PDA

View Full Version : North Of Santa Cruz 3/12/07

titelinez
03-12-2007, 09:18 PM
I went north of SC today in search of new waters to fish. I found a nice little beach up the coast and also found some great fishing. I got there around 4:30 and fished till it was almost dark.

First fish of the day:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/plastichead13/DSCF1213.jpg

Another:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/plastichead13/DSCF1215.jpg

Another:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/plastichead13/DSCF1222.jpg

Shanman showed up for a while:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/plastichead13/DSCF1217.jpg

More Shanman:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/plastichead13/DSCF1218.jpg

Shanman with a decent fish:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/plastichead13/DSCF1223.jpg

Getting dark:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/plastichead13/DSCF1233.jpg

Sunset1:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/plastichead13/DSCF1230.jpg

Sunset2:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/plastichead13/DSCF1235.jpg

This was by far my best day of surf perch fishing as far as numbers goes. 25+ fish caught and released for about 3 hours of fishing. My biggest fish went 10-11". This was also the first time catching anything but a BSP. Very cool first day of getting away from Manresa. I plan to do a lot more of this.

Double_D
03-12-2007, 09:22 PM
nice report and pics....thanks for sharing ;)

bretmoua
03-12-2007, 09:25 PM
Where is this point exactly? What lures/bait were you using? I'm thinking about heading up to the bay area this weekend to do some fishing. Not really sure where to go yet. Might just consider fishing your area, if you don't mind sharing.

keciga1
03-12-2007, 09:28 PM
Nice report. Really enjoyed the pictures.

Ivan

BASNFAN
03-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Hay, Good Report,
Looking at the photos, I was thinking at least some did not look like BSP's. Then you said first time catching somthing other than all BSP's. What were the others if you know.
I am going to be at Bodega Bay 15th to the 21st and hope to get out to Salmon Creek Beach at least twice while there.
BASNFAN

titelinez
03-13-2007, 10:14 AM
bretmoua you have a PM!!!

BASNFAN,

I'm pretty sure the first one (all silver w/small black dots) is a silver perch. The one with the brown spots is a walleye? and the one with the darker fins is supposed to be a red tail. Not sure if this is completely accurate. I'll have to do some research and see if I can come up with some info to support this.

titelinez
03-13-2007, 10:46 AM
I think the ones with the brown spots are called calicos.

Rock_Hopper
03-13-2007, 11:43 AM
1st and 2nd pics are walleyes, the other two are calicos.

Great pics and a great day of perchin'!

titelinez
03-13-2007, 12:14 PM

Thank you for clearing that up Rock_Hopper. I was obviously very confused. Are silvers and walleye just a different name for the same fish or are they actually two different fish?

65whaler
03-13-2007, 12:39 PM
what a great post. nice job titelinez.

titelinez
03-13-2007, 12:56 PM
Thanks 65whaler.

Looks like I'm gonna have to start sizing my pics down a bit more though. All the forums I post on run well with pics at 600 pixels across. All the sniffer admins must still be running 14" monitors or something...jk guys. I'll start bringing them down to 500 so they fit better. Oh...the sacrifices we make to show off our fishing fun :)

Rock_Hopper
03-13-2007, 02:07 PM

Thank you for clearing that up Rock_Hopper. I was obviously very confused. Are silvers and walleye just a different name for the same fish or are they actually two different fish?

Silvers and walleyes (and shinerperch) are all different species, but look very similar. The easiest way to tell the difference is the very large eye of the walleye, and the faint yellow striping of the shiner. So if you get a good size silver colored perch with no yellow stripes and no huge eye it is more than likely a silver perch. Both of the perch in your picture have the large eye making me believe they are walleyes.

Calicos, Redtails, and BSP are all very similar also and I still have trouble differentiating the three sometimes. However - your pictures clearly show the large "shoulders" or hump on the back of the perch. This, along with the reddish spots (as opposed to solid bars) tell me they are calicos. It's not always so obvious, though. If not for the prominent hump on the fish in the third picture I would've guessed it to be a redtail.

Confusing enough? ;)

titelinez
03-13-2007, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the clarification Rock_Hopper. Much appreciated. Somebody with A LOT of perchin knowledge told me they were walleye also and I definitely believe him. Thanks for the good knowledge and the help. Much appreciated.

