the last FS Collins Derby we had the BBQ afterwards... with everyone coming up at different times on Friday, that may be our best option. I can bring some hot dogs and buns. Just need a head count. And no, your PBR would not be safe! :wink: Never mess with a woman's beer or purse or money... NEVER!! :duh: unless you have a really comfy sofa or there is room for two in the dog house....

See ya'll Friday...

CRABBY
04-26-2012, 11:28 AM
Sorry guys we caught all the fish Tuesday :rolleyes: Might as well stay home and save the gas:grin:
The wife and I are looking forward meeting many of you after the derby, but we are not sure where SNIFFER CENTRAL will be. Down at the boat trailer parking lot? That would be a spot where we can keep an eye on our boats and not have to walk to far. Just a thought.

JimGood Q's Guys,I'll give Cal a call,an collins an see where we can get together an watch our gear....Don

CRABBY
04-26-2012, 01:29 PM
some derby questions:

if we prepaid, do we pick up our wrist band at the store?

i know the derby starts at 7 and there will be an air horn to indicate the start, but do we all need to be at the same place, or can we start from our campsite or anywhere else on the lake?

where will the weigh ins be, and is that where the prizes will be awarded?

i guess this should have been the first question..... is there anywhere that states the answers to the questions above?

thanks and good luck to all saturday!

-Buckman-OK talked to Kathy at Collins.So what I was told to do was let you guys know that we have Picnic area 3 reserved,that's right at the beach area by the ramp so your boats can be in the lower lot area in plain site or beached in front for safety,we can also have our BBQ there it's ours for the day,you must tell the people at the gate/store you are in the derby an for those of you that are there for the day only your fee is only 1/2 price an you also get a senior disc.an active vet disc.Also..Camping fees are reg price,kids under 15 are free I believe but must be reg.We must all be at the picnic area to sign in an wait for the horn to blow before we go fishing,at that time you can go to your bank spots or boat an start,kinda sucks but guess that's how they do it or what I was told anyway.We will be doing all the weigh in's,hopefully during the day we can have a scale on the dock if not weigh in will be done at the picnic site,we should have signs out at the picnic area to our group area an a banner of some sort,as far as I know this is a trout derby only,no bass,cats etc.Also for those who haven't been here before your boats do not get inspected for anything!!!!To the best of my knowledge there will be no food except what you bring, once any updates come to me I will post em.....Don

westcoasterjim
04-26-2012, 03:14 PM
Don

If Collins is letting the Sniffer crew do all the work, why not simply change the rule that boaters and bankers can start fsihing at anytime after being checked in, but the weigh in time will start at 1:00 and ends at 2:00 sharp. Seems simple, less congestion, and safer. Just state when check in time starts. Maybe due to the narrow boat ramp having a certain time to start fishing might work but it sure seems odd. Just a thought.

Jim

WAPOW
04-26-2012, 03:39 PM
<------ will be there.....

CRABBY
04-26-2012, 03:58 PM
Don

If Collins is letting the Sniffer crew do all the work, why not simply change the rule that boaters and bankers can start fsihing at anytime after being checked in, but the weigh in time will start at 1:00 and ends at 2:00 sharp. Seems simple, less congestion, and safer. Just state when check in time starts. Maybe due to the narrow boat ramp having a certain time to start fishing might work but it sure seems odd. Just a thought.

