PDA

View Full Version : Beat the Drum Time is Almost here

esquired
03-20-2007, 04:08 AM
Each spring we here on the East Coast take advantage of a great Black Drum fish migration when the big boys and bigger girls move into the coral beds on the Delaware Bay to do what young fish in love do every spring. We mostly fish at night using whole surf clams on fish finder rigs. Last year was spectacular, many drum over 60lbs were taken with a handful over 100lbs. These are great fun to fish for because you can here the fish drumming as part of there mating routine - sounds like a giant boom under the boat that transmits through the water. When the drumming stops they start feeding.

I have several trips planning beginning next month and continuing into June.

Here I am on an early April, 2006 trip:
http://www.myfishpix.com/gallery/data/500/drum3.JPG
http://www.myfishpix.com/gallery/data/500/drum21.JPG

Fishbutt21
03-20-2007, 08:02 AM
Those are some nice fish ;D they look like the croakers we have in San Francisco bay but we call them Kingfish out here and ours are much smaller

ZACK
03-20-2007, 08:21 AM
I would say to me the look like a King Carp. A new designer fish half kingfish and half Carp. ;D

Seriosly, I love to fish at night.
No sun screen or people to bother you and your trip sounds like a FANTASTIC one. Good luck and let us know how you make out. ZACK!

esquired
03-20-2007, 08:55 AM
Black Drum are a close relative of the croaker and of course the Red Drum (or Redfish)

We also have kingfish (Northern Kingfish)

I assume that you are talking about California corbina or kingcroaker - they are related to both the croaker (Atlantic Croaker) we catch here and the Black Drum in my photo.

keciga1
03-20-2007, 05:24 PM
Nice pictures there. The croaker we are talking about is white croaker and you are right they are a member of the drum family. Although our drum is much much smaller then the one you guys have.

Ivan

gmdcdvm
03-20-2007, 07:11 PM
Yeah, I think yours would be more like a kettle drum and ours would be more like a bongo drum, or better yet a tamborine.

Sounds like a lot of fun. Do you eat those guys? And if so how do they taste? Wish i could play the drums like you guys back east.

Gerry

metalmouth
03-20-2007, 07:20 PM
Great pics! Thanks for sharing those Drums! They are huge.