PDA

View Full Version : Went to Temescal Today... Minutes after a Trout Plant

TroutGhost
02-09-2012, 08:25 PM
Was fishing to the right of the dock that's across from the handicapped dock and getting decent action this afternoon. The planters were on the small side but it was pretty fun. A kid on the dock was dropshotting a power worm and pulling out fish after fish, virtually a trout with every cast. The trout were actually bunched up in front of the dock. He was catching and releasing a lot of trout.

Funny thing is that they weren't hooking themselves. If the rod started bending I had to jump on it and set the hook because they would otherwise get away. Likely because I was using size 16 hooks today. Kept three and released the rest.

:yahoo:

Here's another odd thing about the planters, they seemed to be hanging out in the sunny part of the lake.

Fried them up for dinner with a smoked paprika/olive oil marinade. No deboning, we eat the trout bones and all. Wife said it was some of the best trout she ever had. :)

sja
02-09-2012, 09:20 PM
Nice job TG!:thumbup:**Just proves that planted trout will hit the day of the plant!

TroutGhost
02-09-2012, 10:52 PM
Just proves that planted trout...

LOL. Yah, I have always wanted to dip my pole in freshly planted waters just because I've never done that before. That's one off my list, yee-haw!

What's really got me excited is having watched the kid on the dock do the drop shot thing with his UL pole and that he took a few minutes to show me how he did it. Was really cool to see that in action. It's one more technique I can use. Great to learn something new.

gyt
02-12-2012, 04:00 PM
I was wondering why there were so many people at the lake today. Thanks.

-Guy who you thought was going to cross your line (lol)

TroutGhost
02-12-2012, 06:20 PM
Guy who you thought was going to cross your line

Hey, let me be the first to give you a warm welcome to the forum. ;) No hard feelings, but it's not just potentially crossing my line, but also scaring the fish away by tossing a kastmaster directly over the spot where an angler is fishing. Throwing a kastmaster directly over the spot where someone else is fishing won't endear you to other anglers. ;)

Fishbucket
02-12-2012, 07:01 PM
Throwing a kastmaster directly over the spot where someone else is fishing

You might as well throw in one of your shoes... they make that same ker-plop.

OneTrueBob
02-14-2012, 11:49 AM
TG - Glad you were able to get out to Temescal post plant. I too was there that day and took home 3 nice trout and released 4 more smaller ones, all planters. The bite was only on for about 1 hour... getting that many hits in such a short time was exciting. All my catches were on White Power Eggs. Pink PW and crawlers did not get a single hit.

I had went the previous day, but got skunked on Trout, even trying all the above + PB in various colors. Caught a couple of junior bass on rattle trap and spinner bait. Young man across the lake landed a 5+ on green power bait. He had no net and had an exciting battle with several runs. His buddy finally helped him land the fish.

Our wives agree!!! Some of the best lake trout she has had in the last couple of years. Stuffed ours with sage, wrapped in prosciutto and covered with Olive Oil. Broiled in the oven and finished with Lemon Butter Garlic Sauce! Damn TASTY!!

And I also agree... if you drop a lure anywhere near my lines, I will speak up. This is just basic fishing etiquette. If you are going to fish public lakes, you should respect the space of others fishing near you.

TIGHT LINES!!! :action-smiley-035: