PDA

View Full Version : New to salt water

Sacfisher
03-23-2007, 03:33 PM
I am going to Doran's Beach camping for 5 days and was wondering where a good place is to just catch something... Anything. I am mostly gonna do some catch and release with my children and monkeyface eels are just not cutting it. (btw, can you use those for bait or eat them ugly little suckers?) Also wanted to know where to go for some horse neck clams. I understand if you don't want ot give away your secret spots!

Thanks
Jeremy

FF_MYRL
03-23-2007, 05:15 PM
First do you have a boat or are you fishing from land?

As far as clams. If you have a good minus tide (during daylight) you can dig clams (horse necks and washingtons) right off the campground. on the inside of the jetty. For detials on how if needed just ask.

As far as the eels. I do not know.

red_dog
03-23-2007, 07:21 PM
Personally I have never fished for or caught the infamous monkey faced eel AKA Prickelback eel. *From what I have reed in the past they can be a delicacy if cooked by the right person. *

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2004/05/12/FDG6G6H4CO1.DTL

dark_knight
03-23-2007, 07:24 PM
i hae heard those eels tastle like cats, fry them up in cornmeal and enjoy. I hae also witnessed people catching halibut, leopard sharks lingcod, and rockfish mainly blues off of the jetty. Bat rays are also a possiblity. If you like crab you can throw out a pot and try for red or rock crab and will usually get a few. Im sure you could get dungeonous but it would be becaus eof luck more than anything. Be wary od seals they will still anything they can get i had a crab trap on the bottom and watched a seal attack it trying to get to my chicken then go down the and steal bait from a person using a pot and take all of his bait ( the guy tried to feed him to go away big mistake). doran is were I go when im home and love it.

red_dog
03-23-2007, 07:27 PM
Qoute from Darknight

"i hae heard those eels tastle like cats"

I hope this is figure of speech :)

tarbuckle
03-23-2007, 09:34 PM
I think he's talking about catfish. But I could be wrong :o

MB_Kevin
03-23-2007, 09:55 PM
That is funny. I don't know what a cat tastes like but the eels are good if you can get past how they look when you clean them ;D

donzitroller
03-24-2007, 09:31 AM
I think he's talking about catfish. But I could be wrong :o
MEOW

:P

Sacfisher
03-24-2007, 03:44 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. I will be fishing mostly from the shore. I will have access to a boat, but is not large and will be mostly used to go crabbing with. Monkey faced eels are fun for the young ones to catch, mainly cuz it does not involve a lot of wainting and you can see them when they bite. I find the scooby doo type poles work best anyway. Unfortunately there will not be a minus tide while I am there so I will have to make do with a 0.76 low tide saturday night. All other suggestions are welcome. Again, thanks

Jeremy

fishhogg
03-24-2007, 04:24 PM
eels taste just like rock fish, like said-if you can get past the uglyness... Horse necks inside of the bay but minus tides are needed, leopard sharks come in to feed off doran beach at night time, and fish the tide, - 2hrs before to 2 after high tide along doran beach for perch-great for the kids... Start off the middle public parking and work opposite end of the jetties till u find em... small strips of squid or shrimp work fine... Dont let anybody mis steer u, doran holds great fishing when fished right... Plus caught a couple legal strippers last week, a nice bonus!

Fishbutt21
03-24-2007, 11:33 PM
*Dont let anybody mis steer u, doran holds great fishing when fished right... *Plus caught a couple legal strippers last week, a nice bonus!

Doran does have some great fishing but I want to know where fishoggs Hot spot is ;)

Sacfisher
03-25-2007, 10:02 AM
Fishhog, do you fish under a bobber or just cast out with light weight sinker? Sorry again... This is all new to me. What is a good bait to use for leopard shark? Do I need a steel leader? I want to have a good fishing experience and also want the kids to have one too. That is why all of the questions. I really appreciate the forum/msg board experience and all of the knowledge that one is willing to give just because another person asks. If we do good or just OK, I will come back and post some pics and let you know how we did.

Many thanks
Jeremy

dark_knight
03-25-2007, 03:19 PM
I meant it literally ;). yes i mean catfish, those are the fish that you can catch with a bowl of milk right. best of luck sacfisher kill it at doran for all of us.

Sacfisher
03-25-2007, 07:45 PM
When there is a low tide the kids and I go and get mud shrimp for bait. Will the perch hit these as well?

Fishbutt21
03-25-2007, 08:01 PM
For perch at Doran beach I have had excellent luck with the small pink ghost shrimp that you can dig at low tide but I am sure the mud shrimp work as well. the mud shrimp are just bigger than I like to use unless I am after Sturgeon

MB_Kevin
03-25-2007, 09:32 PM
Fishhog, do you fish under a bobber or just cast out with light weight sinker? Sorry again... This is all new to me. What is a good bait to use for leopard shark? Do I need a steel leader? I want to have a good fishing experience and also want the kids to have one too. That is why all of the questions. I really appreciate the forum/msg board experience and all of the knowledge that one is willing to give just because another person asks. If we do good or just OK, I will come back and post some pics and let you know how we did.

Many thanks
Jeremy

Post up even if it is bad ;)

I hope it is not but We still like to hear the story 8-)