PDA

View Full Version : Pardee...Friday Opener from the Bank

mariahpup
02-17-2012, 03:38 PM
Hi the long awaited Pardee opener this morning (Friday)...in line at 4:40am or so...got to the point I wanted to fish off...just below and to the left of Porcukpine parking area...to my dissapointment the bite was not to be had this day...worst opener I have ever had there...I was not alone...all around me and those that I could see through binoculars were suffering the same fate...tried lures, powerbait of all types...wollies..and other odds and ends...result small DFG planter on a gold kastmaster...results were the same for all the folks around me..planting truck came which usually yields a few fish for the foks in tight in the Marinia...alas that did not help either...it was a beautiful day ...just a fish here and there for bankers that I saw....fish were very small
Talked to EBMUD Ranger and he thinks low water and warm weather is making fish go deep and out into the main lake asap...this should bode well for boaters except fot size...
Hope the guys in boats did better and I hope the bite turns on this afternoon and or tomorrow...
Better luck to all...and I will get them next time...after all that is why they call it "fishing" not "catching"
Mariahpup

RideNfish
02-17-2012, 04:21 PM
Sorry it wasn't better for ya. I guess I'm glad I went to Carmel with my wife instead :) Hope it improves there at Pardee but I won't waste my money until I get some good reports from our fellow forum folk.

Cheers,

CRABBY
02-17-2012, 04:29 PM
Well for those that believe in pressure fronts today should be a bad one,new minor storm movin in,the lake is real low,the fish are all mixed up.Better luck Sat.at Camanche...ya never know....Don

Megadeath
02-17-2012, 08:14 PM
I do not think it had anything to do with weather. If they used
the money from the fishing fees and some of the water they sell
to the bay toward stocking the fish like they did the last several
openings everyone would be catching fish. How r they only going
to dfg fish during the time they r closed. I bet a good percentage
of the fish get eaton buy the conrads. I do not mind paying extra
fishing license fee and ca taxes for the fish they get from dfg after
all we fish for them and get charged extra through them not to stock I
it up with more fish like they did. After I caught a big fat skunko, I went
to camanche,got my first hook up in 5min, cought 5 trout 2 to 3
Lbs, 17 to 19 in and red meat for planters, not bad. Thats what happens
when u plant. It's sucks for even more when up bring ur kids to catch
nice good size fish and show them that it's fun to catch fish and not
let them get bord. When the gates opened, the lines were soo longand
not moving that people were turning around and leaving. Last time I go
go and fish there.

Koke Machine83
02-17-2012, 08:26 PM
They are still planting fish in there for everyone to catch. I think with the low water conditions, most of the fish probably headed out for deeper water. After seeing photos of the marina, the water is pretty low. This weather is not helping either. No Rain and pretty warm conditions right now. So i think even the fish are confused. So hang in there and things will get better. This is one of the biggest reasons i don't fish the Opener at Pardee.

Camanche, this year has been a pretty good bank bite. Looks like most of the fish are being caught from the Bank. Both North Shore and South Shore. Us trollers have been having a tough bite for a while now. I just enjoy the time on the water with my friends and family. Fishing is Fun.

Megadeath: I hope to see a report from either Pardee or Camanche Soon... Just remember, if the pole is bouncing, Yell FISH ON!!!!

Robbie

Jfitalia
02-17-2012, 08:29 PM
I do not think it had anything to do with weather. If they used
the money from the fishing fees and some of the water they sell
to the bay toward stocking the fish like they did the last several
openings everyone would be catching fish. How r they only going
to dfg fish during the time they r closed. I bet a good percentage
of the fish get eaton buy the conrads. I do not mind paying extra
fishing license fee and ca taxes for the fish they get from dfg after
all we fish for them and get charged extra through them not to stock I
it up with more fish like they did. After I caught a big fat skunko, I went
to camanche,got my first hook up in 5min, cought 5 trout 2 to 3
Lbs, 17 to 19 in and red meat for planters, not bad. Thats what happens
when u plant. It's sucks for even more when up bring ur kids to catch
nice good size fish and show them that it's fun to catch fish and not
let them get bord. When the gates opened, the lines were soo longand
not moving that people were turning around and leaving. Last time I go
go and fish there.

they've planted plenty of non dfg fish including today when they dumped in 3000lbs. the problem it's you can't expect any fish to hang out in the rec cove or that whole area with 100 people and low WARM water. the fish are all moving towards the main lake and that's why the boaters did well today on big fish up the river arm. there are plenty of fish there and if the weather cools they'll stay in the rec area for the shore guys

CRESTLINER 08
02-17-2012, 08:58 PM
with so little rain i would expect the water level too be very low at pardee .i first went to pardee 3years ago and the water level was very high.every thing i pulled out was over 4lbs.i just happen to fish the right spot ,ive never seen so many people fishing side by side and casting over each other.i just kept on walking till i found an open area.that was my first time i had ever seen ''combat fishing'' well good luck on your next outing.....

smokie
02-18-2012, 09:26 AM
What waste of money, $60 in gas to drive there and back plus forked over $18 & change at Pardee for nada. I was one of those in a boat. 4.5 hrs and not even a bite. Yes some boaters did ok but most of those I talked to did not. I think anyone that charges for fishing access should refund your money if you get skunked. After all, you did not take home any of their fish. They can keep the parking and lauch fee but the fishing fee should be returned.

