PDA

View Full Version : 7 Gill info needed!!! Anyone have any real success

ZACK
03-11-2007, 10:33 AM
What I mean is I am on a "Quest For The One"! ;D
No offense but I don't want to hear about any “fluke” experiences of catching one in an area you have fished a million times before and on this special day, blah, blah, blah, or you fish for Leopard sharks and while sitting in the 7 gill nursery you caught 7 gills that were 4 feet or less.

No, I want to hear from anyone who has "1st hand" experience with pursuing and catching 6 plus feet fish.

The “Where” and the “How” is what I am looking for. I would also like to know if there is a bait, or a way to rig up so I don't catch ANY Leopards, Sand sharks, or Rays?

Anyone know of anybody who is "for real" and has consistently caught the fish I seek?

I will have my digital video and still camera on board and with some luck will have a documentary short that I will upload on youtube and share here if I am successful. I have already got a chum source and off of stern I will be thawing out *around 30 gallons of fish parts, guts, and blood during this trip to bring in “The One”, or maybe even Whitey!!! :o

Appreciate the help and hope to have something to make all of our hair stand on end! ZACK!!!

aintscared
03-11-2007, 12:24 PM
Hey Zack, just thought I would share some of what I have heard from a friend that has had some experience fishing for sharks in the bay. He told me that he fishes for Skates and cuts them into big chunks and uses like a 10/0 hook.. fresh bloody bait is the best and bigger is better, more likely you wont have smaller sharks eating it... ;) *Using this tecnique for Sevens is productive and they have also caught some big Whites, one estamated around 14 ft. The head of it stuck out on one side of the boat and the tail on the other, this was off of the back of a boat with a 12 ft wide stern... He said they fished from and around Angel Island to just past the Gate.. good luck and let the hunt begin... * aintscared
Ps... Rays could be a good altenitive to Skates if one is caught... U should bring a meat cleaver and cut your bait into 1/4 chicken size chunks...dont know if any of this bait is legal but this is what he told me..

ZACK
03-11-2007, 01:55 PM
Hey Zack, just thought I would share some of what I have heard from a friend that has had some experience fishing for sharks in the bay. He told me that he fishes for Skates and cuts them into big chunks and uses like a 10/0 hook.. fresh bloody bait is the best and bigger is better, more likely you wont have smaller sharks eating it... ;) *Using this tecnique they have caught some big Whites, one estamated around 14 ft. The head of it stuck out on one side of the boat and the tail on the other, this was off of the back of a boat with a 12 ft wide stern... He said they fished from and around Angel Island to just past the Gate.. good luck and let the hunt begin... * aintscared
Ps... Rays could be a good altenitive to Skates if one is caught... U should bring a meat cleaver and cut your bait into 1/4 chicken size chunks...dont know if any of this bait is legal but this is what he told me..

Big Whites! :o
If I see a Great white I will only take pic's but I don't expect to. Besides fishing or harrassing them in any way is illegal. I assume you mean 7 gills. The input is noted thanks. ZACK!

aintscared
03-11-2007, 04:25 PM
When shark fishing Sevens you may have an accidental White catch, he also said they've caught smaller ones also.. So be prepared to do battle if you hook into one !!! ;)

hookncook
03-11-2007, 05:07 PM
roast beef off the big crain off hunters point. go as deep as posible.you won't get anything but 7 gills with that. also use macks around there and around angle island for big soup fins. releaseing the big gills is important.

greggywhat
03-11-2007, 09:28 PM
dont go using light line 7 gills will rap them selfs in the line they roll i always used 6 foot leader and they still got on my mono

keciga1
03-11-2007, 09:49 PM
I just ordered 500 yards of 100lb PowerPro braid that I will be putting on my Shimano Tyrnos. Looks like I need to extend my leader by a couple of feet.

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/8922/tackle004lx1.jpg

greggywhat
03-12-2007, 12:30 AM
use a big leader and use a hook that will rust out soo you can just cut your leader i would use atleast 4ft raccoon straits and angel island is a good spot to look deep just be ready if you chum out past the golden gate my uncle said he seen a monster out there just 2 weeks ago while he was chuming he said 13footer that wasnt looking nice and 7 gills peck you gotta give them some time i seen some guy that said he was using salmon belly and roe and caught couple 5 footers i dont know if its legal but he was catching them i say big live bait or fresh dead or squid if you know there in the area throw squid you will get one

evcmadfisherman
03-12-2007, 12:30 AM
Are you aloud to chum the area that you are fishing?

Rock_Hopper
03-12-2007, 10:21 AM
Try a small smoothound or a small batray for bait. That is what the bigguns eat naturally.

greggywhat
03-12-2007, 11:47 AM
what he said last time i was down there at fort baker with my striper pole catching little sharks i was reeling in this little like 20 inch smooth and i was playing around i let some line out for my little cousin to reel it in and handed him the pole and then he pulled i thought it was snagged then i told him to yank and it took off never had a chance to stop it then some old guy said it happens alot there when reeling in smelt and little sharks big ones eat them

ZACK
03-12-2007, 12:59 PM
what he said last time i was down there at fort baker with my striper pole catching little sharks i was reeling in this little like 20 inch smooth and i was playing around i let some line out for my little cousin to reel it in and *handed him the pole and then he pulled i thought it was snagged then i told him to yank and *it took off never had a chance to *stop it then some old guy *said it happens alot there when reeling in smelt and little sharks *big ones eat them

You sure have seen and experienced a lot of exceptionally unusual experiences.....
Are you sure you aren't feeding us a lot of tall tails???

Just messing with ya, ZACK! ;D

greggywhat
03-12-2007, 01:17 PM
and im the only one with pictures of big seven gills come on i might get lucky but i have the proof do you :)

greggywhat
03-12-2007, 01:20 PM
what do you think seven gills are doing around piers eating whats around them narrow it down you will catch the sharks same with angle island if seven gills are there they are feeding on whats around whats going through there thank about it

ZACK
03-15-2007, 10:56 AM
and im the only one with pictures of big seven gills come on *i might get lucky *but i have the proof * do you :)

Is this greggywhat, or have you turned into someone else? ;D
What's with the new handle??? :o

ZACK! ::)

greggywhat
03-15-2007, 11:30 AM
yes changed it was bored

fish_4_alivin
03-15-2007, 08:31 PM
I have fished on a charter for sevens and we only fished yellow bluff just inside the gate and we used smoothhounds and squid on the same hook drenched in anchovie oils and we got some nice fish
http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/6500/scan0123largeni6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
This one went 100 lbs