PDA

View Full Version : Camanche 2-11-12

AngelosPop
02-11-2012, 06:00 PM
Got the boat in the water a bit past 0700. Trolled from the North Ramp to the Narrows for zip. Passed a couple boats that had zip as well. I got into Laucha Plana area for a while and nothing. I told myself that once I pass the point on land about 50-75yds in front of the boat. I was going to haul everything in and head to Hat Island and towards the dam since I haven't been past Hat Island yet.

I started tidding things up for my mind blowing 12 knot run to Hat, and it's Fish On. Brought that one in and re-set with a different lure (had to get the first out of the net).

I am working on getting the treble hooks undone from the net, and I glance at my second pole....... Hmmmm Kinda bent more than normal? But no movement? I keep working on the hooks, and get them free. I look at the pole and it's slowly going down and up? I grab it and give it a yank...... Doesn't feel like a fish, start reeling and after about half way to the boat, I start getting a few head shakes, Ok fish number 2! I get to a opening, and do a 180 turn and re-set everything. While looking behind the boat I see a fish launch into the air, then look at my pole which is going crazy. This fish did not want to come to the boat, good fight, it was pissed. Fish number 3!!!!!!!
To top it off this fish was so pissed that it went nuts in the boat, and ended up hooking me. Never had a hook all the way in me to the elbow of the hook. I was a little bent and instead of shoving the hook completely through the skin and out, I grabbed it with the forceps and yanked it out backwards. Almost glad I didn't do it the correct way........ Wasn't that bad, other than the tearing of the skin. :stomper:

I get everything re-set, pass a boat that asks how I was doing, I said 3 and they said 0. About 100ft later Fish On. Fish number 4!

After this I made one more pass in the same area only to have my mojo screwed up by a bass boat that decided it would be nice to come from way out and around behind me and stop about 200ft in front of me directly in my path. So I moved to the other side of the bay for nothing, and decided to call it a day at 1300.

***** RnF ***** your purple bugger story made me make the decision to buy a Rapala with purple on it, and it was the leader of the day!

What worked:

4 fish all on F-7 Rapalas toplined
1/ Firetiger
1/ Hotsteel
2/ Purpledescent
about 1.3-1.5 speed
All fish caught from about 1000-1100
Scent: PC Krill Oil Gel

I tried a pink grub for a bit entering the narrows for nothing.

The fish about 14-16":

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i430/Devmardev/Fishing/IMGP1579.jpg

A deer swimming from across the narrows (sorry for the blur, zoomed in all the way, and couldn't hold still enough) I was almost at the other end of the narrows when I saw it:

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i430/Devmardev/Fishing/IMGP1575.jpg

RideNfish
02-11-2012, 06:23 PM
:areportmq5: I was ready to comment on your report even before I saw the reference to the purple. Sweet! Maybe I ran into something. I haven't thrown any purple lures of the metal type. Maybe I should pick up a couple. Then I can "purple" them on the surface and down deeper :).

Real glad you figured it out and came across a productive area. All the excitement of three fish in a short time makes the whole day better. Funny how that works.

Did you notice many banker guys on north shore? Curious how that is going since that is where I am relegated to. haha

Cheers and thanks for the report!

AngelosPop
02-11-2012, 06:37 PM
RnF, No it didn't seem like there were too many. It was misting/sprinkling some of the morning (probably kept a few away). I am glad I stayed on the east side of the lake as when I left and got towards the causeway, the roads were wet. Glad I didn't fish by the dam :) The lower launch parking area was almost full. When I left I saw one fellow at the cleaning station that looked to be a banker (no boat) with one or two fish.........

CRABBY
02-11-2012, 07:22 PM
Dang Chris you made the ol gut flip flop with your lovely hook extraction story,OUCH,otherwise great post,looks like your getting it all figured out.
Kudos for going out on a cool,misty,drippy day in a open boat,I would have the top up an the heater on,:rotfl2:,time for you to tackle Amador.HeHe............Don

AngelosPop
02-11-2012, 07:42 PM
I've heard how bad backwards hook removals are, but probably the excitement of dealing with the SOB fish dulled what should have been pain. :love-smiley-029: Even right now it just looks like a little 1/16" error :)

I have been looking at Arima's instead of finishing this Valco, but I like the simplicity of a tiny boat. A little mist/sprinkles doesn't bother me, my ol' woody boat doesn't like it to much though :(

schatgun
02-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Well done Chris....everytime you go out it gets easier & easier....keep it going. thnx 4 sharing....:beer_2:

Marv
02-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Way to go!!! Your gettin' it dialed in. All your work is starting to bear it's fruits. Fish rather :)

Purple power, lol. If you haven't noticed Rides bike matches his buggers :)

Wonder what that crazy deer was in the water? Mabye a
predator scared it into the water.

AngelosPop
02-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Wonder what that crazy deer was in the water? Mabye a
predator scared it into the water.

I am almost guessing people, bankers :shocked: Where it was, there were fishermen behind it on land. He got in the water at the south west opening to the narrows, and swam to the north west point of the narrows right under sasquatches hut. :)

GuyBrown
02-13-2012, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the report & details. Your patience paid off. Regards.