PDA

View Full Version : Berkeley Pier

SpinReelFisher
03-26-2007, 01:46 PM
Does anyone else fish Berkeley Pier? Anyone else ever hook up with a sturgeon there? How do you target specific fish? (Sturgeon vs. sharks vs. rays vs. all the others)

We've pretty much figured out the rays and the smoothounds using cut squid. The leopards will hit that too; even had a sturgeon and a striper hit on the squid before.

But I know there's other stuff out there that we're missing. Anyone have suggestions?

Any info would be appreciated! Thanks.

Hiking-Jay
03-26-2007, 02:56 PM
Live bait is the trick at Berkeley Pier. Anchovies, shiner perch, and jack smelt have all produced striper and halibut for me there. Live perch fished at night with heavy wire leaders will get you a sevengill occasionally. I've seen sturgeon picked up on frozen herring there before too, but only rarely. Dead squid and anchovies fished on the bottom are the trick for bat rays.

Another good resource for this info is to do a search for "Berkeley Pier" on this site and on pierfishing.com.

Good luck!

SpinReelFisher
03-26-2007, 03:41 PM
Is there a place to get the live bait on the way from Sacramento (where I live) to Berkeley? I think I've come across a few places before, but if someone knows a place off-hand...that would be great! Thanks.

What time of day are the striper and halibut caught? Also, what tide conditions? (outgoing/incoming...high/low?) Line/hook size used?

I've been using anything from 15-30lb line out there. What's the reccommendedation? I'm afraid to fish with anything lighter than 20 because I've hooked up with some LARGE fish before...like this Saturday night....70-80 lb bat ray! It took a lot of effort to land that thing considering how many times it decided to go to around the end to the other side of the pier and back again...we were lucky not to break the line!!

bretmoua
03-27-2007, 07:07 AM
Instead of buying the bait, why not use cast net at the pier to get bait. It's legal to use cast net at that pier. I've done it before and many others have. Either that, or you can simply fish for the perch near the rocks and then use them as bait. Just trying to save you some $$$$$ ;D

Big_Easy
03-27-2007, 08:40 AM
They usually sell live bait at the docks in back of the marina. $15-20 for a quarter scoop! :-/

Or you can invest in a throw net and get busy catching to catch! ;D One way or another you will pay!

530hammer
03-27-2007, 09:27 AM
catch your own i threw my net down there about 5 times 2 weeks ago to see if the bait was there and theres alot there

fishingrick57
04-02-2007, 06:33 PM
Most of the time there is someone at the front of the pier who will have a cooler full of live bait - Ask him how much. And if not- try those kabuki(?) rigs.

SpinReelFisher
04-02-2007, 07:38 PM
Thanks for all the good suggestions.

Does anyone go out there in the evenings? My bud and I usually try to go down there a few times a month between April and September since it seems like fishing picks up for us around then. It'd be nice to catch a Sniffer out there sometime.

FinshingSW
04-02-2007, 09:33 PM
Yeah, I hit that place up about once a week.

You just never know what you're going to get.

Could be bull-heads, could be a 7-Gill?

pinfish
04-02-2007, 10:24 PM
yeah you can try a sabiki rig to catch bait. or throw a cast net. or small bits of worms or shrimp suspended for the smelt or shiner perch. (remember only shiner perch as perch season is closed now). If there's schools of anchovies they'll bit once in a awhile, most defintately a sabaiki. There used to be alot of bullheads there years ago. Kingfish, a rare flounder, a rare sturgeon. its mostly sharks and rays.

bp is live bait when its on. when the water is murky as it usually is in the late afternoon (plus the wind), the game fish will take bait but you do have to go thru all those cartilagenous species.

even hairraisers for stripers sometimes

SpinReelFisher
04-03-2007, 09:49 AM
Since I live in Sacramento, it's a little more difficult to hit Berkeley as often as I'd like, but I think this coming week I'll try to head down there once ir twice.

Does anyone use grass/ghost shrimp or pile worms? I know they work a little ways up into the delta, but what about there at berkeley? Is that too far to expect any return on that bait?

pinfish
04-03-2007, 10:17 AM
yes those work good