JimSounds good to me but we'll see what Cal does.Got him on the phone an he says it's just a small little derby an we don't need a bunch of rules etc.He is going to give a seminar in the morning at seven,??????So ok what about the start time,it's at seven ?????OK so what about wrist bands sign ups etc....Don't need em it's just a little derby,not a big deal,when I talked to Kathy there were 70 + people signed up,much more than he thought would be there an the # is climbing,so guys just ck.in go to rd.#4 go to the beach area look for a sign or a lot of people sign in an do what ya can,put your boats in an beach em.
AS I said we have the area all day so a Sniffer BBQ can be held there an your boats an stuff will be close by to watch,BUT no food will be provided,it's on us just like a regular ol Sniffer fest,I know this is a little bit of a cluster but most last minute stuff usually is, so if ya can bring anything,salad,chips an dip,whatever,please do so an post it up so we all can decide on what to do,last minute stuff usually works out good even though the wife's don't like it,lol....See ya all sat..I'm just going to meet ya all an BS an see old Friends...a nice get together for us all,be ready to go at 7AM....Don

redneckpunk
04-26-2012, 05:40 PM
I see how you guys are. Don guilts me into volunteering and then someone drops the ball and things go to H**L. lmao! I'll still bring the grill and we can decide Sat if we want to use or not. My philosophy is "I'm camping and fishing, no kids....whatever".

~RNP

CRABBY
04-26-2012, 06:48 PM
I see how you guys are. Don guilts me into volunteering and then someone drops the ball and things go to H**L. lmao! I'll still bring the grill and we can decide Sat if we want to use or not. My philosophy is "I'm camping and fishing, no kids....whatever".

~RNPLOL,well somebody had to bring the grill just in case,your big,young,strong so who else!!!!HAAAAAAAAA

Anyway we'll make use of it sat.but as you said bring your own stuff,keep it simple,hot dogs,brats etc,an we can just BS for awhile have a beer or wine an enjoy.Once you sign up in the morn.when the horn blows at 7 go fish,or you can hang around for cals seminar,that's up to you!!!!!!!I'm just gonna hang out an visit I think,if I bring my boat I'll take a few out to troll if they have experience.Also as most should already know there is also a cast derby that will be going on,so lets try an be understanding to the people working with the kids whether on the water or the bank....Thanks....Don

redneckpunk
04-26-2012, 06:59 PM
LOL,well somebody had to bring the grill just in case,your big,young,strong so who else!!!!HAAAAAAAAA

you forgot handsome in that description :rotfl:

CRABBY
04-26-2012, 07:25 PM
you forgot handsome in that description :rotfl:Whoops sorry bro AN PRETTY TOO!!!!
:guilty9lp:

Cal.Kellogg
04-27-2012, 10:29 AM
Hey all, the Collins Lake Derby kicks off in the morning...Can't wait to see all of you at the lake!!!

TroutGhost
04-27-2012, 10:53 AM
Dreamt I was bank fishing the Collins but none of my worms were floating! Woke up this morning clenching my bedsheets, freaking out about my leaders! :stomper:

redneckpunk
04-27-2012, 12:04 PM
TG I woke up from the nightmare that when the horn sounded to start the derby we were all backed up 10+ deep in the parking lot trying to get down the launch ramp....ESP perhaps? Another reason I'm getting up there tonight. Just hoping I was finally able to get that small leak fixed thats been bugging me, or its going to be a wet morning. lol

~RNP

CRABBY
04-27-2012, 02:21 PM
TG I woke up from the nightmare that when the horn sounded to start the derby we were all backed up 10+ deep in the parking lot trying to get down the launch ramp....ESP perhaps? Another reason I'm getting up there tonight. Just hoping I was finally able to get that small leak fixed thats been bugging me, or its going to be a wet morning. lol

~RNPJust carry a coffee can an bail once in awhile,no biggie,an if ya sink I'll grab the patroll boat with Mike an come get your butt...Women first though,lol....Don

CRABBY
04-27-2012, 03:09 PM
Hey all, the Collins Lake Derby kicks off in the morning...Can't wait to see all of you at the lake!!!Gee Cal I was hopin for a post,not a fart!!!!!:teaseku9:
OK guys I will see ya at the gate in the morning to take your money an issue your ID stuff,hope ya are ready!!!!
I'll be the Good Lookin white/grey haired guy checkin the gal's out so beware,:2vrolijk_08:......
After that go to rd.4 hang a left an go towards the ramp,once you get past the big parking lot on the left we have the whole area there an on the beach,go put your boats in beach em an come up an wait to get started,it's not a big official hard core derby we have loose rules an aren't gonna be a-holes about anything,will see you bankers after awhile, an the rest at weigh in about 2:00, an yes I can be bribed,LOL...See ya tomorrow...Don

