PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Questions

northrivermn
03-31-2007, 04:42 PM
What advice or cautions do you offer to running a 18' North River with 115 prop from San F Bay under gate to fish off shore? Are there better choices to access off shore fishing?

krzyfshrmn
03-31-2007, 06:57 PM
Going out the gate can be pretty hairy most of the time, especially with a bigger outgoing tide. Bodega Bay or Half Moon Bay are much friendlier to smaller boats. If you are a newby to the ocean, I would'nt advise going out the gate untill you get a better feel for the water.

donzitroller
03-31-2007, 07:00 PM
I hate goin under the gate unless I'm on someone else's boat. I guess you hear so many horror stories it kind of becomes urban legend.. but this one is real so be careful if you do, and I advise you to go with someone who's done it before cuz ya just never know. Don't let us be readin about you in the dang papers!

Fish_R_Us
04-02-2007, 07:41 AM
Navigation out the Gate during high ebb flows can get a bit hairy in a small watercraft. You can watch the skippers navigate if you are crabbing at the Fort Point Pier. The crabbing won't be so hot during the ebb, however one can watch the partyboats and private craft going out, especially in the mornings between 6-9am. They seem to prefer to ride the trip out on the north side of the channel, twords the Point Diablo side. Pay attention to the Freighters and Oil Tankers who mainly transit the area at the middle channel. I don't worry much going thru the Gate, it's when you head north to Duxberry via the PotatoPatch. That is where it gets amusing.

65whaler
04-02-2007, 01:28 PM
i would listen to krzy and donzi on this one.

Walt_Vee
04-02-2007, 01:43 PM
You definately have to pick your days *;) *You may want to consider Bodega if this would be your first time out in your 18' NR. *I turned a Striper owner into a believer in my 18' NR ;D * Again you definately need to do some homework pick you days and have a back up plan. *Good luck !!.

Walt

CPTN_JACK
04-02-2007, 02:15 PM
take the good advise givin here and dont round Pt. Bonita without some sea time behind you!! it can be a deadly mistake in any size fishing vessel without experience!! Try to deckhand for a skipper thats got the seatime and learn the ins and outs of the ports before you go alone!! Best of luck,, see ya out there!! CJ [smiley=captjack.gif]