PDA

View Full Version : Turlock Lake 02-16-12

JwG
02-16-2012, 04:06 PM
I wanted to get away for a half a day for some lazy trout fishing. One of my favorite local lakes is on the chopping block for State Park closures come July 1st.

It is Turlock State Recreation Area, known as Turlock Lake SRA.
So I wanted to make sure that this was one of the areas that I fish NOW.
I normally fish the County area of the lake at the CWI on the east side but I made a point to fish the State area on the north west corner. It is where the dam is and the formal boat launch, picnic area and swim beach.
I arrived early and set up between the boat launch and dam, had bait lines in at 06:55. The winds had slowed to about 2 mph and it was a nice 32 degrees. There were fish jumping and it looked to be a productive day.

http://www.fishsniffer.com/members/jwg-albums-turlock-lake-02-16-12-picture9158-imag0047.jpg

http://www.fishsniffer.com/members/jwg-albums-turlock-lake-02-16-12-picture9160-imag0049.jpg

I pulled one bait line in and started to work a Kastmaster in silver.
About an hour passed and Art showed up with his GF. He said they had been to the CWI since 06:00 and that it was running fast and hard.
They both worked it with bait and lures with no action. Art said he saw only two other fisherman there and that they had no fish either when they left. As he asked me how I was doing my one bait pole with power eggs, the strike indicator started to move. But that was it and the fish did not come back.
Art and his GF set up next to me and they both threw out nightcrawlers.
At about 09:00 the DFG truck showed up from the fish market and backed down the boat ramp. Art asked me if I thought this would make the bite light up. I said maybe, that it can be a crap shoot as to the attitude of the fish coming in.
He set up with a silver Kastmaster and soon, boom fish on, a nice little trout. I told him I would move to the other side of the ramp, 500 yards past, and we would see who got the best action. I set up and soon got a strong hit, but no take. Art changed to a gold Kastmaster about 10:00 and got hit for another fish this time a little bigger.
Soon after his GF got a good hit on her nightcrawler, but no take. I continued to move east toward the swim beach, but could not get any more action. I packed it in at 12:00 with the old skunk around my neck. At the time I left, Art had the only two fish for the day. I came back over and got this pic of him with his trout.

http://www.fishsniffer.com/members/jwg-albums-turlock-lake-02-16-12-picture9161-imag0053.jpg

Nice job Art!!
He said they were going to stay the day and continue to work it.
All in all a great day at the lake. The weather was gorgeous for this time of year.

RideNfish
02-16-2012, 04:49 PM
Good report and nice pics. Sorry it didn't work out for you. Since you saw surface activity did you try the new secret things I gave you?

Cheers,

JwG
02-16-2012, 04:52 PM
Good report and nice pics. Since you saw surface activity did you try the new secret things I gave you?

Cheers,

Shhhh!
LOL.

memebop
02-16-2012, 05:06 PM
500 yds may as well be a mile . . . if you wanted the planters, wouldn't 100yds be better?
Bro

I pulled one bait line in and started to work a Kastmaster in silver.
About an hour passed and Art showed up with his GF. He said they had been to the CWI since 06:00 and that it was running fast and hard.
They both worked it with bait and lures with no action. Art said he saw only two other fisherman there and that they had no fish either when they left. As he asked me how I was doing my one bait pole with power eggs, the strike indicator started to move. But that was it and the fish did not come back.
Art and his GF set up next to me and they both threw out nightcrawlers.
At about 09:00 the DFG truck showed up from the fish market and backed down the boat ramp. Art asked me if I thought this would make the bite light up. I said maybe, that it can be a crap shoot as to the attitude of the fish coming in.
He set up with a silver Kastmaster and soon, boom fish on, a nice little trout. I told him I would move to the other side of the ramp, 500 yards past, and we would see who got the best action. I set up and soon got a strong hit, but no take. Art changed to a gold Kastmaster about 10:00 and got hit for another fish this time a little bigger.
Soon after his GF got a good hit on her nightcrawler, but no take. I continued to move east toward the swim beach, but could not get any more action. I packed it in at 12:00 with the old skunk around my neck. At the time I left, Art had the only two fish for the day. I came back over and got this pic of him with his trout.

Nice job Art!!
He said they were going to stay the day and continue to work it.
All in all a great day at the lake. The weather was gorgeous for this time of year.

[/QUOTE]

CRABBY
02-16-2012, 05:17 PM
Nice post James,to bad about the fish being so fussy,but at least I got to see some of Turlock Lake,never been there.You didn't want those mushy ol planters anyway,LOL......Don

JwG
02-16-2012, 05:18 PM
*if you wanted the planters, wouldn't 100yds be better?*

Thanks memebop, you are right.

Yeah, if I really wanted the planters I would have walked out on the dock.
LOL.

I was hoping Art and GF would get 'em, not me.
That's why I moved away and keep moving farther away.

Marv
02-16-2012, 06:46 PM
Great shots of the lake. Not bad for a little bit of galavanting, lol.... Sure beats house chores :(

Slappin' Waters
02-16-2012, 07:49 PM
Hey James It's Art I signed up and wanted to let you know we stayed until 2:30 or so we kept on with the kastmaster and ended my day bagging 6 total.

schatgun
02-16-2012, 07:58 PM
JWG & RideNfish.....Congrats on the promotions....JWG, a skunk :skunk29gc: , how could you let it happen? At least you have enough integrity to own up to it.....:cool2:.....We've all been there....better days await & remember its the crappy days that make appreciate the good days.....Carry on.

JwG
02-17-2012, 02:29 AM
Hey James It's Art I signed up and wanted to let you know we stayed until 2:30 or so we kept on with the kastmaster and ended my day bagging 6 total.

Hey Slappin' Waters,
Welcome to the Fish Sniffer!!

Cool user name.:bananatiedie:

You will find this site full of information. Many members will help you with more and are willing to share their knowledge.
Learn to cruise this site and become familiar with the Private Message system as this is a way to communicate off the open boards.
I am glad you guys stayed and got some more fish, six for the two of you is a good day!:fishing5xd:

Also thanks for making the post as this is how this site works, by members making reports.

It was nice to meet both of you and fun to watch you fish.http://www.fishsniffer.com/images/icons/icon6.png

See you out there!!

OneTrueBob
02-17-2012, 12:16 PM
Great pics (as usual) and great report James. And I see you've referred another to the boards?!?!? Awesome!

Welcome Slappin' Waters!

Glad to see someone in the group landed a few!

Tight Lines!