PDA

View Full Version : reel question

jvillain904
03-23-2007, 01:08 AM
I have been looking for a fishing reel upgrade from a Penn 330 GTI. I am happy with the performance of the 330 GTI but I would like to upgrade to a nicer reel. My reel progression has gone from boat rentals to ebay 209's and 500's to the 330 GTI. I am looking at Avet reels (MXL 4.5/SX 5.0/JX 4.6) to use for rock/lingcod and maybe a trip In So-Cal. I recently purchased an 8' Dan Hernadez rod and would like to pair it with a reel. Is this overkill in regards to reel selection? Are there any Avet owners out there that could point me in the right direction. Any advice on the pro's and cons would be appreciated. The missus sez' that this is the last reel I will be buying for a while.

Hankster
03-23-2007, 04:18 AM
I own several Avets in various sizes and really like them.
I use either a MXL or a JX for salmon trolling and have not had any problems with them. Smooth,great drag.The main issue you would have for rock fishing is line. If you plan on using the MXL you should consider braid. It's rated for 300 yds (give or take) of 20# mono. I have used the MXL for rockies at Fort Bragg without a problem, but my preference is the JX.
The Avets are a little pricey but far less than the Accurate. Another issue is the lack of a level wind. For this reason you should consider the MXL or JX, as the spool width is narrower than the LX and it is easier to thumb the line.

jvillain904
03-24-2007, 01:02 AM
thank you Hankster for the tip and i do believe that a narrower reel is the way to go being that I am a novice caster.

jvillain904
03-25-2007, 01:14 AM
ok so what about the daiwa saltist versus the avets in terms of function, cost and user friendliness. This is to be used primarily for rock/ling cod fishing.

Smitty

Hankster
03-26-2007, 05:11 PM
There is nothing wrong with a Saltist. The cost savings is around $30. I just really like my Avets. A good solid reel with excellent customer service for any problems you may encounter. It's a good company that strives to make a good product and they're constantly improving their reels. If you send them an old reel, they will update it for you at a very reasonable price.
There are many reels out there that will work for Rockies and Lingasaurs. I just like the idea that I will be able to use my Avets for a variety of fish. It's a great casting reel for Albies, for example. Not only that, they're made in the U.S.A. by Americans. Not China or Malaysia.

gmdcdvm
03-27-2007, 06:04 PM
I have used both avets and saltists on long range trips for tuna and local trips for bottom fish. They are both great reels, and I think it just depends on you bank account and personanl preferences. i don't hink you really need a high end reel for local salmon and bottom fishing. But, if you plan on tuna fishing or doing trips down south then smooth drags and easy drag changes come in very handy. I like my saltist 40 high torque (or more appropriately the lower gear ratio compared to the high speed wich has the higher gear ratio). I have fished 40lb line on it, and caught some large yellowtail and large albacore without any problems.

Gerry