PDA

View Full Version : How about some directions

bretmoua
03-16-2007, 09:32 AM
This will be my first time at the Alameda Rock Wall. Can someone give me directions from I-880 N going towards Oakland. I will be going to it from Fresno. I know how to get to the rockwall by Oakland International Airport only. How far are the two places apart from each other?

lomenop
03-16-2007, 10:25 AM
Please do not link to other fishing sites.

Thanks MM

From 880 south (south of Oakland):

Take 880 north and exit Oakland/Alameda Broadway exit. Make the first right at the bottom of the ramp and you will pass one intersection and make another right at the stop light which will direct you to the Alameda tube. Go through the tube and you will be on Webster st. Go straight on Webster all the way down til you hit Central Ave. Make a right on Central and coincidently, 1/2 a block down on the right side, you will see the Central bait shop if you need bait. If you don't need bait go all the way down til you'll see a full size model of a naval fighter jet parked on the front of Encinal high school. Go slowly and look left til you pass the last parking lot of the high school on the left and you will make an immediate left turn which leads behind the high school. In the daytime you wil see a small sign with icons of boat ramp and fishing right before the turn on the left hand side. After making that left, you will have a chain-linked fence on both sides of you. Go all the way down til you reach the end and you will see the water and rockwall ahead of you.

From 880 north (north of Oakland):

Get to 980 which will eventually turn into 880 south. Exit the Alameda/Oakland exit and turn right at the bottom of the offramp. Follow the side street about a 1/4 of a mile down and do NOT get back on the freeway. Stay on the side streets. Get on your left hand lane when the road turns into a one-way road. Go straight down about 1-2 miles (you should see the freeway above to the left of you running parallel to where you're going) and it will eventually take you to a stop light where you'll see a large sign directing you to the Alameda tube. Follow the tube and apply the same directions when you get to the Alameda side listed above.

Things to bring:

1) Jacket (it can get windy and cold there)
2) Flashlight to help guide you on the rocks (in case you're there at night 'cause there's no lamps out on the rockwall)
3) Cell phone (in case of emergency or in the event they close the entrance gate)
4) Lantern or matches (if you fish at night)

Things to remember:

1) Lock your car doors/set alarm (there have been break-ins at night)
2) If you want, you can have a small fire to keep warm on the rocks past the fence.
3) I believe you don't need your fishing license as the rockwall is considered a pier.
4) Bigger and more fish are found along the wall further out. It takes about 45 minutes to rock hop to the end.

Good luck to all.

bretmoua
03-16-2007, 12:50 PM
Great directions. Thanks Lomenop. Can anyone confirm whether or not we need a fishing license at the rockwall? Not that I don't already have a fishing license but my buddy was thinking of joining me out there and he hasn't bought his yet. I'm trying to save him $37 which we could use for gas LOL. If there is no license require, does that mean we can fish with as many pole as we like just like a pier?

Sin_Coast
03-16-2007, 02:02 PM
I don't think you need a license. But the max rods allowed on piers is actually two. (There is no max if fishing in the ocean from the shore...but a max of two from a pier.) Also, I think the max is two rods inside the bay, regardless of what you're fishing from. I could be wrong though.
http://dfg.ca.gov

Good luck!

bluestar
03-16-2007, 02:17 PM
Uh... there is no pier at the rockwall.

Or are you considering the rockwall a pier?

bretmoua
03-17-2007, 06:23 AM
Ok, it's 7:30 in the morning and now I'm off to see the wizards in santa cruz and the rockwall LOL. Will report when I get back.

bretmoua
03-18-2007, 06:31 AM
Well, I was out at Scotts Creek at noon and noticed that the waves were just too big and had a big wave break. So I figured, since I'm already here, I might as well give it a shot. Got to the beach and threw my line out, went no further than where the the beach broke off before the waves came. No way of catching fish without getting wet. Just couldn't throw it far enough due to the big wave break and the 10+ mph wind. So after 10 minutes of making a fool of myself I gave up >:( and took the family out to the boardwalk. Spend 3 hours there and had a blast. After that, I took off to the rockwall and got there at 6pm but after talking to a couple local fisher person, everyone said they haven't seen anyone catch anything there for the past week. So I didn't bother trying. Around 7pm, I headed off to the other rockwall by oakland airport. Throwing my line out with a combo of grass and ghost shrimp, I didn't get a bite nor a nibble for an hour and a half :( so I gave up and came home. Fishing was horrible, but that's how fishing is. Some days are great and others are not. But overall, had a blast touring the beaches and view on CA-1 and most importantly, the wife and kids had a great time. ;)

fishwalla
03-18-2007, 07:30 AM
I used to live in Oakland and the rockwall in Alameda can be extremely productive.I think it was a bit later in the year but we would drift/jig hair raisers at the end of the rock wall and could have filled the boat with 5-10 ponders.That was 20 years ago though.I had hair back then too

csaechao
03-18-2007, 03:24 PM
no need for a fishing license at the rockwall, dfg considers it a pier so you can use two rods.