PDA

View Full Version : I had striped bass sashimi last night

bluestar
03-10-2007, 08:42 AM
Went to a Japanese restaurant (Sushi House in Alameda) last night and saw striped bass sashimi on the menu, so I decided to give it a try, thinking restaurants should know what they're doing.

The fish meat is a little translucent, just like the striped bass I catch from the bay. Surprisingly, it has more flavor than the lack of color would suggest. I felt it tasted a bit like salmon.

Anyone else has tried striped bass sashimi before? Is this how it tastes like to you?

mike22ca
03-10-2007, 11:30 PM
Yea, Ive had it tons of times. "Suzuki". Excellent taste. Your right, from the looks of it, it would seem bland but has a really good taste to it.

NRJohn
03-11-2007, 02:16 PM
"Suzuki" is a seabass not striper. Looked it up in two different dictionarys.

Do you happen to know where they get the stripers from for sushi? It may not be local. As an example yellowtail often times comes from Japan where they have a higher fat content than local caught fish.

surf_fisher
03-11-2007, 06:45 PM
striper sashimi is similar to suzuki (sea bass). its very good when its fresh and caught out in the ocean... I never try the ones caught in the river.... also hamachi coming from japan are all pen raised....

bluestar
03-12-2007, 09:14 AM
If supermarket labeling is correct, sea bass has dark skin and white meat, right? *That's not the suzuki I had. *

On the restaurant menu suzuki is identified as striped bass, and the fish meat is kind of like clear plastic -- no color, somewhat translucent (I wish I had my camera with me). *It looked exactly like the flesh of the striped bass I catch in the bay.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/rhbj03/striper.jpg

NRJohn
03-12-2007, 10:32 AM
I think one of the problems is "bass" or "seabass" is such a generic classification. Many aren't even true bass e.g. white seabass which is in fact a member of the croaker family. Blue bass etc. etc.

You may very well have eaten striper. I don't know. Never tried it myself. Maybe the sushi place you ate is owned by Koreans and they got the translation wrong? :) I know where I live at least half are not owned by Japanese.

mike22ca
03-12-2007, 08:13 PM
[quote author=NRJohn link=1173544935/0#5 date=1173724369]I think one of the problems is "bass" or "seabass" is such a generic classification. *Many aren't even true bass e.g. white seabass which is in fact a member of the croaker family. *Blue bass etc. etc.

Exactly. "Suzuki" is just a generic term. What I had was striper and it was good.

surf_fisher
03-13-2007, 07:19 PM
http://www.japan-fishing.com/shasin/suzuki2.html

here is a picture of a suzuki (japanese sea bass). no stripes like the stripers over here.....japanese names of fishes at sushi bars typically refers to fishes caught in the waters off of japan. when I catch a striper and offer it to my friends, I tell them its similar to suzuki. In addition, like redtail surfperches are similar to tai...and no, tai at sushi bars are most likely tilapia.

bluestar
03-14-2007, 01:09 PM
Other than the stripes, the shape of the fish is almost identical to striped bass...... I wonder if they are very close relatives. No wonder people just link Suzuki to striped bass.

I see that there is actually a different Japanese name for suzukis of different length; 5 in total! How unusual...

http://www.japan-fishing.com/shasin/suzuki2.html

here is a picture of a suzuki (japanese sea bass). *no stripes like the stripers over here.....japanese names of fishes at sushi bars typically refers to fishes caught in the waters off of japan. *when I catch a striper and offer it to my friends, I tell them its similar to suzuki. *In addition, like redtail surfperches are similar to tai...and no, tai at sushi bars are most likely tilapia.