PDA

View Full Version : Melones Team slays em again [ PICS ] Feb 08

RideNfish
02-09-2012, 09:10 AM
Well, I don't know about "slaying them" but we did pretty good with landing about three limits worth for the two of us.

Bassboy (BB) and I wanted to work Melones again and hiked a couple of miles to an area we had worked before. We arrived at the lake at about 06:15 and after our hike with L.E.D lights on our heads (for the first few min) we got to our destination and had lines wet at 06:45. We really tried to get into some nice hold overs with some Rapalas and such but couldn't get a bite. We each put a bait rod out and continued throwing our lures. At about 08:30 I land the first fish of the day. Nothing real special but about 14" or so and nice and bright that hit on worm that I brought from my garden. Back in the lake he went. BB was over helping me with my fish since we were in a bad place to land fish. As he was helping my his bait rod was out of our sight with a bend in the bank. He leaves to go back to his rod and it's on the ground out of the little rod holder. I can't see him but I hear out loud laughing cause he thought he was hung up in a branch or something until the branch pulled back! He landed this nice 16" or so that had nice hold over colors but the flash hid that from the pic.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/ScreaminRK/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_1527.jpg

A bit later at about 10:00 I was standing over one of my bait rods. Had two out to take a break from all the casting I had done. BB and I are chatting looking towards each other and he starts saying, YOUR POLE your pole!!!. Of course I look to the rod to the left of me which was doing nothing then look down at the one I'm literally standing over and it is bent down something fierce. I grab the rod and could tell immediately that this was something a little better. He was pulling real hard and consistently pulling that way. He took line and thrashed around for a bit before we landed this nice 18" real dark colors and his fins were real pink. I have to find a way for my camera to make the colors stand out.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/ScreaminRK/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_1533.jpg

Here is another pic but I don't like it since I am saying something as BB takes the shot. But I do like how it shows the fish.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/ScreaminRK/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_1532.jpg

The funny thing about our catch pattern is, I landed the first then BB landed his, then me, then him, and so on. It stayed this way until we had 5 each (most released). They were all caught on a mix of worms and rainbow PB. We were having a great time with bites just often enough to keep you closely watching your pole. We finally decided to call it for that spot and wanted to fish an area that worked well for us in the past. So we took the 15 minute walk to that area and set up shop.

Does anyone know what time of year it is? My calendar must be off. It says February. Surely can't be. We were in just a T-shirt and in the new fishing spot, being in the sun, I had to pull out the sunblock cause I was really burning! Even BB asked if he could use some. BB says, "Nothing like the smell of Coppertone in Feb." haha.

Anyway we set out a couple of bait rods and start throwing. BB decides he is going to throw a Atomic Tube jig behind a bobber and mess around with that. In just a minute or two he has a fish on. His first jig trout! Here he is with the hookup and the catch.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/ScreaminRK/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_1537.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/ScreaminRK/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_1540.jpg

He was a happy camper and I was too. This fish was a nice 16" (we had tape measure no guessing here) He said the fish did all the work, he just reeled him in. The reason is it just hit and stuck. No guessing if the bite was strong enough to set a hook. The fish did it. When the fish was landed that entire jig was deep in the fishes mouth. No lite take here.

I was throwing a couple of things but then returned to my go-to purple wooly. Glad I did cause I was able to land three more fish on that and many missed and lost fish. I was having a terrible hook up ratio and not sure why. I had several just missed hits, a couple of LDR (long distance release) and a couple of SDR. The short distance release didn't bug me cause at least I got to hook and fight the fish all the way to the bank. That is where the fun is. And besides, makes for a great catch and release without touching the fish or taking him out of the water. Here are a couple with purple wooly in place.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/ScreaminRK/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_1541.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/ScreaminRK/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_1542.jpg

That would conclude our day. I think I landed 8 (not including the ones off at the bank) and BB was 6 or 7. So a 14 or 15 total for the day is good with me! We left the water at about 17:10 for about 11 hours at the lake. Not even including getting ready and drive time. Why is it 11 hours flies by and I still could of fished?

