PDA

View Full Version : Trout jigging

Marv
02-06-2012, 09:43 AM
Fishing for Trout with Mini Jig Pro Marlon Meade - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anaEEcofRP0&sns=em)

Any of you guys doing this? I got a few things to try this next time i go to a certian spot. I got Atomic teasers in a few colors to try, but what are some other good trout jig companys.

Will crappie jigs in 1/80 - 1/32 work on trout? I can find way better crappie jigs than trout jigs.

Hookin_Up
02-06-2012, 10:09 AM
I've caught two trout and a turtle with this technique at my local lake :stomper:. I also would like to know what jigs work best around here and in sierra lakes. I've bought a few different patterns, but can't get any bites.

Bigg A
02-06-2012, 10:18 AM
No need for fancy jigs of any type......regular crappie tubes work just fine!! Use the smallest pound test you feel comfortable with to get the most action out of the jig.

Jfitalia
02-06-2012, 11:00 AM
Fishing for Trout with Mini Jig Pro Marlon Meade - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anaEEcofRP0&sns=em)

Any of you guys doing this? I got a few things to try this next time i go to a certian spot. I got Atomic teasers in a few colors to try, but what are some other good trout jig companys.

Will crappie jigs in 1/80 - 1/32 work on trout? I can find way better crappie jigs than trout jigs.

i'm not a huge fan of Marlons choice in jigs. I've been fishing with him in the past and there is a reason he is on berkeley's pro staff. I've been doing the jig thing for about 20yrs and its a great way to catch fish. I fish primary 1/32, 1/64 and 1/80th of an ounce on 2 or 3lb test with a 7ft rod minimum. I prefer trout traps or the jigs made from lead masters. also try tipping your jigs with a meal worm. its a great technique used in so cal but no one does that here from some reason

TroutGhost
02-06-2012, 11:27 AM
with a 7ft rod minimum

Is that an ultralight rod? How far can you get it to fly on the two or three pound test line?

Thanks!

Jfitalia
02-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Is that an ultralight rod? How far can you get it to fly on the two or three pound test line?

Thanks!

you want an extra fast action rod and mine are rated 4-8lb. with a fast our extra fast action rod and 2lb test I can fling the hell out of jig! :-)

Marv
02-06-2012, 01:57 PM
I can toss a 1/32 jig on 4lb. Maxima pretty far, mabye 40 feet or so. Im gonna respool with 2lb. P-line. I have a 7' light fast action rod.

JF, Do you use the bobber and jiggle it back or do you go with only a tipped jig. What method works best for you? Also i have some tubes in brown/green, pearl, and yellow/white. What are some good colors that work for you?

Thanks for the answers guy's :)

Bigg A
02-06-2012, 02:00 PM
also try tipping your jigs with a meal worm. its a great technique used in so cal but no one does that here from some reason

We tip jigs here in northern cali.....not for slime rockets though...lol!!! Been tipping tubes for years with wax worms catching crappie,gills,bass,cats and when we camp at the lake....the slime rockets eat it up.

Thanks!

I use 3lb and it goes pretty far

Jfitalia
02-06-2012, 02:56 PM
I can toss a 1/32 jig on 4lb. Maxima pretty far, mabye 40 feet or so. Im gonna respool with 2lb. P-line. I have a 7' light fast action rod.

JF, Do you use the bobber and jiggle it back or do you go with only a tipped jig. What method works best for you? Also i have some tubes in brown/green, pearl, and yellow/white. What are some good colors that work for you?

Thanks for the answers guy's :)

I would say 95% of my fish come without a bobber. however I have had a few days where they work. especially on days when three fish are up top and want a slow presentation. otherwise yes just cast and a slow jigging action while you reel the entire time.

as for colors, most use white (big ant) I like it to but I've gone more towards the green/orange, brown, brown/green, smoke/red flake and yellow/white. all the colors you mentioned are standard for what every jig thrower should have.
one more thing to add with that 2lb test set you drag so when you set the hook it will give a little. that will prevent breakoffs on the set. also use three palomar knot because the clinch knot will burn through it in my experience. have fun and watch your rod tip. a lot of your strikes with come from trout just mouthing it so all you'll feel is a "mushy" feeling

MarkdaShark19
02-06-2012, 03:48 PM
You can never go wrong with white, but other colors I do good with is a bright green, sometimes blue, and when I'm fishing stained water I noticed I do a lot better with red just to get some more visibility going. To me an UL rod and 2lb test is the key. I like using 1/16th heads to get some more distance but 1/32nd is good too. I personal don't like using bobbers with this just cause I don't want to put them on my 2lb test with the fear of it breaking. If I wanted to use a bobber I would go up to 4lb and a heavier rod so I can get a heavier bobber on and try to launch that thing maybe 30 or 40 yards out if you have the right kind of bobber and line.

Jfitalia
02-06-2012, 04:05 PM
I just do whatever markdashark does!

TroutGhost
02-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the pointers. I'm looking forward to doing some jigging. :)

Twofish
02-08-2012, 10:22 AM
Gitzits, or any small tube, can be very effective.

hookeyjaw
02-08-2012, 11:56 AM
When jigging for trout are you jigging up and down vertically like straight down like for salmon? or casting letting it sink and then jigging it in?

Marv
02-08-2012, 09:18 PM
hookyjaw, casting and jigging back. It's more of like swim jigging not dragging it and popping it off the bottom. All though im sure that would work too in certain places.

I got my first jig trout today :) the fish did all the work i just reeled him in, lol.....

Jetspray
02-09-2012, 01:02 AM
hookyjaw, casting and jigging back. It's more of like swim jigging not dragging it and popping it off the bottom. All though im sure that would work too in certain places.

I got my first jig trout today :) the fish did all the work i just reeled him in, lol.....

Good stuff, I'm gonna try a boob tube myself. You take a 3 or 4 inch gitzit, plug the base with a piece of worm glued in, leaving a air chaimber in the head, hook through the base without puncturing the chaimber, let it float up. You just need a sliding sinker on the line with a swivel to block it from going up the line to the boob tube. Kind of like a bobber with a hook on it. Gotta try it:Old_hippie:.........Jetspray

Marv
02-09-2012, 07:36 AM
JetSpray, thats a great idea. Im even gonna try that on bass too.