PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going squid fishing this weekend

ocean_314
03-02-2007, 08:30 AM
Is anyone going fishing for the humbolt squid this weekend? If you are please let me know if it is any good. I want to go out tuesday if the squid are there.

Toxic_Waste
03-02-2007, 11:57 AM
Funny, I was just going to post that Deep_Sixx and I are going fishing for Humboldt squid this coming Monday, and wondering if anybody else wants to go that day. So far I think there's only 4 people signed up. We are signed up with Randy's Fishing Trips out of Monterey Bay. Which locale were you interested in, ocean?

Last time we went, we had to go aboard another outfit's boat, and we found squid, all right, but I lost all three that I hooked with the jig. The first two I lost because there were way too many anglers on board and all we did was tangle up almost constantly. Give those things an inch of slack and they're gone!

One guy wouldn't even fish he was so mad about that. