PDA

View Full Version : planer boards ?

RJF
02-12-2012, 09:21 PM
what is the best light tackle planner board for trolling. i am interested in trying them out but what is best size and all that kind of stuff (brand)

Steve079
02-12-2012, 11:03 PM
I have a couple small Sep's in line boards. Very small and light. Can't take real rough water, but are great for glassy smooth times when you need a stealth approach. A wooly bugger, crawler, or small spoon will get you some nice fish.

Church Tackle makes some nice boards, and they have some good YOUTUBE videos showing them in action.

I have a set of boards a fellow fisherman made, that are maybe twice the size of the Seps. They can pull bigger spoons or Rapalas, or up to 3 oz if you need to get down in depth a bit. They are very effective this time of year when you are targeting the top of the water column.

There are a few of us, running big side planer boards. These require a mast, so you can send your boards out 50-75 feet. you can run several lines off of one board, and just use release clips to take each line out on the board.

Check out Schatguns post, here's the ones I built. Schatgun used the same plans, and has both his boards and mast working well
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z100/skhardwoods/NewMelones/melones11311/stackedplaners.jpg

RJF
02-13-2012, 03:24 PM
thanks for info i will check out seps but anything homemade is way cooler

Twofish
02-14-2012, 11:10 AM
Hey Steve,
Is that a single planer in the picture or is it a pair, one sitting on top of the other?

Kyle Wise
02-14-2012, 01:48 PM
Twofish that is a pair.

Team Mc Fishing
02-14-2012, 02:01 PM
I'm going to be filming a video on how to use planer boards in the next couple of weeks. I will let you know when its done. We are contracting with a tackle maker to show a how to video on planer board uses. If all goes as planned the video we make will become the advertisement for the company we are contracting with. The plan is to use the video as everything from commercial use to being displayed at trade shows as well as in all of the major stores on monitors above the products. I will keep you posted on the progress.

Team Mc Fishing

Steve079
02-14-2012, 08:25 PM
Hey Steve,
Is that a single planer in the picture or is it a pair, one sitting on top of the other?

Twofish, do not listen to Kyle, that is a top secret photo of my double stack stealth planers:bananacheese:

Actually it was right before I took them down to Kyle. Since he owns the boat, he gets custody of the planer boards. We added the eyebolt to attach the boards to the mast after that too!