Rock_Hopper
03-13-2007, 02:50 PM
Thanks.

I tried to find an old post of mine where I had pictures and descriptions of different perch, but I don't know how to use the search feature here very well! :-[

blue_chrush
03-13-2007, 08:35 PM
Where is this point exactly?

the area is scotts creek, and theres a bridge at hwy one marked
scotts creek, that just north about 2mi of davenport...
nice to see you got north off santa cruz.....
now that spot right out front of the bridge has a reef to the left
and a great drop off there, saw a 17ft great white there once
cruising the edge and chased us out of the water surfing...
biggest shark I have ever seen.... to the north side of where
he is fishing about 400yds up the beach is a waterfall, and that
area has some deep holes near shore and hold good fish too...
the area that he fished there has the biggest shore break and
to the north is better I think. if you drive up the hill from the bridge
you can park and walk out on the cliff and see the reefs and
spot the good spots....then go back park and walk out.
another spot untapped that is a winner is 4mile beach...
its exsactlly 4 miles north of town, has parking lot on the left side
with alot of surfer in the lot. park there and walk out to the pt.
theres an area you can walk out on a pt and cast and fish from.
that area has rockies, lings, halibut. and once your on the cliff just
passed where the guys surf, you can set up there and work the deep
water. and the beach south of the surf zone is great too, and little or
no surf and casting is easy and perch are good too.....
thats the 411 on a couple of the spots on coast.....
awsome pics and a great post......way to go [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

metalmouth
03-13-2007, 08:42 PM
titelinez, great post and pics! I'll be thinking of those shots when I shovel more snow tomorrow. :'(

Sin_Coast
03-14-2007, 08:48 AM
Wow,
Thanks for the report and pics.

But I am really surprised that nobody has jumped in and said something about "spot burning" or whatever its called. It just seems weird to see somebody else give away a poster's spot. Maybe he didn't give location on purpose, and if so, shouldn't we respect that? But then again, maybe you guys are best buds and he said it was OK to give GPS coordinates to his spot.

Regardless, thanks for the great pics and report, titelinez. Very inspiring!

Rock_Hopper
03-14-2007, 10:16 AM
Thanks.

I tried to find an old post of mine where I had pictures and descriptions of different perch, but I don't know how to use the search feature here very well! *:-[

Jeez...after digging through hundreds of posts I finally found the one I was referring to. This thread has pictures of all of the most common caught perch in this area.

Enjoy!

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1125595829/0

Rock_Hopper
03-14-2007, 10:20 AM
BTW - If you check out that thread you can hit the "reply" button and scroll down to see the entire pictures, instead of the chopped pictures you see in the original thread. 8-)

titelinez
03-14-2007, 01:12 PM
Wow,

But I am really surprised that nobody has jumped in and said something about "spot burning" or whatever its called. It just seems weird to see somebody else give away a poster's spot. Maybe he didn't give location on purpose, and if so, shouldn't we respect that? But then again, maybe you guys are best buds and he said it was OK to give GPS coordinates to his spot.

Well...I'm kinda new here so I didn't want to rock the boat but I did leave the exact location out on purpose. I just figured that's how it goes on this forum. However don't expect the same out of me. I won't be calling out anybodies spots on this forum and I appreciate people being discrete on the web while discussing my spots. I usually inform people who want to know through a PM. So in the future if you want to know my spot just throw me a PM. I'm not stingy but I don't like screaming it out to the whole world.

It's all good. No harm done. It's not the only beach north of SC to fish. I will be a little more careful with the pics I choose to share here though.

Titelinez!!

titelinez
03-14-2007, 01:15 PM
Oh and BTW thanks very much to Rock_Hopper for posting a link to that thread. That is extremely useful.

Titelinez!!!

