PDA

View Full Version : 1st Off Season Trip to our Hwy 4 Honey Hole

streamcaster
02-06-2012, 10:34 PM
We could not have picked a better winter weekend to get out to one of our favorite off season "honey holes." Three dads, three kids (4-7 yrs old) and four dogs (including two four-month old pups) weathering cold nights and mornings doing one of the things we enjoy most. Only one pic with a fish in it, but we all shared an exceptional weekend watching our kids excited about fishing (in the cold), eating well and spending time with good friends who share a love of fishing/the outdoors.

The fish count in the twenties (mostly browns and three rainbows). We usually C & R, but kept 6 between 16 to 19 inches to share with a couple of old timers who used to take us fishing as kids. Two of them can no longer get out (especially in the winter), but they enjoy our stories and the trout we bring home.

Here's to the dads, grandpas, uncles and others 8939894089418942who took us fishing as kids!!!

Fishbucket
02-07-2012, 07:19 AM
Way to Go !

looks awesome

RideNfish
02-07-2012, 08:07 AM
Good job SC,
Looks like a great time for sure! Family and friends in the woods, how perfect is that?! Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Scottish pride
02-07-2012, 08:16 AM
Thanks for sharing, to me that sounds perfect. I love the excitement you can see in their eyes.family and friends together.....perfect!!

JwG
02-07-2012, 08:16 AM
Here's to the dads, grandpas, uncles and others

who took us fishing as kids!!!

Looks like you guys had a great time up there!!http://www.fishsniffer.com/images/icons/icon14.png

Great pictures of all those future fishing experts and guides.

Thanks for the wonderful thread streamcaster.

JTroutMan
02-07-2012, 10:50 AM
We could not have picked a better winter weekend to get out to one of our favorite off season "honey holes." Three dads, three kids (4-7 yrs old) and four dogs (including two four-month old pups) weathering cold nights and mornings doing one of the things we enjoy most. Only one pic with a fish in it, but we all shared an exceptional weekend watching our kids excited about fishing (in the cold), eating well and spending time with good friends who share a love of fishing/the outdoors.

The fish count in the twenties (mostly browns and three rainbows). We usually C & R, but kept 6 between 16 to 19 inches to share with a couple of old timers who used to take us fishing as kids. Two of them can no longer get out (especially in the winter), but they enjoy our stories and the trout we bring home.

Here's to the dads, grandpas, uncles and others 8939894089418942who took us fishing as kids!!!
Fishing results alone in Feb deserve kudos, but golden bonus points for handling it with kids that young and pups to boot! Good job. I remember taking my son when he was 6 at a high country lake and we were nailing them right and left, and he still said "when we going home, it's getting boring". Ha, I told him it didn't get much better than this (of course, he improved with age).

KokeNut
02-07-2012, 02:09 PM
Streamcaster,
Great job on those browns and bows - love the pics - their hooked for life now!! Thanks for the post and pics... Kokenut (Jeff)

streamcaster
02-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Thanks gentlemen!

All three kids have been on this trip since they were 3 years old and they seem to enjoy fishing/outdoors more every year.

One of the funniest stories of this trip involves my 5 yr old son, the little one all bundled up w/the glasses and hat.
We arrived late Friday afternoon just in time to set-up camp and get in a few casts before dark. I hook-up twice and he very excitedly reels in the fish. At bed time he says "I want get up early and fish ALL day tomorrow, daddy." We get-up early fish all morning, break for lunch, rest and fish again in the afternoon - walking the reservoir a couple of times. I hook up several times and he reels fish in. We stop for dinner and share time around the fire. Before going to bed, my son says, "I want to get up early again and fish more in the morning, daddy." No sooner does his head hit the pillow and he's out/worn out from a full day of walking and catching. 5 am Sunday morning he sits straight up in bed and says "it's time to go fishing, Daddy!" I tell him it's very cold and still dark outside and he falls back to sleep. At 7:30 we fish and walk the reservoir one more time and fish for two hours. We get back to camp and I tell him we have to start packing up and get ready to go home (I wanted to at least catch some of the super bowl). We start packing up and mother nature is calling me, so I go into the woods. My son takes advantage of this opportunity to go into the truck, get's a fishing pole and starts fishing some more!!! One of my buddy's says, "your kid couldn't wait for you to turn your back so he could keep fishing." How can you get upset with a 5 year old who's hooked!!!

Streamcaster

fshnhunt
02-07-2012, 11:27 PM
Great pic's. Love the Labs too. Whitepines is where my now 16 yr old son caught his first fish. Good to see they are still stocking it.