Had a great time with BB out there and look forward to the next. Thanks BB!

:cheers1:

Marv
02-09-2012, 10:41 AM
RidenFish takes me to where the fish are shares his knowledge and then thanks me, lol. Thanks but the pleasure is all mine. I had a wonderful day of fishing and chit chattin'. My face did burn a little, felt like a nice june afternoon on the lake, hehe......

Ride pretty much got it all in on his post. Here is a couple random tid bits. I got to see a family of bald eagles hunt. We also seen a massive trout jump and clear the water, had to be at least 5lbs. or more. I'm almost certain a small (10-12") brown trout followed my gold kastmaster all the way to the bank and imediately took off as soon as it see me :(

As we were tossing our last couple of times. As both of us were tossing purple wooly's i say "Melones gods please let the bugger get bit before we leave. Meaning my bugger :) 3-5 seconds later, i hear Ride giggle, lol. He said that i need to be more specific with the lake gods next time.

Fishbucket
02-09-2012, 10:42 AM
You guys suck......

Sorry, thats jealousy talking.

trollingplate
02-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Sweet report, Sweet pics, and Sweet results for THE BANKERS!!!!!

No mention of the WCI .... Secret "prototype" in use? Not willing to
include in any pictures? hmm.

Doug.. turn off the Flash from the menu screen on your camera. Not "auto"..
just "off". Might be a "lightning bolt" symbol if you are using a Canon.
That will prevent the bounce-back of the white light that is bleaching out
the rainbow colors. My Canon has a lightning bolt "button" that you just
press for "on" and "off".. The aperature of the camera will open wider, allowing
more natural light in when the flash is turned off.

WCI: Wine Cork Indicator (definition). Looked like fun in the sun!!

mariahpup
02-09-2012, 11:24 AM
Nice job Doug and Bass Boy...glad to see you guys hooking into some fish...Doug will get them no matter what on his "Purple Woolies". Looks like a grand day...hope to get out with you again soon...til then keep on slaying them...Luck to Ya! Mariahpup

O.mykiss hunter
02-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Very nice looking fish guys, thanks for sharing!

RideNfish
02-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Sweet report, Sweet pics, and Sweet results for THE BANKERS!!!!!
No mention of the WCI .... Secret "prototype" in use? Not willing to
include in any pictures? hmm.
Doug.. turn off the Flash from the menu screen on your camera.

I did use my normal WCI but did have a prototype that BB saw. It was self releasing and anti-cast fling design. Need to tweak a few things before I release it. BB saw it in action on my big trout actually.

As for the camera thanks for the info but I'm aware. :) I turned the flash on for the first fish pic of BB. The sun was on the lake behind him and we were in the shadows. So I forced it on (not auto) and used it for fill flash. When I would hand the camera to BB for my pics I forgot to turn it off. :(

Cheers,

HMONG_James_Vang
02-09-2012, 01:07 PM
nice going guys!!

KokeNut
02-09-2012, 03:06 PM
RnF and BB,
Thanks for the post and pixs - always a pleasure to read!! Those are some beautiful Bows - and you guys had the lake all to yourself. :worthy: Kokenut (Jeff)

PapaGreg
02-09-2012, 03:08 PM
Way to go!!!!!!!!!

I hit the ramp at TT today and had a few hits from 7am until noon. I moved a couple of times and finally found some fish, ended the day at 1o'clock with a limit of planters, all on hardware.

Had some bites on bait, but man, you have to be on top of them, they seem to just "mouth it" and then they're gone.

Met Schatgun at the cleaning station, he and a budy had limited out.

Marv
02-09-2012, 03:45 PM
+1 PapaGreg, on the mouthing part at TT i have lip hooked more than gut hooked. Soft bites too, as well a some bait stealing. One little tick and then your baits gone.

Congrats on your limit as well. Nice bumping into Schatgun. Im glad they did well also.

