PDA

View Full Version : Trolling for trout

bassman408
02-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Thinking about going to Shadowcliff for my first time and attempt to troll for some trout while I'm at it. I'm pretty newbie when it comes to trout fishing, even more so on trolling. I can see that some people troll rapala jointed minnows or dodger + worm combo. What size and depth lures are most of you using when trolling for trout? Also, I don't have a depth/fish finder yet so I am guessing I will have to try various depths to find the fish? Other than that, I only have some kastmasters, trout spinners, powerbait, and powerworms which would only seem fit if I post up at a spot. Any beginner advice and tips are appreciated. Thanks!

mgcrumster
02-14-2012, 04:44 PM
Hello bassman408,

I'm a newbe also, been trolling for trout out of a small 14ft Alum. boat with my son for a little over a year now. I've have a great deal to learn, and learn something new every time we go. The members here are very helpful and have forgotten more than I know, but I'll explain a few things I've learned. The following is a small list of lures I find work for me using small flashers, sling blade, or dodger:

Wedding ring bait rigs, trailing a piece of Lg night crawler
Rapalas in firetiger pattern, 1.5"
Rapalas in chrome pattern 1.5"
Rapalas in Shad pattern 1.5"
Speedy shinners in shad pattern1.5"
Trout runners in various patterns
A leader with a lg night crawler, hook size #2

I add PC juice in garlic, and gel to lures, and worms, seems to help. I use lead core line and setback about 100, to 180 ft and troll at depths of 1, to 4 colors in the late winter to spring, and deeper as it warms. I troll at speeds of 1.0, to 2.8 mph, and turn the boat in a S pattern which causes the lures on the inside to drop, and outside lures to rise in the water, covering a larger area. The fish seem to hangout in the shallow areas within 25, to 75ft off shore in the cool mornings to feed, and deeper when it warms.

I would invest in a good quality fishfinder, and learn to use it asap, a new world will open, and your fish count should improve. You should also invest in down riggers to get to the lg fish, and when they go deeper to stay in water temps around 53, to 55 degrees. There is lot's to learn here on the forum, and your local bait shops, but nothing works better than getting out on the water, and trying new methods. Hope some of this helps, it seems to work at times for me...

Good luck! mgcrumster:Gone_fishing:

Fishbucket
02-15-2012, 08:29 AM
Nice post mgcrumbster !

Right now most all the trout are on the top, so toplining ( just letting out 100 feet or so of line) will do the trick with just about any lure. Keep it simple with what you are going to use. since you're new you'll get overwhelmed easly and be second guessing yourself all day.

Stick with a small dodger and a mini crawler on a short 12" leader.
A small Rapala jointed or not.
Kastmasters/ spoons naked.

No need to get all fancy with a FF yet... it will just confuse you even more, As most find out you rarely catch the fish you "see".

Stop in at MelCottons in SJ and tell the guys what you are planning to do and ask them to show you and explain the set up. Seeing in person will take alot of mystery out of it..

Man has been fishing 100's of years... it's not rocket science.

bassman408
02-15-2012, 10:11 AM
Awesome info guys, thats exactly what I was looking for, some info for a newbie. I need to pick up a few supplies anyways so I'll be hitting up Mel Cotton for sure. So if I'm toplining, about what depths should I be trying to cover? Surface to about how deep? Just trying to get an idea of how fast I should be trolling on my kayak.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Team Mc Fishing
02-15-2012, 10:22 AM
You want to troll fast enough to see action on your rod tip. I made a video about trolling if you want to see it I can give you the link, just pm me.

Team Mc Fishing

Get Bent MARK
02-15-2012, 10:23 AM
Don't forget the grubs. 2 & 3 inch white,orange, chart., sherbet, bright colors, etc.. Must have the dark colors also such as motor oil, pumpkinseed, frog green, dark green & black. Some Pro Cure trophy trout sause trolled naked, (no dodger/flashers). #4 worm hook and be sure to use a bead chain swivel then about 6 ft. of leader to your hook. If you have no riggers, a couple of split shot or even a sliding sinker above the swivel will work.

Have fun & good luck,

Mark

Fishbucket
02-15-2012, 10:48 AM
an idea of how fast I should be trolling on my kayak.

Paddle or mirage drive?

Not that it matters. ...
set your lure out in the water where you can see it. paddle fast or slow so you can see it have the best action. A dodger goes from side to side, not spin. a rapala goes alittle faster to give it a good swimming action. your rod tip should have a nice shake ... Try each one at the side of the yak, then count your strokes or peddles.. let line out, then get back on your count.

Easy peasy.

bassman408
02-16-2012, 10:59 AM
awesome...this is a lot of good info guys....just trying to absorb it all...haha. Thanks a lot fellas.

Captain Compassion
02-16-2012, 04:19 PM
A plain old 1/4 oz gold Kastmaster has come to the rescue on many an occasion trolling for trout. On the surface around 100 feet or so behind the boat. Troll at 1.5 to 2.0 mph or fast enough to make the rod tip twitch a little. Dont be afraid to pick up the rod from time to time and raise and lower the tip. It excites those lookie lous that follow behind the lure.

CC