PDA

View Full Version : Halibut from the Surf?

FinshingSW
03-12-2007, 06:54 PM
Hear the Hali's are coming around.

So does anyone have any word on this?

Would like to try out the swim bait technique from the surf, any advice appreciated.

MB_Kevin
03-12-2007, 07:25 PM
I know a couple were caught last year on accent by striper fisherman. I would have no Idea how to target them. This is a great question I hope to hear some answers. 8-)

ZACK
03-12-2007, 07:32 PM
Treasure Island would be worth a shot. Hit it in the am and fish the West side if you can find access? I know the North side does. Yeah, I think if you walked down its shore line casting out a swim bait as far as you can and let it sink and retrieved it slowly you might bang em. I mentioned the West side in the am due to in the afternoon it will get cheezy out there but the North side will stay sweet all day. Who knows you might even hit a striper or two. I have never fished it with swim baits just live anchovies but if you can mimic an anchovy and slow retrieve your offering on the bottom it wouldn't surprise me if you were successful.

Good luck, ZACK!

SCsurfcaster
03-12-2007, 09:42 PM
Havent caught a hali from the surf up here so far, but down south (Ventura), I have caught plenty of legals from the surf.

As far as gear, 7-8 ft spinning rod with 8 lb, with a 1/4 oz lead head or bigger according to wind/surf and my standy-by plastics were 3-4" rainbow trout colored fish traps, worm kings or big hammer. Usually use a slow steady retrieve, keeping slight contact with the bottom when possible.

I have used the same techniques up here and have caught numerous big perch and a couple stripers (biggest about 10 lbs). As far as beachs, I am not to sure around here, although a good bet would be the nice sandy beachs of the monterey bay. It still might be a bit early, and am still looking to land one here soon myself! If you have anymore questions, drop me a pm.

sethonious
03-13-2007, 09:34 AM
I have been trying to figure out how to do this up and down Chrissy Field. I have not had any success yet, but if and when I do I will share my set-up. So far the crabs have been tearing up my live baits, and no success yet on lures. I am determined to get shore halibut from the bay this year though. We'll see!

recs1 JBF
03-13-2007, 01:00 PM
You've got the right spot at Crissy Field. Try plugging near the tube that sticks out on the beach, on either side is a good place to look. I have caught many flatties over there using hair raisers, kast masters, mikey jigs and swim baits. A slow retrive with a jerk and pause will generatte alot of strikes. Good luck and maybe I'll see ya out there in a couple of month's.

Sin_Coast
03-13-2007, 04:03 PM
Big difference between "from the shore in the bay" and "in the surf in the ocean." Both can be done but you will probably want to employ slightly different techniques for each of these locations.
Halibut are caught much more frequently in the surf down south. Whereas you will catch more halibut in the Bay up here.
Here's a nice little 33 incher that was caught in the surf in Monterey Bay last year:
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/5357/halibut003small9zvkm2.th.jpg (http://img148.imageshack.us/my.php?image=halibut003small9zvkm2.jpg)

Narrow down your search and you will probably receive more specific answers.
Good luck!

SCsurfcaster
03-13-2007, 05:04 PM
Your right, there is a huge difference between catching them in the Bay and in the surf. Catching them in the breakers is damn exciting and I assume alot tougher up here. Nice Flatty! Where abouts in the monterey bay did you get him?

ghostfish_slayer
03-13-2007, 05:40 PM
lol,,from those rocks he is standing on.last year has been the first year in the last 5 years that i didn't catch one from the surf here..