RideNfish
02-18-2012, 09:32 AM
I think anyone that charges for fishing access should refund your money if you get skunked. After all, you did not take home any of their fish.

What a great concept. :) These lakes wouldn't last long on that approach. Hey, maybe if I get skunked all year I can get me fishing license money back. :0)

Sorry about the lousy fishing but I hope you didn't let it ruin your day. It isn't always about the fish. You were out on the water and that's what counts.

Cheers,

dilbeck
02-18-2012, 09:33 AM
I think anyone that charges for fishing access should refund your money if you get skunked. After all, you did not take home any of their fish. They can keep the parking and lauch fee but the fishing fee should be returned.

With all due respect, that is ridiculous. Would you pay extra if you caught a limit?

Fishing is just like gambling, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Jfitalia
02-18-2012, 01:15 PM
Its called fishing not catching so you cant expect to go out and catch fish everytime you go out. What do you do with all your lures and that you buy when they dont catch fish? Do you take everything back and ask for a return? Just because a lake stocks fish it doesnt not mean that all the money goes towards the fish. That money goes towards everything and everyone including the booth operator that took you $18 and some change when you entered the lake. This is the beauty of fishing and its something everyone has to deal with. However to demand your money back is just insane! This all business 101 and if anyone went off of the notion that they must return everyone's money then the business wouldnt last long.:hitoverhead:

PapaGreg
02-18-2012, 01:59 PM
Just curious, with the fishing so-so at pardee, did anyone try the new Pautzke bait that Cal wrote-up in the Sniffer?

Sounds like it could be a real test, being that the catch ratio is way down. I'd try it tommorrow if I had some and see if it out-fishes the Berkeley pb.

Jfitalia
02-18-2012, 02:13 PM
Just curious, with the fishing so-so at pardee, did anyone try the new Pautzke bait that Cal wrote-up in the Sniffer?

Sounds like it could be a real test, being that the catch ratio is way down. I'd try it tommorrow if I had some and see if it out-fishes the Berkeley pb.

it isn't that the fish aren't hitting it's more of a shallow water issue. fish aren't holding in the rec.cove area so shore guys are left looking for cooler water. I would take the hike past the spillway and all the way down past the main point looking for deep water. even the boaters are dropping down to 40ft at times

mariahpup
02-18-2012, 03:53 PM
I agree 100% with Jfitalia's suggestion to hike the far shore in search of deeper water...to steal and alter a phrase from the "Bard"...the fault is not in the bait, but in the water"... in this case..lack of...
The water problem is not going to go away (the lake is mega low for this time of year) ...unless it gets very wet and snowy...very fast...as such this may mean that the banner year that was Pardee (the fishing after the opener for about 6 weeks was beyond fantastic for all) last year is not going to happen this year...at least for "bankers"... it is unlikely that the Pardee concession folks are going to put near the numbers of nice size fish in just to see them head for the deep water of the main lake...
All this is just an opinion...offered by someone who loves both the outdoors and fishing...I hope the fishing improves for all...boaters and bankers...and as suggested.."it is still fishing" and should bring enjoyment even if the "catching" is off a bit...Luck to All Mariahpup

CRABBY
02-18-2012, 04:21 PM
Why is it that when a lake has a ton of fish in it, an some people can't catch em,why do they always blame everything under the sun except themselves.
When some do well,an others don't,maybe the ones who did well figured it out an you didn't,or it just wasn't your lucky day an the fault lies No where.....:nevezuha1bz:

HMONG_James_Vang
02-18-2012, 04:36 PM
just thought i share... me and the wife drove by pardee and snapped a few pictures after we finished up at amador.

GNappers
02-18-2012, 09:18 PM
I drove by yesterday to see if it was worthwhile. Low water level and the banks packed helped me make the decision to go to Amador. 2 years ago I arrived for the opener at 12 and had one side of the first cove to myself. Caught 15 nice 18 inch fish and saw one guy catch/release about 40. Did not rain all afternoon. Last year I arrived at 7 and there was more water and more fisherman. I had to walk over the spillway and fish the deep channel and had to work hard for 3 fish, 1 being nice and 2 really small. I think I will give Pardee a month or 2 till the water level hopefully rises and they get some better plant's. When I was cleaning my fish at Amador a couple of guys said they fished all morning for 1 small fish and didn't see any other fish caught. They were so dissapointed they went to Amador and did well with jigs. Last year I think fisherman were struggling at Amador and Pardee was fishing better. Water temp at Amador was ice cold. The pictures that James posted is the lowest I have seen Pardee for an opener. They can keep there DFG fish, I can catch them in Marin or Santa Rosa. Later in the year if they follow last years pattern some bigger fish will be put in.

Captain Compassion
02-19-2012, 11:22 AM
Sorry about the fishing Bill. One fish was one more than I got for two fishing days at Camanche. This week should be better. See you soon.

CC