PDA

View Full Version : New Rod

SOUTH_BAY_FISHER
03-15-2007, 09:32 AM
So I'm in the market for a new rod and reel for what I'll call big water fish basicaly I want a new set up that I can fish salmon, halibut, and stipers. I hope I'm not looking for too mush in a rod. I'm newly married with a kid on the way so I don't have a huge budget for this but probibly spend like $150-$200 for a rod and reel. My problem is i don't realy know what I need. I did mostly fresh water fishing growing up and a few guided salmon, butt and rock trips so I'm just getting into the salt and delta with verry little excperiance but I want something that will last a while and is a good pice of equipment. Every time i go to the store they are trying to sell me a rod that's $150 a g lomous (i can't spell) i belive, it looks and sound great but i don't belive I need to spend that much money altough I'm sure it's a great rod. I've heard a lot about Ugly sticks and the Cabelas rods on here I have a nice cabelas ultra light spining rod that is great quality so maybe that's something for me to look into. Just wondering what length, sensitivity (med/hvy), and line weight I should be looking for. From what I've read I belive I need a fiberglass rod, because i might be trolling, hauling lead for salmon, and have the possibility of hooking up with a sturegon. Please help me I'm totaly lost.

Hiking-Jay
03-15-2007, 09:52 AM
I think if you are looking for something that will last and will handle large fish and that is inexpensive, then you have described an Ugly Stik. Sure, the Cabelas Whuppin' Stick is cheaper, but in my opinion, you'll be more satisfied with an Ugly Stick in the long run.

So the other question is, casting or spinning? Even if you aren't a casting guy, it's easy to learn and I think with the range of fish you are talking about, you'll have better luck and more versatility with a casting reel. My recommendation is an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 6500c3. Spool it with 17 lb Big Game (or 20 if you really think you'll target sturgeon regularly) and you should cover your bases quite well.

Of course this isn't the ideal setup for every species you mentioned. It's a little light for sturgeon, and perhaps a little heavy for striper, but it isn't out of the question for either of those species.

If you want a spinning reel, I'm not sure of a good suggestion that would fit your price range and have the line capacity you need for some big fish, like sturgeon. Maybe look at the Shimano baitrunner BR4500, but that reel is $115 by itself, leaving you a maximum of $85 for a rod. With that said, you should be able to get the Ugly Stick for $60-$70 max.

Here's the exact setup I would use. But, I am assuming you are mainly shore fishing, and using bait. If you want to throw in-line spinners for salmon, please disregard ;)

Casting:
Ugly Stik Tiger BWC2200, 7', 12-30lb test, ML, 1/2 - 4oz
Abu Ambassadeur 6500c3

Spinning:
Ugly Stick Big Water BWS1100 8', 12-25 lb test, Med, 1/2 - 3oz
Shimano Baitrunner 4500 (I like braid on this reel)

sunracer1957
03-15-2007, 10:11 AM
Hiking Jay post two great set ups!! the Uglystik series of rods are fair priced and can take a real beating. I would also look at a Shimano TR200 as far as a real goes. Great drag, good line capacity and a fair price, altough there nothing wrong with the Abu.

In a nut shell you'll want something in a 10-30lb rated rod and a reel that will hold 200 yards plus of at least 20lb test for the species you made mention...Rd

dandeuce
03-15-2007, 10:49 AM
What they said , you can't beat an Ugly Stick for twice the price ! While I own a couple 6500's and that is a great reel I would go with the Shimano or a Penn with a Graphite frame . The less metal on a reel for saltwater fishing the better , less possibilities for corrosion . The Shimano TR200 is bigger than a Abu 6500 , making it more versatile in such cases as salmon trolling as you mentioned or for sturgeon/rays .

Toxic_Waste
03-15-2007, 05:13 PM
I am in love with my new Shimano reel.

krzyfshrmn
03-15-2007, 06:28 PM
A Lamiglas "Classic Glass" 9' 15-30 paired up with a Diawa Sealine 27LC is a great set-up for all three species. Should run about $180. Nice set up, I happen to have one ;)

ghostfish_slayer
03-15-2007, 06:49 PM
you will only be happy when you have way more then you think you need.then still you may not have what you think you need so you will want more..

krzyfshrmn
03-15-2007, 07:01 PM
you will only be happy when you have way more then you think you need.then still you may not have what you think you need so you will want more..

Could'nt have been said better ;D

realdeal
03-15-2007, 07:20 PM
Ugly stick, most definitely