PDA

View Full Version : MLPA To affect North Central Region

donzitroller
03-29-2007, 02:31 PM
This was taken from the Striper Owners Club with permission from White Bear (the SOC Admin), this affects Dux, Tomales, Bodega, Fort Ross, Salt Point, and other areas:

For those that have not read it, here's some information that Ben Sleeter put together:

1: What is the MLPA?

The MLPA is the Marine Life Protection Act, a law passed in 1999 by the California Legislature. The law calls for numerous things including a ‘network of Marine Protected Areas (MPAs)’ in California state waters (out to 3 miles). The “MLPA” is the actual law passed and MPAs are areas closed or restricted to fishing.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

2: Is there a real possibility of having good fishing regions such as Duxbury Reef and the Farallon Islands closed to fishing?

Yes there is. In addition to Duxburry and the Islands, places like Point Reyes, Pedro Point, Bodega Head, Tomales Bay, and Point Arena are possible locations for Marine Protected Areas (MPAs). In fact, any area within state waters is a potential candidate for an MPA.

3: If so, when could this happen?

The MLPA is being implemented in the North-Central Region (between Pigeon Point and Point Arena) starting now. By April of 2008 it is likely that the areas selected as MPAs will become official. However, most of the outcome will be decided by the end of the year (2007). The stakeholder group selected to develop a plan of MPAs will be working throughout the spring, summer, and fall to come up with a plan(s).

4: This doesn't mean salmon or albacore too does it?

Yes it could. There are three types of MPAs: Marine Reserves, Conservation Areas, and Parks. Conservation Areas and Parks can allow some fishing for species such as salmon, albacore, crab, abalone, rockfish, etc... Marine Reserves prohibit the take of all species within their boundaries.

5: Is the Central Coast really having regions being closed to all fishing and, if it is near the coast, well, how far off shore......just a hundred feet or so right?

Yes, the Central Coast (Point Conception to Pigeon Point) will have about 8% of state waters closed to all types of fishing. These areas range from only protecting intertidal areas to some extending out to 3 miles. Maps of the proposed closed areas can be found here:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/mlpa/pdfs/commission081506nc.pdf
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/mlpa/pdfs/commission081506sc.pdf

6: WHO is doing all of this, and why?

The MLPA is California State law. The State of California is now implementing the MLPA that was passed back in 1999 but not funded until recently. The funding is coming from private interests and specifically from a group called the Resources Legacy Fund Foundation (RLFF). The state is implementing the MLPA because it is law.

7: This won't be happening for a long time though, will it.........like maybe it is possible in 10 years, and..........never closed forever, maybe closed for 1 or 2 years just to get things going again.

This is happening right now. The Channel Islands were the first to have MPAs implemented, then just recently the Central Coast, and now the North-Central Coast. The process will take a little over one year to complete. We will have a full network of MPAs by roughly this time next year (Spring). For all intensive purposes, MPAs are fairly permanent – at least the boundaries are. These areas will be evaluated every five years and there is some ability to modify regulations within the boundaries of MPAs. However, it is important to understand that what we get now will be with us for a very long time. We have one shot at this and it is very important to do it right.

8: Why hasn't anything been said (remember, many do not spend a lot of time on these forums)?

This is a tough question to answer. The truth is we have to do a better job of getting word out to people with a vested interest in our marine resources. This will be a goal of ours over the coming months. It is also crucial that people begin to ask questions and get informed on the issues. It is also important that the DFG to their part to educate the public about MPAs.

9: Then what now?

Now it is time for us to begin planning and developing MPA alternatives. But before that can occur everybody needs to take some time and get informed about the issues. This is an amazingly complex issue that takes a lot of time to get your head around. Ask questions, no matter how elementary you think they are. This post is an excellent start! Coastside will be asking a lot from its membership in the coming months. Please be prepared to participate when asked. Your participation is the key to all of this.

10: What can "we" as individual members do to affect the MLPA process?

