PDA

View Full Version : iPhone or Android Apps

Cali Duck
03-06-2012, 09:04 PM
I'ld like to to hear what you guys are using for your mobile devices? Maybe list your top 5 and your platform (Android or iOS)

Jfitalia
03-06-2012, 10:52 PM
navionics for my galaxy 2

WLShafor
03-06-2012, 11:25 PM
Went from the HTC EVO to a quality built reliable iPhone 4S I do not plan on going back to a Android phone.

Top apps would be

Craigslist Pro
Tapatalk (used for viewing this forum)
Pandora
PriceCheck
5-0 Radio Pro
Comic Zeal
Fishing Spots
UnixCmds
Fishing Knots
WhatKnot
Bill Dance
Game Time
TinyTower
SoundCloud

Cali Duck
03-07-2012, 12:02 AM
Let's keep it fish sniffer related, thanks!

AnglingWes
03-07-2012, 06:02 AM
Tapatalk and Fishhead for fishing. Both are multiplatform.BTW, I think everything on WL's list is fishing related to some capacity.

Sent from my iPhone

ReelJerks
03-07-2012, 08:13 AM
What about data usage and fees? Seems there is no more UNLIMITED plans with the major players.

I'm going to need to step up with one of these (for the CC swipe feature) but the data charges scare me.

Edd

AnglingWes
03-07-2012, 08:24 AM
Edd,

Data transfer is only counted when using 3/4G cell service. When on WiFi, data is not counted. I have two iPhones, each with ATT's "Unlimited" 2GB data plan, and have gone over once in two years. Unless you are streaming movies on the boat, its hard to burn 2GB. I am on WiFi 90% of the time, so its really a non-issue for me. Even if you do happen to go over, ATT charges $15 for an additional 1GB. Pretty reasonable I suppose.

The average Credit Card transaction requires about 50k of data, the same as an average email with graphics. That's 4,000,000 (Million) credit card transactions for every 2GB. If you are doing 1/10th of that amount of business, going over your data limit is hardly a concern. :)

ReelJerks
03-07-2012, 08:43 AM
Wes is there any advantage for 4g over 3g other than speed?

AnglingWes
03-07-2012, 09:28 AM
Wes is there any advantage for 4g over 3g other than speed?

It is simply a speed thing. When browsing the web on a smart phone, 4G is considerably faster than 3G. Its like the difference between old school dial up and the first DSL back in the day. There is a huge speed difference if you talk on the phone while browsing the web at the same time, but who really does that?

I have 3G, and it is totally useable, but the average page, like this one, takes 5-8 seconds to fully load. On WiFi, the connection speed is the same as your home computer.

On of the cool things that makes Apps so effective is that there is an app for most web based content that runs much faster than using a browser. Example: I can go to my Bank's web site in a browser and it works fine, with slower page loads. I can use the Bank's app, and it is WAY faster because most of the information that has to load in actually on the device, and it is formatted for the iPhone screen. So, to transfer money using the browser, I have to wait for 4-5 pages to load and scroll all over the place to find the icons I need on a small screen. Using the App, it takes 3 seconds and only actually transmits a fraction of the data.

Make sense, or more confusing?

ReelJerks
03-07-2012, 09:41 AM
Very helpful Wes and my thanks. I have checked with ATT and I have one upgrade to use so I can get the iPhone 3 with 8gig mem for $00.99. Looks like I have to do this. 3GIG plan is $30 and overdata chg is $10.

Edd

WLShafor
03-07-2012, 09:41 AM
Good catch on seeing how 1/2 of my top apps are fishing related.

Tapatalk and Fishhead for fishing. Both are multiplatform.BTW, I think everything on WL's list is fishing related to some capacity.

Sent from my iPhone

WLShafor
03-07-2012, 09:46 AM
I'm with Sprint and I have unlimited data plan I'm surfing the net, streaming music 5-8 hours a day on my iPhone and my bill stays the same same with the wife.

The battery life on the iPhone 4S kicks the EVO's but hands down.

Go with Apple if you are planning on upgrading to a new phone.

The 4G was fast when the service was available on the HTC EVO but the 3G works just as well on the iPhone. I can't really see what one is faster or better because 4G was hard to find and it killed the battery life of the EVO

Buy Apple and forget about hacking,cracking or modifying the I device there's no need to its that good and fast of a platform.

AnglingWes
03-07-2012, 10:00 AM
Very helpful Wes and my thanks. I have checked with ATT and I have one upgrade to use so I can get the iPhone 3 with 8gig mem for $00.99. Looks like I have to do this. 3GIG plan is $30 and overdata chg is $10.

Edd

I have a 3G 8GB phone, and it is my life blood, but my wife's 4G/S is far superior. That phone is now 2 versions old, and is getting a bit sluggish with some of the newer apps. If it doesn't break the bank, get a newer version.

Jfitalia
03-07-2012, 10:02 AM
What about data usage and fees? Seems there is no more UNLIMITED plans with the major players.

I'm going to need to step up with one of these (for the CC swipe feature) but the data charges scare me.

Edd

honestly I have tmobile and they are great. now they don't have an unlimited data plan but i'm on the internet all.day on my phone and I never come close to my data limits. as for the cc slider I work for a bank as a business banker and we have the unit for your phone or laptop and its free for the unit and 2.7% for each charge which honestly is the charge from B of A for they're normal store machine. shoot me a PM and I'll let you know what bank.

-Jeremy

Cali Duck
03-07-2012, 07:53 PM
Seriously guys? Cell phone plans and wireless speeds? I work in the IT field and could talk all day on mobile devices, but I was hoping to find out more of what apps people use for fishing.

I checked out navionics, very cool app! Love the tide info from it but a little pricey at 9.99 for an app. Found some knot tying apps and fish guides, maybe I'll post a review of each after I use them more.

AnglingWes
03-07-2012, 08:21 PM
Most guys who say "I work in the IT field" sell laptops for the Geek Squad.

Sent from my iPhone

Cali Duck
03-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Not often, but better to be employed in a similar field as to what you'd like to pursue for your career. Everyone has to start somewhere and I think being in IT is great for the minds of today. Hell, it's the future.

fairplay
03-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Hungry Shark
iFishing
Winds
Tides:USA
Animated Knots
Gaia GPS
National weather service (Lots of great sites on noaa. recreational forecasts for lakes, buoy real time data, etc )
cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecapp ( California reservoir data, and river flow rates )
all on my iphone

Reel Fun
03-25-2012, 08:25 PM
Ummmm..........Tide Graph!!

RF

WLShafor
03-25-2012, 09:18 PM
iPhone hands down!