Oh yeah, RnF's new WCI is awesome and a pretty simple to make and use.

mojo209
02-09-2012, 03:48 PM
Thats what you call an EPIC day hanging with friends and catching fish! Excellent job guys.

JwG
02-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Nice job as usual out there you two!!:bananachaga:

Looks like the weather was awesome too.

Rnf, did you make BB carry all the gear and clean up the car after you got home? LOL:spongebob:
Great that you guys got together again for a super trip.

As always nice thread and pictures.
Thanks for the report.

Sideshow
02-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Great looking fish! Great looking weather... Perfect combinations!

Koke Machine83
02-09-2012, 05:17 PM
RNF: Who needs a boat, when you can do that all day from the shore. BIG Congrats to you guys. Nice Fish!!!

Marv
02-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Nice job as usual out there you two!!:bananachaga:

Looks like the weather was awesome too.

Rnf, did you make BB carry all the gear and clean up the car after you got home? LOL:spongebob:

He made me carry all the gear and prodded me in the back with a stick to move faster lol. Jk, Ride even hauled all my fish in his backpack chair back to the car.

GNappers
02-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Great report, great info and pictures where you can see the background.

JwG
02-09-2012, 05:40 PM
He made me carry all the gear and prodded me in the back with a stick to move faster lol. Jk, Ride even hauled all my fish in his backpack chair back to the car.
Awesome job BB. Glad you BOTH got into 'em.

CRABBY
02-09-2012, 07:20 PM
Doug you guys are elevating bank fishing to a new level.
Soon the market will be flooded with boats for sale!!! :)
Super post an pics,really liked the second one with BB's Mug half covered.HeHe :teaseku9:........Don

schatgun
02-09-2012, 08:34 PM
Well done gents....leave some for the rest of us....:fish_jumps:

I text Doug today while I was fishing thought he might be on the bank somewhere....was planning on cruising by and trimming the jet to spray him down....He's on fire.

Steve079
02-09-2012, 09:27 PM
Good job out there. Way to get off the beaten track to find the pretty holdover 'bows. Sometimes a little brish walk in the morning pays off, I'll have to give that a try!

RideNfish
02-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Good job out there. Way to get off the beaten track to find the pretty holdover 'bows. Sometimes a little brish walk in the morning pays off, I'll have to give that a try!

I need to still learn from ya Steve. I hope to share the bank with ya sometime.

I text Doug today while I was fishing thought he might be on the bank somewhere....was planning on cruising by and trimming the jet to spray him down....He's on fire.

And I thought you were being nice. Like maybe consider taking me fishing for an hour then dropping me back on the bank. But NOOOOO you wanted to douse me! You heard about pay backs, right? :)

:cheers:

Marv
02-09-2012, 09:53 PM
Well done gents....leave some for the rest of us....:fish_jumps:

I fell for it too, lol. I thought the same thing Ride. Schatgun you made me spit a little soda on my screen. :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::

currdog7
02-10-2012, 04:44 PM
Good job. Thanks for posting. I always look for your post as they informative and fun to read and see the fish. Thanks a lot!

Team Mc Fishing
02-10-2012, 04:55 PM
I would pick you guys up and show you some bank fishing from the boat. We are doing our next New Melones video on Planer board techniques. I run those boards right up against the rock walls for fish, fun to get a bite right along the wall when you have all that water out in the middle and all the boat you need to explore it, but you don't give up on checking areas the other boats won't think of trying.

Team Mc Fishing Pro Staff

RideNfish
02-10-2012, 05:29 PM
I would pick you guys up and show you some bank fishing from the boat.

Please do!!! I would be happy to polish some metal on your boat for and exchange program :p

Cheers,

RideNfish
02-10-2012, 05:32 PM
Good job. Thanks for posting. I always look for your post as they informative and fun to read and see the fish. Thanks a lot!

Thank you currdog,
Very nice of you to say. I hope we can share some water sometime. Especially since I drive through your town on the way up :0)

:cheers: