PDA

View Full Version : Dinner for tonight 03-06-12 Roasted Striped Bass Veracruz-Style

JwG
03-07-2012, 04:58 PM
Veracruz-Style Roasted Striped Bass

Ingredients:
2-pound boneless, skinless striper fillet.
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 pound fresh tomatoes or 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
½ large yellow onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 medium cloves garlic, thinly sliced
¼ cup dry white wine
6 to 8 pickled jalapeno slices, or to taste
1 ½ to 2 oz. pitted green olives, chopped (about 1/3 cup)
1 to 2 tablespoon capers, rinsed, to taste
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
(plus more to garnish)
1 tablespoon chopped oregano

Instructions: Preheat oven to 400.Place striper in a nonreactive container or plastic resealable bag. Pour enough lemon juice –about half-over the striper to moisten both sides thoroughly (reserve zest and extra juice). Cover and refrigerate for no longer than 45 minutes; turn after 15 to 20 minutes.
Cut tomatoes into bite-size pieces; set aside. Thinly cut onion lengthwise.
Add oil to a nonreactive, medium-size saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, stir occasionally and cook until soft, about 1 ½ minutes. Add garlic, cook briefly until it becomes aromatic, then add wine; reduce by at least half. Add tomatoes, jalapenos, olives and capers. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Reduce heat to medium and cook until tomatoes start to break down and release juices, about 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in parsley and oregano.
Meanwhile, remove striper from lemon juice; discard juice. Season striper with salt and pepper, the place fillet in a nonreactive baking dish.
Spoon the hot tomato mixture over the striper, then place dish in the oven.
Roast about 7-8 minutes per inch thickness of the fillet, or to desired doneness. Taste vegetables; adjust with salt, pepper and touch more lemon juice if desired. Garnish with parsley and a little of the lemon zest.
Serve with tortillas or roasted potatoes, which you can also cook in the 400 oven.

Cilantro Rice

Ingredients:
3 ½ cups packed cilantro leaves (about 3 oz.)
3 medium garlic cloves
1 medium Serrano chile, halved lengthwise and seeded
3 1/3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
½ cup minced yellow onion
2 cups ling-grain white rice
1 tablespoon kosher salt

Instructions: Combine cilantro, garlic, chile, and 2 cups broth in a blender and process until smooth; set aside.
Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. When it shimmers, add onion and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Add rice and salt stir to coat in oil and cook until rice becomes opaque, about 2 minutes. Carefully pour the cilantro mixture and the remaining 1 1/3 cups broth into the rice and stir to combine. Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat to low so rice is at a simmer. Cover and cook until rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Turn off heat and let rice rest covered for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork and serve.

CRABBY
03-07-2012, 05:29 PM
Man I wish I lived closer,you eat way to good James!!!!!:chowtime:

CRABBY
03-07-2012, 05:33 PM
What are capers??

JwG
03-07-2012, 05:41 PM
What are capers??

They are from the caper bush.
Grown in Mediterranean coutries.
They are the flower buds that are pickled.

You can find them at the store in the pickle isle.

Being pickled they have a salty quality.

AnglingWes
03-07-2012, 06:28 PM
What grocery store sells Striper????

LURKER916
03-07-2012, 06:43 PM

Dude the way you are nailing em you could have a freezer full!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngelosPop
03-07-2012, 06:49 PM
What are capers??

:stomper: You been living under a rock?

Good Stuff! Bout half the size of a pea, same color, with a tart flavor.
My favorite chicken piccata has capers all over it. Mmmmmmmm

CRABBY
03-07-2012, 07:11 PM
:stomper: You been living under a rock?

Good Stuff! Bout half the size of a pea, same color, with a tart flavor.
My favorite chicken piccata has capers all over it. MmmmmmmmHaHa,guess so,I still have no clue about them never heard of em NEVER!!!Oh well,back to my rock...:bushman01hl6jw:

Seon
03-07-2012, 07:14 PM
I'm a visual kind of guy...so where are the pics?? :embarassed: :smiley:

AngelosPop
03-07-2012, 07:20 PM
HaHa,guess so,I still have no clue about them never heard of em NEVER!!!Oh well,back to my rock...:bushman01hl6jw:

Not to deviate to far off course...... But how the heck warm does it have to get for you to get out from under your rock and start providing us with fishing reports. :rotfl2: :cheerleader: Get to fishing already! :wine1:

JwG
03-07-2012, 07:24 PM
HaHa,guess so,I still have no clue about them never heard of em NEVER!!!Oh well,back to my rock...:bushman01hl6jw:

Yeah, not that uncommon not to have heard of them. They can be an acquired taste.
Like most recipes if it is not the main ingredient you can leave it out if you don't like it.
You want to enjoy the dish, main thing, after all that work to put it together.
I am very lucky that my wife is a GREAT cook.
But I do like to eat, and try many new flavors.

Why the Super Duper Market of JwG!!

:banana:

JwG
03-07-2012, 07:27 PM
I'm a visual kind of guy...so where are the pics?? :embarassed: :smiley:

Sorry Seon, no pics this time.

I ate it to fast!!

Next time,............. maybe.

Steve079
03-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Couple of good sounding recipes there...Capers are a good add to a lot of fish, but thats a new way I'd like to try. The rice sounds great too, thats one we can try right away, and we will. thanks for sharing those.

WLShafor
03-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Yumm

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

JwG
03-08-2012, 03:25 AM
Couple of good sounding recipes there...Capers are a good add to a lot of fish, but thats a new way I'd like to try. The rice sounds great too, thats one we can try right away, and we will. thanks for sharing those.
Thanks guys for all the replys.

This was a couple of recipes that I wanted to share as they both were SO good.

The rice dish is easy to put together and makes both a great side or as a bed for your fish.

I like to eat and cook.

I really enjoy this board.http://www.fishsniffer.com/images/icons/icon6.png

FLA Sunshine Girl
03-13-2012, 04:01 AM
Hats Off To The Chef,

The sun is just coming up as I'm checking in on ya'll and Mrs. JwG is making my tummy growl. Please post more when the time is right. Kimmie