PDA

View Full Version : Folsom Lake General Trout Questions

BradL
02-06-2012, 12:11 PM
I am new to the forum, and very excited to find a place like this online. I was an avid angler as a child and haven't touched a fishing pole for almost ten years. I want to get back into angling and my first option is Folsom Lake. I understand this lake is not a huge producer, but I want to give it a shot from the shore and was looking for some general tips.

Fishbucket
02-06-2012, 12:17 PM
I dont have any tips for Folsom, havent fished it in 8 yrs and then it was for bass.

Just wanted to say Welcome !

I'm sure others will be getting you the hot tips soon.

BradL
02-06-2012, 12:21 PM
I dont have any tips for Folsom, havent fished it in 8 yrs and then it was for bass.

Just wanted to say Welcome !

I'm sure others will be getting you the hot tips soon.

Im glad to be on board. Thanks for the warm welcome!

AnglingWes
02-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Welcome to the board!!!

Folsom is a tough beast for many, but some have figured it out. I have never had much muck out there, but trout can be found all over the lake. I think the area in front of the dam and the South Fork are the popular trolling areas. The population of land locked Kings has also been growing in numbers each year too. Search the forum for "folsom lake" and I'm sure you will find some good reports.

WAPOW
02-06-2012, 12:41 PM
thay plant folsom lake with trout here is the number for the plants 916-358-2872 or 916-351-0832. i think thay just planted at granite bay. thay are good size trout...

BradL
02-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Welcome to the board!!!

Folsom is a tough beast for many, but some have figured it out. I have never had much muck out there, but trout can be found all over the lake. I think the area in front of the dam and the South Fork are the popular trolling areas. The population of land locked Kings has also been growing in numbers each year too. Search the forum for "folsom lake" and I'm sure you will find some good reports.

Right on, ill work on that search. I remember catching trout and salmon from the shore when i was a kid out there. Just hoping to run into somebody that still does that, and get some tips.:dankk2:

BradL
02-06-2012, 02:03 PM
thay plant folsom lake with trout here is the number for the plants 916-358-2872 or 916-351-0832. i think thay just planted at granite bay. thay are good size trout...

Ill check those numbers out. I saw people pulling some trout in from boats today, just not a soul on the shore with me. Thanks.

blwn31
02-06-2012, 08:37 PM
I know this is a trout forum but, there are landlocked Kings there too. DFG hasn't planted Kings Salmon in Folsom since '06. Since DFG doesn't plant Kings anymore, me and many of my fishing buddies are suggesting catch and release of the Kings. We hope that someday this fishery will be overflowing with Kings one day soon. They are great fighters! Good luck out there.

Keith

BradL
02-06-2012, 08:51 PM
I know this is a trout forum but, there are landlocked Kings there too. DFG hasn't planted Kings Salmon in Folsom since '06. Since DFG doesn't plant Kings anymore, me and many of my fishing buddies are suggesting catch and release of the Kings. We hope that someday this fishery will be overflowing with Kings one day soon. They are great fighters! Good luck out there.

Keith

I remember pulling salmon out from the shore when I was a kid. There really are fish out there. I just need to figure out how to access them from the shore nowadays. Thanks for the help!

67shelbysmash
02-06-2012, 11:16 PM
Granite bay at 5 percent or next to the launch, rattlesnake bar, or near browns ravine for shore fishing. I always bring three rods. One with a sliding egg sinker rig with an inflated night crawler as the base bait, second a simple kastmaster on the other, and then a slip float rig with a crawler/egg combo or minnow. Cast the sliding rig out as the base rod and then use the kastmaster to target schools or find how far or close the fish are feeding from shore. If they hit close or you get tired of throwing the kastmaster out then toss the float out. A bobber rig with a minnow or a crawler will definitely get a salmon to hit.

BradL
02-06-2012, 11:40 PM
Granite bay at 5 percent or next to the launch, rattlesnake bar, or near browns ravine for shore fishing. I always bring three rods. One with a sliding egg sinker rig with an inflated night crawler as the base bait, second a simple kastmaster on the other, and then a slip float rig with a crawler/egg combo or minnow. Cast the sliding rig out as the base rod and then use the kastmaster to target schools or find how far or close the fish are feeding from shore. If they hit close or you get tired of throwing the kastmaster out then toss the float out. A bobber rig with a minnow or a crawler will definitely get a salmon to hit.

Great, I was out at 5 percent today trying Powerbait. I will try the bait and location combos you have mentioned. That's a lot of great info. Any specific parts of 5 percent, Browns, Or Rattlesnake bar you find worthwhile? Thanks!

BradL
02-08-2012, 12:23 PM
Great, I was out at 5 percent today trying Powerbait. I will try the bait and location combos you have mentioned. That's a lot of great info. Any specific parts of 5 percent, Browns, Or Rattlesnake bar you find worthwhile? Thanks!

