PDA

View Full Version : Tidal Drift fishing

evcmadfisherman
03-14-2007, 06:12 PM
If I were to drift on the tide, near Angel Island this weekend what could I expect to catch?
Any halibut showing up in the bay?

sunracer1957
03-15-2007, 08:34 AM
Theres been a few Halibut taken this year not in any numbers though!! and the tide this weekend is a whoppper so the Hali fishing may be on the slow side ;)

If you get out post up the results, it may be better to try around Oyster point ::)

evcmadfisherman
03-15-2007, 04:17 PM
I will post up after my trip. So far my fishing trips have not been very productive. :(
What kind of bait do you use for halibut?
Up in alaska I was killing the halibut with a jig, and I was going to try some type of jig for halibut here.

65whaler
03-15-2007, 04:27 PM
i've had a bit of success with jigs shorecasting halibut, but if you're going to be boating, i might recommend investing in a bag or tray of anchovies. good luck.
;)

evcmadfisherman
03-15-2007, 04:33 PM
Ah! Yes! the all mighty chovies.
The last couple of times fishing with anchovies I've had no luck.
But I will pick up a bag just in case.

keciga1
03-15-2007, 04:46 PM
You can troll for them with frozen anchovies. I recently wathced a fishing show from Alaska and they were catching them with sushi jigs. You can also try and catch some Jacksmelt at any marina/harbor and drift them near the bottom.

Ivan

oroville
03-16-2007, 09:46 PM
madfisherman you catch anything today

evcmadfisherman
03-17-2007, 07:40 PM
got four rays and a rock crab. [smiley=angling.gif] [smiley=angling.gif]
THE tide was really flowin strong so we anchored off of ritcherson bay
good times ;D

evcmadfisherman
03-17-2007, 08:44 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/163/424827754_e4ed5c55bc.jpg?v=0http://farm1.static.flickr.com/146/424827739_67767e27a1.jpg?v=0

metalmouth
03-18-2007, 04:58 AM
You can troll for them with frozen anchovies. I recently wathced a fishing show from Alaska and they were catching them with sushi jigs. You can also try and catch some Jacksmelt at any marina/harbor and drift them near the bottom.

Ivan
Ivan, did you go check out the prices of those Spro Sushi Jigs, after watching the same show you did I decided maybe I'd pick up a couple in blue and green. The are over $20.00 a pop!

Don

keciga1
03-18-2007, 08:13 PM
Don, they look almost the same as the Shimano butterfly jigs and I got about 5 or 6 of them. I know what you mean about the price the ones I got were the same price.

Ivan

metalmouth
03-19-2007, 07:40 AM
Thanks Ivan, I'll give the Shimano's a look. How do you like those free hooks compared to a bottom hook set up?

ZACK
03-19-2007, 07:49 AM

Ivan

Yeah,
what he said. Fish tides that have 4 feet or less of a change either in or out. Get out your trout pole and catch some smelt on a bobber set up around 6 feet from the bait with some power bait, shrimp, worms, or whatever and keep the smelt that are around 7 inches or less. Catching smelt that small is the hard part. Then hook one through the nose on a 2/0 octopus hook on a 3 foot 30 lb shock leader attached to a 3 way swivel with a weight on a 8 inches of mono for your *dropper. Start your drifts in around 40 feet of water and let it tick the bottom toward the shore.

If you use dead bait you will be in Shark and Ray heaven. Catch us a BUTT already!!!! ZACK! ;D

evcmadfisherman
03-19-2007, 08:59 AM
I saw some little fish jumping around us. Were they jack smelt?
The live bait Idea sounds like the way to do it. Next time I go out there I will try that idea.

tsang151
03-20-2007, 02:58 AM
i definitely second jack smelt and the bigger the better. i use them whole on a two hook rig and it is killer for big butts...

Doctor_Dan
03-21-2007, 05:55 PM
Zack, could you be a little more specific on how to catch Jack Smelt? Thanks, Dan

Fishbutt21
03-22-2007, 08:10 AM
I have had my best luck catching jack smelt with a sabiki rig with about size 8-10 hooks and crush up an anchovie or two for chum and the smelt will swarm the boat.with the sabiki you can get two or more every drop and it works great for mackeral and sardines too

ZACK
03-22-2007, 08:29 AM
Zack, could you be a little more specific on how to catch Jack Smelt? *Thanks, Dan

Structure, like most other fish is where they hang. Pier pilings, etc.

A place where you will find them by the hundreds is as close as you can get to the live bait receivers (without bothering the bait man of course). I used to buy my bait from "The Bait Guys" in Sausalito with my son and tie up and let him catch a bunch with a kiddie pole before heading out just to give him a thrill and to have a few larger baits to use later in areas I know to appreciate them. Sabiki rigs are fine but a pain in the A$$ to use for large baits like smelt and the are fragile and tangle like crazy. You can tie a few snelled hooks above a 1/2 oz of lead and go up 4, or more feet and attach a simple plastic bobber and bait it with almost any fish, shrimp, even power bait chunk and watch the smelt bum rush your baits. They don't spook easy. In fact the more you catch the more interested they get from all of the activity.

I have never used the really big ones. They would probably be excellent big fish baits especially for stripers with their bucket mouths but I like to use something that all fish can throw down their pie holes. I try to keep em around 7 to 8 inches or smaller if you lucky enough to catch little ones.

Man, I got to quit talking about this I am getting too excited and I can't wait for the season to begin! ;D

ZACK!