TroutGhost
04-29-2012, 12:30 AM
Hey Don, I saw you but didn't know it was you. Shoulda' introduced yourself. Was a busy morning and afternoon. First time at that lake so I had to rely on reading structure and guessing about what's relating where although OneTrueBob's Fish Finder played a small part, lol.

Fishbucket
04-29-2012, 03:51 AM
I saw you but didn't know it was you. Shoulda' introduced yourself. .

Once you actually meet him... you're obligated to shake his hand the next time too..

:duck:

:nana:

Now where's the Report!?

CRABBY
04-29-2012, 06:09 AM
The derby went well,grew to over 170 people signing up which meant a nice dollar amount to the top 5 winners,adults an kids,+ some gear an tons of powerbait,firebait,red an white Pautzke's eggs,fishing line an leader,tee shirts etc....
The fishing was good but no real big ones,first place won with a 3.3 # trout,some bigger bass showed up but it was trout only..
Didn't see many board members at the weigh in that I knew just Westcoster Jim an his wife Kathi,RNP an his GF,saw a few more at the sign in,OneTrueBob,Troughost,an Buckman I think?That was it for board members if there were more they didn't say so.I asked a few if they were an many said they view the board is all,an some were old members that hadn't been on for years since the split up,also a couple of hookers.
All in all the derby was a huge success in #s an payoff amounts,considering it only cost $10/15 to sign up....
Also hangin at the beach area with Cal an BS'in an takin in the views most of the day was cool,the sun was out an the Gals were sun tanning...:laugh::laugh:.......Don

TroutGhost
04-29-2012, 09:01 AM
>>>Now where's the Report!?

LOL, I'm decompressing still, hehe.

CRABBY
04-29-2012, 10:44 AM
>>>Now where's the Report!?

LOL, I'm decompressing still, hehe.Roger came with Bob,(OneTrueBob),so there is some recovery time required!!
Kind of like decompressing....:rotfl2:.....Don

WAPOW
04-29-2012, 12:51 PM
well wanna say thank you to all the people that made this happen. i went with a couple of buddy from work. lost one at the boat, cought a pounder, then all i heard was a thunk and lost a rod out of the rod holder. so if any one finds a rod is got my name one it. kenneth norris. all in all this was my first time trolling for trout and i had a blast. i was the only one on the boat to hook up. im ready to give it a go again next weekend and take what i learn and improve. thanks kevin and robert for taking my on your boat.... gotta do it again real soon. i stopped by the weigh in for a min but then we took of. i think next time we should have some name taggs.

CRABBY
04-29-2012, 02:52 PM
well wanna say thank you to all the people that made this happen. i went with a couple of buddy from work. lost one at the boat, cought a pounder, then all i heard was a thunk and lost a rod out of the rod holder. so if any one finds a rod is got my name one it. kenneth norris. all in all this was my first time trolling for trout and i had a blast. i was the only one on the boat to hook up. im ready to give it a go again next weekend and take what i learn and improve. thanks kevin and robert for taking my on your boat.... gotta do it again real soon. i stopped by the weigh in for a min but then we took of. i think next time we should have some name taggs.Well Kenneth,I may have seen you,YOU the guy with all the gold jewelry on?LOL.
I was the ol fart sitting an writing weights down,I kept telling people I could be bribed but didn't get any takers.
And yes name tags would of been good,I suggested that but was over ruled,oh well,thanks for coming...Don

WAPOW
04-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Well Kenneth,I may have seen you,YOU the guy with all the gold jewelry on?LOL.
I was the ol fart sitting an writing weights down,I kept telling people I could be bribed but didn't get any takers.
And yes name tags would of been good,I suggested that but was over ruled,oh well,thanks for coming...Don

actully i dont wear any jewerly not even a ring(is a machanic thing) but i was wearing a snap-on hat. looking into the 12th the derby now.