Rock_Hopper
03-14-2007, 01:19 PM
No problem. And wise decision about being more discreet about your spots. For every registered member that looks at this post I'm sure there are ten times as many "lurkers" who view it looking for hand-outs. :'(

blue_chrush
03-14-2007, 11:12 PM
as for SPOT BURNING....
that spot is the pacific ocean.....
and on any given day you can drive by there and theres no one fishing it, why cause its not the best spot on the coast nor is it the worst.
that spot could hold all the fish sniffers on here and more and still not
be crowded and bet not" 2 "of you will ever fish it....lol
I surf up there all all time, and theres no one ever there..
I know spot burning when it comes to a section of river or a lake
spot.... but this is the pacific ocean...be real its alot bigger than your
inland waters and if I drive up there sat morning to surf and see
2 people on the beach, I will gladly appoligize for giving it up...
SPOT BURNING if for those of you who think you have secret spots
and thats a oxie moron now days....

justme
03-15-2007, 05:45 AM
I fish the cliffs just north of santacruz just before the light house. We catch perch, rock cod, cabazone, sea trout, sea bass and a few things I did not recognize. If you go there though be prepared to lose some equipment because the kelp is pretty thick. You need to go there during low tide and scope out where the holes in the kelp are then wait for high tide and fish.

Farrier_Frank
03-15-2007, 05:58 AM
as for SPOT BURNING....
that spot is the pacific ocean....

[smiley=rotfl2.gif]

titelinez
03-15-2007, 07:04 AM
Well I certainly don't feel burned. It's not that big of a deal. It is certainly not comparable to giving somebody directions to your favorite hole in a river or stump in a lake. That's why I didn't bring it up. Like I said. It's all good. I just won't let my pics speak as loud in the future. :)

Double_D
03-15-2007, 07:12 AM
Wow,

Well...I'm kinda new here so I didn't want to rock the boat but I did leave the exact location out on purpose. I just figured that's how it goes on this forum. However don't expect the same out of me. I won't be calling out anybodies spots on this forum and I appreciate people being discrete on the web while discussing my spots. I usually inform people who want to know through a PM. So in the future if you want to know my spot just throw me a PM. I'm not stingy but I don't like screaming it out to the whole world.

It's all good. No harm done. It's not the only beach north of SC to fish. I will be a little more careful with the pics I choose to share here though.

Titelinez!!

No policy on the fish sniffer about Spot Burning, it's up to the person making the post.....if you want to give it up, it up to you, me personally I've seen what happens when a real productive stop gets Jacked Up.....case in point, The Slag Heap yeah I know I just burned a spot, but we can't fish there anymore from shore after fishingUSA Nuked it the very next day after they posted it, it got over run with Harvesters and Poachers, they left trash all over the shore line, what was a special place became a Zoo the most we would see fishing it in the passed was maybe 10 to 15 guys, then after a few Nuke jobs from FUSA you could no even find a parking spot, after that the company(land owners) closed down acsses.........with all do respect to the boat guys, sometimes they forget the beach maybe 5 miles long, but the hole being formed is only 25 yards wide, get 50 to 100 surf casters chucking metal or wood that the same time and you got a furball, plus your hook up ratio goes way down......just some food for thought from a fat guy. ;)

blue_chrush
03-16-2007, 08:02 PM
I know when or where a post needs to be respected about
a so called hot spot on fishing, point taken from DD
I also know when a fishing spot or bait ball is holding fish and
I'm not going to mention it excatlly for fear it may get ruined.....

read this then you can ban me.......
if any of you read reports and know anything about fishing or
how to use a computer, you would know from the last perch contest
in santa cruz all the big perch came from the beach's to the
south and the winning stringer came from some pillings south....
so for the few of you think this spot was secert honey hole..lol
then poster asked wheres that,?? and all I did was to give them info on it as the guy fishing it may not had even know where he was fishing or the name of it..so screw me
I have given up so many spots on here in the past yrs and I can't remember one yet I reget or showed up and said crap that was stupid thing to do look what I have done now....this sucks
I do agree about the trashing issue, and some ass kicking is needed...
ever heard this one...
20% of the fishermen get 80% of the fish, its true cause some are more deticated than others and did there research and take time to really fish instead of use fishing as an excusse to go drinking. [smiley=rotfl2.gif]
know why most fishermen say good luck, thats causes they need it.
this is a fishing site for giving and taking info on where to get fish...
what good is it if its a secert.??????
so if I shouldn't post info on here, so be it....
I can play game with the #s and details and just forget them.
limits of salmon in 1hour out of santa cruz...good luck
I know I'm only targeting a few out there that miss use this site
but I still say if they don't have the tallet or the skills for fishing then there just wasteing gas, bait, and beer and if there not,
then they are poaching fish and should be dealt with...

