PDA

View Full Version : Trolling rod reel set ups?

Akasha Twi-Path
02-07-2012, 01:17 AM
looking at getting a nice trolling rod but dont know where to start any ideas?

ive been looking at some shimano's
i mostly top line and would like to have another reel for leadcore if that helps

Jfitalia
02-07-2012, 08:24 AM
if your mostly top lining then a 7 or 7.5ft rod rated 4-10lb is good. you could probably get away with some of the lite kokanee rods but with over 100ft of line out they can be to light to bury a hook. as for reels a basic abu 4600 is perfect, I know a lot of people like the tica reels but they are not worth the $80. granted they have a clicker but they have a grainy feel when you reel. save the money and buy a used abu for 4600 and have a clicker put it. I have 2 guys in sacramento that will do it for around $15.

Barleycorn
02-07-2012, 08:58 AM

i mostly top line and would like to have another reel for leadcore if that helps St Croix crankbait pc66mm is one of my favorites for toplining trout. My 2 cents!

Jfitalia
02-07-2012, 09:10 AM
St Croix crankbait pc66mm is one of my favorites for toplining trout. My 2 cents!

that's a great rod! also lamiglas has their medium power 6-12lb topwater rod which is great to

Jetspray
02-07-2012, 05:01 PM

i mostly top line and would like to have another reel for leadcore if that helps

I would separate using leadcore from a trolling rod myself (different animal on gear). First you need to know if you are using downriggers or just free wheeling the surface. I have different rods and setups for most anything. 8 of them have leadcore on them and others do not. I like using reels with counters on them to keep everything and make sure they have clickers if you are using DR's. Lamglas and others make fine rods, but you need to be sure they are matched with your reel and what you are trying to accomplish:thumbsup:........Jetspray