Ask questions to start. Ask LOTS of questions. There is also a lot of reading available on the Department of Fish and Games website:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/mlpa/index.html

Coastside will be releasing a map survey in the coming week asking anglers and divers to identify “areas of importance”. This will enable us to evaluate any MPA proposal and grade them based on actual angler on-the-water experience. It is our goal to strike a reasonable balance between conservation and fishing access and we can only do this if we know what areas are most important to us. All of this information will be kept completely confidential and will never be published or released to the public. It will be incredibly important for the membership to participate in this first step.

11: What is the plan from Coastside as a club to affect the process and how does it benefit everyone?

Coastside, along with our partners United Anglers of Southern California (UASC) and the American Sportfishing Association (ASA) have been developing a comprehensive plan to implement the MLPA, starting in the North-Central region. The final touches of this plan are being made right now but I can give you a few examples of what we will be doing:

1. Hosting a series of “angler breakfasts” to introduce our membership to the MLPA. We had the first one a couple of weeks ago and in my opinion it was a HUGE success.
2. Developing a map of fishing/diving “no-touch areas” based on a comprehensive mapping survey of our coast.
3. Hosting a series of angler workshops to begin development of MPA alternatives and ideas.
4. Conducting a survey of California voters to help articulate a message that supports conservation and angling/diving opportunities in California waters.
5. Public relations campaign
6. Seek appointments on the Regional Stakeholder Group (the group that ultimately develops MPA alternatives).
7. Seek appointment of Scientists to the MLPA Science Advisory Team
8. Numerous other items to be discussed at a later date….

12: Can someone explain this in layman’s terms so I can understand it?

Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) are areas where fishing can be restricted or eliminated. The State passed a law in 1999 requiring a network of MPAs in state waters. The law is now being implemented in the area between Pigeon Point (south of Half Moon Bay) and Alder Creek (just north of Point Arena).

13: Who has the final say in the decision to form the MLPA and which areas could be taken away or restricted?

The MLPA is a law and stands for the Marine Life Protection Act. It will create Marine Protected Areas (MPAs). The California Fish and Game Commission is the ultimate decision maker and will be the group that officially designates areas off limits or restricted to fishing.

fishhogg
03-29-2007, 05:09 PM
The end is near, i dont mean to sound negative, but i have been apart of this industry long enough to realize the government, local california enviornmentalists, and the dfg have already build a foundation to eliminate our recreation due to mismanagemant and inaccurate studies. Its like feeding a bear, once the bear has the food theres no taking it away! Groups like coastside an other supporting groups, always seem to have the proper objective presented but unfortunatly they are a little too late. Not enough "man power" to fight against agencies that are growing stronger and stronger each day! For years, longer than most of us realize guys like roger Thomas , Rick Powers and local fisherman, having been fighting for the rights of the recreational angler as well as the commercial angler, and were lucky to have what we have today because of them, but with the rapid growth of our opponents and the decline of our fishing industry and the lack of support through out the yrs past we are unfortunatly a little too late! I guess continue to support the rights of the recreational angler and maybe just maybe all these A** Holes will spare us the privledge to get our lines wet even if it means from SHORE ONLY........

FatCat
03-29-2007, 06:00 PM
After careful consideration, I have come up with the following alternatives for MPAs in Northern CA:

Option 1: Leave things as they are because pulling that S**T up here is NOT going to be the cakewalk it was in Central Cali. Up here we have A LOT of fishermen who are ready to fight and a relative lack of the super-rich, selfish, beach front property types like those in Carmel looking to restrict public access to PUBLIC water under the false guise of protecting the environment.

Option 2:

http://www.borelliconsulting.com/evals/guns/images/rem8701.jpg

Option 3:

http://www.thecountryshed.com/MAG4803_lg.jpg

Option 4:

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/151014/2/istockphoto_151014_battleship_guns.jpg

Any questions?!

aintscared
03-29-2007, 06:40 PM
I like your way of thinking FAT CAT ;)

donzitroller
03-29-2007, 06:48 PM
FatCat: I'll take option #2 please! The huggers are coming after the activities we hold near and dear. With luck and persistence, we'll not have the right to our fishing grounds taken away from us.. unless we're just taking pictures. No thanks. Just wanted the Sniffer community to know what's shakin in the political arena. Go look at the DFG link and you can see the maps of the affected areas. Not good.