CRABBY
04-29-2012, 03:43 PM
actully i dont wear any jewerly not even a ring(is a machanic thing) but i was wearing a snap-on hat. looking into the 12th the derby now.LOL,I know about the mechanic thing,didn't notice a snap on hat,but I wasn't looking,between writing down weights an looking at the gals suntanning,oh well,you know,lol....Don...

buckman78
04-29-2012, 03:55 PM
Hey sniffers. Just got home.what a great weekend! We got there Friday and we had a full campsite. So only fished a few hours Friday, the derby hours and 45 minutes this morning. Friday we got 5 to the boat and lost three and missed quite a few. Derby day, we boated 19, and lost 3 at the boat, also had countless hits. This morning we got 4 and lost two. Not too shaby!

Derby day was awesome, met a few fellow sniffers and had a good time yucking it up at the weigh-ins.
Fish were on the small side, with largest going 3 pounds and Good enough to lock in 2nd place! Got a rod and a good amount of cash. Gave my buddy (Co-captain extrodinare) the rod and some prize money. Then once I got back to camp my wife took her cut of the prize money and all I was left with was my trout! Haha.

3 lber caught on broken back rapalla by dam. All others caught on dodgers and crawlers. Most fish caught in deeper water on top to 8 on the down rigger.

Thanks again Cal and smogguy for runnin the weigh-ins. Also thanks to all who put this derby on.had a lot of fun, though cash and prizes dont hurt either! Either way, was going to be fish this weekend and the derby just made it that much better!

CRABBY
04-29-2012, 04:05 PM
Hey sniffers. Just got home.what a great weekend! We got there Friday and we had a full campsite. So only fished a few hours Friday, the derby hours and 45 minutes this morning. Friday we got 5 to the boat and lost three and missed quite a few. Derby day, we boated 19, and lost 3 at the boat, also had countless hits. This morning we got 4 and lost two. Not too shaby!

Derby day was awesome, met a few fellow sniffers and had a good time yucking it up at the weigh-ins.
Fish were on the small side, with largest going 3 pounds and Good enough to lock in 2nd place! Got a rod and a good amount of cash. Gave my buddy (Co-captain extrodinare) the rod and some prize money. Then once I got back to camp my wife took her cut of the prize money and all I was left with was my trout! Haha.

3 lber caught on broken back rapalla by dam. All others caught on dodgers and crawlers. Most fish caught in deeper water on top to 8 on the down rigger.

Thanks again Cal and smogguy for runnin the weigh-ins. Also thanks to all who put this derby on.had a lot of fun, though cash and prizes dont hurt either! Either way, was going to be fish this weekend and the derby just made it that much better!So you were that Buchanan guy?Congrats!! The pay off was much bigger than we though it would be cuz of all the sign ups..Again Congrats......Don

buckman78
04-29-2012, 06:55 PM
So you were that Buchanan guy?Congrats!! The pay off was much bigger than we though it would be cuz of all the sign ups..Again Congrats......Don

Ha yup, that was me. And thanks! I was just hoping there was going to be a raffle or something. But the payout was awesome, and way more than I ever expected, especially for just $10!!

OneTrueBob
04-30-2012, 12:21 PM
Had a great time on Collins Lake again. Fished with TroutGhost. I didn't land a single trout, so we skipped the weigh-in and stayed on the lake all day. Had the boat until 7...Caught a couple of bass, lost one at the boat.

All in all, a fun time. Great to see Don again and meet Cal. Also met RNP and his g/f on Friday night.

Don says...
Roger came with Bob,(OneTrueBob),so there is some recovery time required!!
Kind of like decompressing....:rotfl2: - Too funny!!!

