PDA

View Full Version : McNears Report Tues. 3/13/7 Skunk is gone!!

gmdcdvm
03-13-2007, 08:29 PM
Went out again to McNear's Pier to try for some sturgeon, or anything else that wanted to take the hook. Got there about 11am and stayed till 4:30pm. Saw Mel there again, one of the regulars, and a really nice guy.
About 12pm I noticed a few nibbles, and then the bell starts ringing. In all the excitemtn to set the hook I forgot to remove the bell first. Well, lost the bell which I had just purchased that morning, but did reel in a nice 20.5" striper. Of course I forgot the camera since that seems to give you better fishing karma.

Saw a number of bull head sculpin get pulled up on cut anchovies on a hi lo set up. I used a sturgeon rig the whole time and ghost shrimp for bait. Had one more nibble at the end of the day that took the bait. I suspect it was a sculpin because I had switched to a hi/lo set up at that point. Called it a day at 4:30pm. Weather was awesome with just a slight breeze early, bright and sunny, and a little windier by the end of the day.

Came home and cooked up the fish. Its my fiance's favorite and she really appreciated. Next time I'll risk taking the camera...
Thanks again Mel for the help.
Gerry

metalmouth
03-13-2007, 08:34 PM
Gerry,
I hate that when the bell goes flying over your head! ;D Nothing like a nice hookset to set it free. Thanks for the report. 8-)

MM/Don

keciga1
03-14-2007, 10:52 PM
Good job Gerry. Now you gotta go back for that sturgeon :o. Do you think you'll make it to the halibut fest?

Ivan

spinfisher
03-15-2007, 09:07 PM
Good news! Always nice to send the black'n'white kitty back ashore where he belongs! :D

I have noticed a serious negative effect of having a camera aboard, when it comes to catching fish. It depends on the fish, but I know it explains why, after 13 yr fishing in the Gulf of Mexico, I have, maybe, 2 pictures of grouper. (and little ones at that). We used to never bring a camera aboard. That was almost as bad as planning to have fish for dinner! ;D

And, whats a bell against a nice striper! [smiley=chowtime.gif]