PDA

View Full Version : Fish & Sun Tans @ Melones

schatgun
02-09-2012, 08:20 PM
My buddy Kenny & I headed up to Melones today (2-9-11)hoping to get into something good. We decided to make it an early start with an early finish bc we both had other obligations at home (both of my boy’s first baseball practices of the year). I wasn't too excited about the full moon….but hey you gotta fish when you have the opportunity.
I decided to skip the mainstream “fish upriver, fish the creeks” thing today & went scouting for new water & new spots. We were the 1st boat at Tuttletown Ramp & the 2nd to be in the water.
We were fishing by 0635 & 1st fish on @0640. We cranked out 3 fish within the 1st 10 minutes….awesome start to what ended up being a great day. We worked the new area picking up several fish. Lots of bait around so we continued to work the several bait balls we found with great success. The sun came up and it warmed up quick. We were down to t-shirts by 0930. Incredibly beautiful day weather wise and water wise….it was glass all day.

Kenny pulling in 1st fish of the day.
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k500/Schatgun/SAM_0174.jpg

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k500/Schatgun/SAM_0183.jpgThe sidplaner and downrigger @ work.....notice how smooth the water is.

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k500/Schatgun/SAM_0176.jpg
One of two bass caught today...
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k500/Schatgun/SAM_0184.jpg
Kenny mixing business w/ pleasure....

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k500/Schatgun/SAM_0181.jpg
Nice colors!!!

Ended the day right at 1230 with 21 fish to the boat…including 2 bass and sweet new tan. We kept our limits and released the remainder. Rapalas, needlefish, & excel spoons were the ticket for us. Left my fresh new batch of Mag Tackle sitting at home (wanted to kick myself for that one). We fished topline down to 13’. MetPapaGreg at the fish cleaning station with his limit. Nice seeing you & meeting PapaGreg. We only saw one other boat were we where but the parking lot was stuffed. They must have all shot way upriver….Glad we missed the crowd. Curious how they all did. All the fish we caught were fat healthy fish….not the typical DFG “Put & Take” fish. We got one beautiful spawning male rainbow too…gorgeous colors. Until next time…..HAPPY FISHING!!!

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k500/Schatgun/SAM_0187.jpg
Our final take of the day....No spoon / spatula tails here....

RideNfish
02-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Awesome job guys! The colors are gorgeous on that bow! Much better size than before. You may be catching up to us "Banker" guys. LOL

Thanks for the great report and glad you did well. Thanks for texting me to see if I was around. I was pooped from all the hiking that Bassboy and I did. Not just sitting in a freak'n boat! haha. I will take the boat anytime.

Cheers,

AngelosPop
02-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Nice job guys! Awesome day on the water, almost glass and catching fish. Hard to ask for much more!

Steve079
02-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Nice work guys. Just goes to show you that sometimes "Mainstream" may not be the best stream. Like seeing the planer boards working and the sweet holdover 'bow.

Marv
02-09-2012, 10:10 PM
:1sheep03h7ot: Schatgun you guys killed today, way to go. As mentioned before, way to go on not doin' the typical thing. That male is one of the nicer looking fish i've seen, super brilliant colors. Look @ those gill plates :)

trollingplate
02-09-2012, 10:21 PM
WOWZERS...

I especially liked your t-shirt Schat !!!

As always...great post.... TP

JwG
02-10-2012, 05:57 AM
NICE one schatgun!!

You are giving that new fish holder a real work out!
Some good looking fish right there.http://www.fishsniffer.com/images/icons/icon14.png

Did I see your picture in a recent published fishing report? :carlo5wu:

I thought RnF said he took your boat plug and was holding it hostage.
LOL

You are having a good start to the year.
Great report and pictures.

Thanks for the thread.