>:(

The_Reel_Won
03-29-2007, 07:07 PM
It is F ing depressing. But I'm not just going to roll over and die for these Bass *turds. *[smiley=pirate.gif] That being said I wonder what are ALL the outdoor sports writers/publications, *ALL tackle manufactures from swivels and hooks to down riggers and electronics to Marinas to ALL fishing boat manufactures. What? What say I, what are they waiting for? They should be leading the charge. The huggers won't stop at salt water either. They should be right there at the breakfasts buying breakfast! Screaming donating using their advertising *dollars in rags and tv. *Hey it's coming and coming hard. I don't know about you, but if i can't fish I won't needing any of those above services again. Hello [smiley=foottap.gif].

triggerfish
03-29-2007, 07:41 PM
At least they are still letting us rockfish on 10 mile beach. >:(

ghostfish_slayer
03-29-2007, 08:09 PM
it is also said to effect 2 miles inland on our coastal rivers and creaks in those listed areas.

ghostfish_slayer
03-29-2007, 08:16 PM
i have been watching this since before it even came about and posting about it since i have been on this board.maybe 3, 4 years.i lose my os. and hard drive with xp on it 3+ times a year do to the things i post about it public..they just got it again the other day except i lost everything,made to look like a virus sent right through my internet service wire through protocall.right from their headquarters.

Toxic_Waste
03-30-2007, 09:57 PM
I saw a "letter to the editor" in a fishing magazine not too long ago by a person against all fishing. They said we should all be ashamed for "taking fish away from their families."

This is what we get when people watch movies like Finding Nemo and think it's real life.

fishhogg
03-31-2007, 11:54 AM
da** tree huggers, what is this world comming too! >:(

metalmouth
03-31-2007, 01:45 PM
Dam*ing this person or that will do no good. This post is up here for constructive information. If it goes beyond that the Admins will have it locked or censored. Try to keep the discussion on track. This is important to everyone who fishes the ocean, bays, and inlet areas.

Rusty_Hooks
03-31-2007, 04:06 PM
Last August they held a meeting in Monterey, middle of the week, 10 am
how many can make a meeting like this......

When I found out about it last year while they were still having meetings on how to and when, I called DFG......you wouldn't believe what they said..

The meeting announcement had been buried in one of their e-mails and I had to track it down to find the dates and times.....The young man I talked to at DFG said, "well, we didn't have to publish it, it was posted in the area and announced in the newspapers"

I think if I'de had Fat Cats option #2 I would have stuffed it right down the phone......guess who showed up at the meeting....well besides Blue Crush....PETA......private funding and private studies done....to close public coastline....OMG

The few have the money and the legal assistance to push this through.

Anybody know a fishing lawyer......

heres the post from the meeting

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1154971484

Intimidator
03-31-2007, 04:55 PM
Get out and fish it hard while you can.
We hit it hard down in SC because we knew it was going to be the last year.
The fishing was WFO with plenty of large adult fish.
One of the best strong rock cod fishries I have ever fished.....
And they still closed it down with all of there fuzzy dada.
Get out and get them this year boys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

donzitroller
03-31-2007, 06:42 PM
Reel Won: you got it right on the head my brother. Why are we the ones getting fumed about this? I think it's the entire angling community that has a stake in this. WHERE ARE THE REST? We are just the end users here. The entire fishing industry needs to be involved. Gami, Owner, Eagle Claw, Penn, Shimano, Daiwa, Shakespeare, Seeker, Calstar, Lami, Honda, Yami, Suzi, Volvo, Merc, Seaswirl, Farallon, Grady, Whaler, P-Line, Power Pro, Seaguar, Ande.. and a ton of others, the list is endless.. these are the ones who stand to lose a metric butt-ton of $$ when we don't have anywhere to fish anymore. Any suggestions on the best way to try and get these guys involved? I know they probably won't care but they should!