PDA

View Full Version : Pismo Fishing?

BigRichClovis
04-02-2007, 06:55 PM
I am going to Oceano Dunes in two weeks and I wanted to know if it is worth bring some fishing gear. What should I bring or buy. Thanks for any info.

Rich

BASNFAN
04-02-2007, 07:28 PM
Hay Rich, I don't have any current info but I assume you are talking surf fishing. Its a good area for surf perch. I fished the Moro Bay area summer before last and this year the first week of May we will be at Pismo Beach for a week so I will be giving it a try then. If you want further info, gear etc., let me know and I will try and share my limited knowledge. April/May should ge good times to fish down there. :)
BASNFAN

BigRichClovis
04-03-2007, 06:47 AM
BASFAN, Let me know what you use. When I fish for them in Oregon I will throw Kastmasters and grubs for them. Any info would be good. Thanks,
Rich

smithstation
04-03-2007, 09:15 AM
We hit pismo 3-4 times a year. We ride the quads but when we rest we fish. 11 ft. surf rod with 15lb. line. 3-6oz weight with #4 hooks on a hi-low rig. Use store bought shrimp and catch a lot of perch. Late in the evening or on a good high tide use a sliding weight and squid and you can catch a few sharks. There is also a pier to fish off of but I have not tried it. Used to fish the pier at avala and cought a few halibut and sharks at night. Avala is where the swimmer was killed a few years back by a g-white. Maybe you will hoo in to one!! ;D ;D

sethonious
04-03-2007, 09:22 AM
By my calculations it looks like there might be a grunion run from about midnight to 2 am on April 15th and 16th. (i.e. 6+ tide and a waning full moon) I am not sure if you are there on those specific dates, but you can do the calculations for when you are there with these websites:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/MRD/grnindx3.html
http://www.life-cycles-destiny.com/dw/lunar-calendar-moon-phase-cycle.htm
http://www.boatharbors.com/california_tide_and_current_predictor.htm

The second and third websites are generally helpful regardless of grunions, and you might want to book mark them.

Sin_Coast
04-03-2007, 09:24 AM
For perch, you should use a 7.5--8 ft rod with 10lb test. Throw 1.5 inch Kalins curly-tail grubs behind a sliding egg sinker (about 1/2 to 3/4 oz is perfect). Rig it like a carolina rig for bassin---sliding sinker, bead, barrel swivel, about 2 foot leader, and the grub on a size 4 hook. You can also use some of those new Gulp sandworms if you don't feel like casting a grub over and over again. Just cut them into 3 inch pieces and thread them on the hook. Then just cast out and wait….might want to get a sandspike for this type of fishing.
There is tons of info on the net about Morro Bay and Cayucos. Lots of guys on pierfishing.com fish for sharks down there. You can also get lucky and catch an early-season halibut too! Or if you want to catch rockfish, just drive up the coast about 30 minutes and fish off the rocks with frozen squid.
So many fish to catch…so little time!
Good luck!

BigRichClovis
04-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Thanks for all the good info. I will let you know how we do.

Rich

BASNFAN
04-03-2007, 06:26 PM
Triumph, there were two types of fishing hear - bait and soft plastics like grubs and Gulp Sandworms. The heavier outfits are more for the bait and lighter outfits for grubs, etc. I like the 7 1/2 to 8 ft rods and 10 pound line for the grubs and sandworms on the Carolina rig, but for that style, you can get by with shorter rods.
BASNFAN

BigRichClovis
04-03-2007, 06:37 PM
What size and color grubs? What about hooks? Do you use bass hooks or bait hooks. Some body said a #4.

Rich

Sin_Coast
04-04-2007, 11:41 AM
Kalin's grub colors: Motor Oil Red Flake, Perch Power, Rootbeer, or anything with red.
Hooks: just regular bait hooks, either size 4 or 6.

You can thread the grub on there or just nose hook it. Both techniques work. Don't cast it to the moon; the perch are in the whitewash.

And I fish with bait often. Using an 8 foot spinning setup. Pileworms and bloodworms work best but you can also use sandcrabs or shrimp. Or even clams if you can dig some up...but you'd be better served steaming them for dinner if you happen to find some.

Good luck!