CRABBY
04-30-2012, 02:24 PM
Had a great time on Collins Lake again. Fished with TroutGhost. I didn't land a single trout, so we skipped the weigh-in and stayed on the lake all day. Had the boat until 7...Caught a couple of bass, lost one at the boat.

All in all, a fun time. Great to see Don again and meet Cal. Also met RNP and his g/f on Friday night.

Don says...
Roger came with Bob,(OneTrueBob),so there is some recovery time required!!
Kind of like decompressing....:rotfl2: - Too funny!!!Well Bob we all know your a young crazy guy from Oakland,so your buds gotta keep up....At least ya didn't get the ol skunko white striped kitty.....Don....:cheers:

redneckpunk
04-30-2012, 02:54 PM
Dont be laughing at those of us with the white stripes for the weekend. :skunk29gc: Hell I even went back out saturday evening and sunday morning for a couple hours just so I wouldnt have it and still couldnt manage to land one. But I was able to convince the GF without a doubt that we need a bigger boat. When the wind picked up sat afternoon and we headed across the lake we took a nice swell over the bow soaking her pretty well on the front seat. Who'd have guessed that turning into the wind with a boat wake coming and cutting the throttle would produce such an outcome? hehehe :guilty9lp:

~RNP

TroutGhost
04-30-2012, 04:00 PM
Bob brought his portable fish finder which greatly helped determine where the fish weren't, saving us from wasting time. We launched around 7 AM and headed out for the dam. We were trolling all the usual suspects like firetiger rapala, etc. but the fish weren't there. Turns out the fish were holding deep or close to shore and around structure, just sitting around. That seemed to be the deal from seven am to seven PM, we were marking fish between thirty and sixty feet and in certain shallow structure areas.

So we pulled into a cove that's across from the swim beach more or less and dropped anchor. The fish finder indicated that fish were holding all around us so I cast mice tails toward some bushes that were popping out of the water, beside, between, in front of the bushes and got a couple strikes (some fish/some snags) and one to the boat. Was a little trout but it had nice colors and a nice tail that wasn't chewed up, planter fresh. Bob was tossing around too and got a strike or two but none to the boat.

Finally the fish seemed to have moved on so I cast behind me at a fallen log at the entrance to a cove. That looked like interesting structure and since the trout were hugging structure that day the partially submerged log at the cove mouth seemed like a good spot. So I dunked the mice tail in there. After some time we decide to leave so I started reeling in the mice tail but instead of just reeling it in I jig it back slow. Why not? I've caught trout in the past jigging the mice tail back and that's exactly what happened this time. I caught another one on a reaction strike as it whizzed past it's nose. That's two little guys. Both on white/glow mice tails.

We then pull anchor and troll toward the bridge. Bob's trolling a rapala firetiger tail dancer, getting it down deep and he hooks a really sweet looking bass. It was a good size fish but he lost it about fifteen feet to the boat. Was close enough so we could see the creamy white belly and the black markings and emerald sides. No doubt it was a nice looking bass and all the more disappointing to lose it. I guess that's why some bass hardbaits have size 3 and 2 hooks. The size 6 on the Rapala was no match for the big mouth on that hog. Bob did catch a little bass out in a cove later that day.

We located some fish on a hump near the bridge and anchored on one of the humps, above the valley between the two humps. Bob drops a hook loaded with firebait dough and the fish finder starts beeping like R2D2 as a school of fish swim close to investigate. It was really cool to dump the firebait dough and see how it almost immediately attracted fish attention. But no bites. We threw everything at them but no bites. Maybe crappie?

I got another one on the way in trolling a SEPs gold plated dodger with a 2.5" gold plated flutter spoon behind it. The spoon was rigged with a siwash and on the siwash I slipped on a chartreuse and green crappie tube over it (tailwagger style (http://www.silverhorde.com/id141.html)). I screwed up and didn't play it to the boat and lost it. I was tired. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. :) That was it for the day.