PDA

View Full Version : Diving/fishing north of Fort Ross 3/11

red_dog
03-12-2007, 11:07 AM
I went out in search of a nice cab on Sunday and was disappointed. I dove for about two hours in water from 5 to 20 feet and did not even see a cab. My buddy was fishing from shore when I noticed a ling about 2 feet, so I had my buddy cast near me and I hooked the ling for him so he could reel it in, of course he had to let it go. I donít know where all the cabs were, but I have never been in the water that long with good visibility (10 feet) and not come across one. About mid day a sheriffís helicopter circled our group three times at about 100 feet. Then they did the same thing to another group of anglers north of us. ??? I ended the day with three urchins one tiny black and yellow and one stripped perch. I saw other perch but did not get them. My buddy and GF were fishing from the shore the only fish that was caught was the ling I hooked for my buddy. I tried to eat the urchin roe and it was not for me, got sick later that night. The perch came out bad as usual despite some extra attention, so from now on I will leave the perch and the urchins in the ocean.

PS I took some photos but could not post them despite 30 minutes of trying. Someone should attempt to explain to the owners more pictures equal more users and more users equal more advertising potential this means more money, a better website and happier fish sniffers.

dandeuce
03-12-2007, 12:34 PM
That's a new one , hooking fish for your buddy while diving ! How did you do that , stick the baited hook in its mouth and jerk ? Serve you right if he bit ya ! Also sounds somewhat illegal .

I dive ( 25 yrs. ) and spearfish also , I smell someting a little FISHY and it ain't bait !!!

FinshingSW
03-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Yeah, like is it leagal to use a hawaiian sling for rock fish, i thinks it is, and so is bringing the baited hook to the fish.

red_dog
03-12-2007, 02:15 PM
There is nothing fishy here. *If you spearfish you know the lings like cabs often donít moved they sit on the bottom and wait for smaller fish to swim by. * I spotted the ling in about six feet of water and the ling actually came up to investigate the rental spear gun I was using because it was shinny. *The ling then stetted back on the bottom, my buddy was about 30 yards away on the shore. *I told him to cast to me but he threw his line way further than 30 yards. *So I grabbed the line from where it entered the water and told him the reel in. *When I saw his bait and sinker I told him to stop. *At this point I dropped his line in front of the ling and the ling gulped the squid and I gave the line one good jerk let go of the line, and gave my buddy a thumbs up and swam away. *When he landed the fish I requested they take a picture which they did. *It might be illegal but what harm was done? The fish did not swallow the hook and was promptly returned to the water. * The most intresting thing that day though was not seeing a single cab after all that time. *I will go to reef next time in search of a cab. *

aintscared
03-12-2007, 02:45 PM
You now we caught very few Cab's last year and the year before that we caught several, as a matter of fact I dont think we caught any last year :-?

dandeuce
03-13-2007, 01:36 AM
red dog ,

Try dropping a mesh bag with some ab guts/trimmings , I usually just clip mine to the anchor of my float tube . The cabezon will come , usually more than one , I've had 6 or so just sitting there watching the bait . Back when the limit was more than one you could shoot one and put in on the stringer and go back to your bait and shoot another one and so on . They are not scared by you or the fact their buddy next to them just got shot , not real bright .

If you don't have ab guts , I've heard a couple of urchins work just as well . Crunch them good with a rock or ab iron if your abing .

red_dog
03-13-2007, 07:43 AM
Thanks Dan, When I go all out I do chum with my ab guts in a mesh bag but I haven't been spear fishing in along time and think my guts might be frezerburned. I forgot about using the urchins for chum. I'm still a little perplexed though because when I dive for ab or spear fish without chumming I would always see at leat one cab sitting on a rock. Twice I have caught cabs with my dive knife while looking for abs. On this board I found out it's illegal to take fish with a knife.

dandeuce
03-13-2007, 11:03 AM
red dog ,
Looked around on the DFG site and could not find any regulations on spear length or any regs on dimensions of a spear or gun . I would think a dive knife is or could be a " short spear " and unless someone can point out the specific code on that it would be legal .

I seldom dive with my knife but for safety's sake I should , never know when you might get tangled in some discarded fishing line or light wire . I personally will not hesitate to spear a fish with my " short spear " if the opportunity presents itself .

Good Diving / Fishing to YA !

red_dog
03-13-2007, 12:07 PM
Qute from DaN V

"I seldom dive with my knife but for safety's sake I should , never know when you might get tangled in some discarded fishing line or light wire . I personally will not hesitate to spear a fish with my " short spear " if the opportunity presents itself."

Itís always a good idea to have a knife with you, funny you mentioned fishing line I actually had my first experience of being tangled in fishing line on 3/11. *Lucky for me I was only in six feet of water and I was close enough to the surface to breath. *So I practiced cutting myself free although I was not in danger. *But there are two things you should know about 30lb mono, first itís nearly invisible and second it will easily hold you down, when I was playing in it I tried to power-out of it that was not going to happen. *You can get a cheap knife for 40 bucks. Donít put it on you leg as it will likely get tangled. *Your bicep is good location for the knife. I have been caught twice by kelp once right at the surface and once under both time I cut myself free. *One of the other sniffers told me it was illegal to take fish with a knife and I think they even posted the reg. *That was along time ago so Iím no sure about the reg. *If you do get a knife and find mono in the shallows I would recommend familiarizing yourself with it by making practice cuts and playing with it. *Its better you to learn how to cut it when your life does not hang in the balance. *

Sin_Coast
03-13-2007, 04:14 PM
Just a heads-up:
Don't tell a game warden that you hooked a lingcod for your shorefishing friend or you will receive a citation. Perhaps multiple citations: 1--you can't fish with a hook and line while diving. 2--lingcod season is closed, therefore, you can't even "target" them.
There are probably more regs that they could cite you for too.

I'm not saying "don't do it" ... I'm just saying "don't tell a warden you did it."

Good luck!

metalmouth
03-13-2007, 08:17 PM
This thread is locked. >:(