Lucky Lund
02-10-2012, 07:09 AM
You guys slayed'em, great report and pics. So much for that 'moon' thing!

gills
02-10-2012, 08:08 AM
Looks like Melones has all the good fish...:dancingorange:

Gills

humboldtfisher
02-10-2012, 11:14 AM
very very nice

Sideshow
02-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Great looking fish!

Team Mc Fishing
02-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Yeah that moon and pre storm cold front didn't help us when we filmed our video on melones. But we will be back up there to film for a melones video, that should be fun. I can't wait for spring!

Team Mc Fishing Pro Staff

Marv
02-10-2012, 12:03 PM
Team McFish can you please post the video or a link when it's finished. I really like to see it. Thanks.

Team Mc Fishing
02-10-2012, 02:27 PM
Its on my web site under the videos link. You can see my web site listed under my profile. I dont want to advertise my link without clearing it first by the powers that be here. I am a regular at New Melones and plan to possibly even retire and move to that area when I grow up... Lol let me know if you have trouble finding it by PM and I will send you the direct link for it.

Team Mc Fishing
02-10-2012, 02:32 PM
I just double checked and I dont even see my web link in my profile. Well if you want to see it just ask and I will send you the link. Its a how to kind of video about Trout fishing New Melones and I just enjoy sharing what I have figured out with others. The videos are a new thing since we are working with another fishing team that does the videos for their foundation that raises money for kids fishing events. My team focuses our efforts on volunteering with Purple Heart Anglers that takes out disabled veterans on fishing and hunting trips.

CRABBY
02-10-2012, 04:05 PM
Its on my web site under the videos link. You can see my web site listed under my profile. I dont want to advertise my link without clearing it first by the powers that be here. I am a re
gular at New Melones and plan to possibly even retire and move to that area when I grow up... Lol let me know if you have trouble finding it by PM and I will send you the direct link for it.

Team Mc Fishing Pro StaffDoug when a member asks for your link there's no problem providing it.Or put it on your profile where they can view it....Don
http://www.team-mc-fishing.com/
Found it BB,on his home page

mgcrumster
02-10-2012, 04:25 PM
Hello schatgun;

What a killer trip, I'm going to have to try wetting a line up there, it seems the place to go, but would make for a loooong day coming from Clovis! Congrats on a great trip, and hope your Son's practice went well.

Cheers, mgcrumster

schatgun
02-10-2012, 05:09 PM
I have found over years of experience & through endless trial & error that moon phases and weather changes whether its cold fronts or barometic changes, doesn't stop the fish from feeding....it only changes thier feeding habits and behavior. Fish are predators and will eat when the oppurtunity presents itself....you just gotta provide the oppurtunity for them. They like easy meals regardless of the weather or where the moon is...Just like me, if someone puts a bowl of ice cream or an ice cold beer right in front of me of course I'm gonna eat/drink it....but if I gotta drive down to the grocery story, I may be more likely to pass..depending on my mood. But if the weather is right and the moon & stars are aligned, I'll take the trip....I like my beer.:beer_2:.......besides, in the large scheme of things.....who cares? I'm fishing...not working...:fishing5:

Polebrother
02-10-2012, 05:10 PM
Beautiful rainbow...heck of a tan on that dude, too. Great pic!

Kyle Wise
02-10-2012, 06:07 PM
Jon congrats on a great day at Melones wish I could've made it but their were other things that needed tending to. See you soon.

Team Mc Fishing
02-10-2012, 07:13 PM
Thanks Don, I just didn't want to post stuff if I shouldn't be. I was trying at first to send it to bassboy but his type of lettering wouldn't let me send a reply until I cleared and typed his name in. that was our first video and we are looking at doing more, the trips and business side of things is to help get disabled veterans out with us through our work with Purple Heart Anglers. Thanks for mentioning my site Don.

Easy Limit
02-11-2012, 12:59 PM
Those are some nice looking fish there...

GNappers
02-11-2012, 02:21 PM
That is one of the prettiest tastiest looking trout I have seen. Thank you for the report.