Bump to say thanks and for any last tips?:dankk2:

67shelbysmash
02-08-2012, 12:52 PM
try to be out at dawn or in the evening, at 5 percent look for steep points, the lake is lower now so try to find a point that has a bit of a drop off so you dont have to launch baits out a ways. Also, look at the DFG website. If they plant granite bay the week you are planning on fishing then go out later in the week
Goodluck!

Trout Tracker
02-09-2012, 05:17 AM
Brad.
I just want to say welcome to the boards.Great place to be and get some great info.
I fish Folsom 3-4 times a year trolling from my 14ft Valco.
Like others have said,Folsom is a hard lake to figure out,but each time out i'm getting the hang of it
and catch a few.If nothing else i enjoy the time on the water.
Anyway.Good luck and enjoy.
TT

BradL
02-09-2012, 08:26 PM
Brad.
I just want to say welcome to the boards.Great place to be and get some great info.
I fish Folsom 3-4 times a year trolling from my 14ft Valco.
Like others have said,Folsom is a hard lake to figure out,but each time out i'm getting the hang of it
and catch a few.If nothing else i enjoy the time on the water.
Anyway.Good luck and enjoy.
TT

try to be out at dawn or in the evening, at 5 percent look for steep points, the lake is lower now so try to find a point that has a bit of a drop off so you dont have to launch baits out a ways. Also, look at the DFG website. If they plant granite bay the week you are planning on fishing then go out later in the week
Goodluck!

Thanks guys!

Here is the plan:

I am going out Monday morning. I'm going to find a spot amongst the mentioned locations and be set up early. I will bring two poles, one will be a kastmaster to keep me busy. The other will alternate between a sliding egg sinker with inflated crawler, and crawler off the top with a bobber.

I will report back, and any more opinions or tips are welcome :Gone_fishing:

GNappers
02-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Good question. I have fished folsom about 6 times and usually park near Salmon Falls bridge and walk. I have seen 1 nice trout caught neat the old bridge on a castmaster, heard about a 10 pound catfish caught on livers, but I have never caught anything trying every different bait for catfish and lures and pb/pw/pe's for trout. I did get some action on a gold castmaster but the fish came off close to shore. Going to take the info from this post and try my luck at least 1 more time.

BradL
02-12-2012, 07:54 AM
Good question. I have fished folsom about 6 times and usually park near Salmon Falls bridge and walk. I have seen 1 nice trout caught neat the old bridge on a castmaster, heard about a 10 pound catfish caught on livers, but I have never caught anything trying every different bait for catfish and lures and pb/pw/pe's for trout. I did get some action on a gold castmaster but the fish came off close to shore. Going to take the info from this post and try my luck at least 1 more time.

Good luck. I am going out today just to look for spots. Make sure to report back!

BradL
02-16-2012, 10:28 AM
I just wanted to post an update for those who have offerred advice.

I have been out three times in the last two weeks.I have tried a bunch of spots between granite bay launch and beals point with mulitple set ups. Inflated crawlers off the bottom, crawlers off the top, powerbait off the bottom, multiple spoons. Not even a bite yet.

Im am going to start trying browns ravine after they stock this week.

Any more advice is welcome, and thanks again!

Ray9368
02-16-2012, 02:34 PM
I was out on Folsom yesterday. Wind was a real pain, felt more like San Francisco Bay than my usually calm lake :) Anyway, there were a lot of guys shore fishing right at the Hobie launch at Brown's Ravine. I had to actually displace some of them when I launched and later when I put the boat back on the trailer. They looked to be using the normal power bait and/or crawler set ups, and were catching some planter rainbows. It looked like most everyone had a fish or two, and these were decent sized for planters. Thought you might want to know. All I managed to catch trolling was a couple of small kings.

Ray

BradL
02-16-2012, 02:47 PM
I was out on Folsom yesterday. Wind was a real pain, felt more like San Francisco Bay than my usually calm lake :) Anyway, there were a lot of guys shore fishing right at the Hobie launch at Brown's Ravine. I had to actually displace some of them when I launched and later when I put the boat back on the trailer. They looked to be using the normal power bait and/or crawler set ups, and were catching some planter rainbows. It looked like most everyone had a fish or two, and these were decent sized for planters. Thought you might want to know. All I managed to catch trolling was a couple of small kings.

Ray

You rock! I'll try that out next week. Thanks for the heads up. Ill look for the (hobie?) launch and go from there.

Were you out early?

Ray9368
02-16-2012, 02:53 PM
I launched at around 7:30, and was thoroughly beaten up by the wind by 10:30 and left then.

Ray

BradL
02-16-2012, 08:14 PM
I launched at around 7:30, and was thoroughly beaten up by the wind by 10:30 and left then.

Ray

Alright, thanks.

BradL
02-19-2012, 06:11 PM
Caught a couple out there today guys.

imgur: the simple image sharer (http://imgur.com/ZVHWd)