I'm not mad, just tired of some who think fishing is there little secert and want to been seen as great fishermen but are not willing to tell anything to anyone else or even post there bogus reports. then theres the ones will never post anything more than one liners on here like...
""good job guys, where were did you get them""
fishing posts are like how people go fish.....
sometime I see the lazy misinformed post like ""lots of fish there""
sorry no pics, thats cause theres no fish to take pics of....
then you see the humble fishing guys with lots of pics and
info and stories to beat... it makes you want to go out and fish
so you can post up a stories like theres and show your skills....

there are 4 types of people on here.....
1. there are a select few and they know who they are on here
who give a ton of info and take time to post pics and storys and
are what makes this fishing site a geat one....
2. there are a few that want to learn and talk fishing and and love
to fish when they can and are our future of the sport....
3. then some we just have to deal with and be nice to cause
we don't want to say anything that might upset them
no matter what they say or post...
4. then there are the others that come here and never post
a thing and simply use it to get the 411 on whats hot cause they can...

in the end.....
I only wish I had more free time to fish with more of you guys
on here and share the good times... but, I only have this thing we
call forums to feel close and bond with the guys who love fishing.
so with that said...............
I will grab my cyber cold one and wish you all well this season.. [smiley=cheers.gif]

Double_D
03-16-2007, 08:22 PM
I know when or where a post needs to be respected about
a so called hot spot on fishing, point taken from DD
I also *know when a fishing spot or bait ball is holding fish and
I'm not going to mention it excatlly for fear it may get ruined.....

read this then you can ban me.......
if any of you read reports and know anything about fishing or
how to use a computer, you would know from the last perch contest
in santa cruz all the big perch came from the beach's to the
south and the winning stringer came from some pillings south....
so for the few of you think this spot was secert honey hole..lol
then poster asked wheres that,?? *and all I did was to give them info on it as the guy fishing it may not had even know where he was fishing or the name of it..so screw me *
I have given up so many spots on here in the past yrs and I can't remember one yet I reget or showed up and said crap that was stupid thing to do look what I have done now....this sucks
I do agree about the trashing issue, and some ass kicking is needed...
ever heard this one...
20% of the fishermen get 80% of the fish, its true cause some are more deticated than others and did there research and take time to really fish instead of use fishing as an excusse to go drinking. [smiley=rotfl2.gif]
know why most fishermen say good luck, thats causes they need it.
this is a fishing site for giving and taking info on where to get fish...
what good is it if its a secert.??????
so if I shouldn't post info on here, so be it....
I can play game with *the #s and details and just forget them.
limits of salmon in 1hour out of santa cruz...good luck
I know I'm only targeting a few out there that miss use this site
but I still say if they don't have the tallet or the skills for fishing then *there just wasteing gas, bait, and beer and if there not,
then they are poaching fish and should be dealt with...

I'm not mad, just tired of some who think fishing is there little secert and want to been seen as great fishermen but are not willing to tell anything to anyone else or even post there bogus reports. then theres the *ones will never post anything more than one liners on here like...
""good job guys, where were did you get them""
fishing posts are *like how people go fish.....
sometime I see the lazy misinformed post like ""lots of fish there""
sorry no pics, thats cause theres no fish to take pics of....
then you see the humble fishing guys with lots of pics and
info and stories to beat... it makes you want to go out and fish
so you can post up a stories like theres and show your skills....

there are *4 types of people on here.....
1. there are a select few and they know who they are on here
who give a ton of info and take time to post pics and storys and
are what makes this fishing site a geat one....
2. there are a few that want to learn and talk fishing and and love
to fish when they can and are our future of the sport....
3. then some we just have to deal with and be nice to cause
we don't want to say anything that might upset them
no matter what they say or post...
4. then there are the others that come here and never post
a thing and simply use it to get the 411 on whats hot *cause they can...

in the end.....
I only wish I had more free time to fish with more of you guys *
on here and share the good times... but, *I only have this thing we
call forums to feel close and bond with the guys who love fishing.
so with that said...............
I will grab my cyber cold one and wish you all well this season.. [smiley=cheers.gif]

Who in there right mined would Ban The Man. ;)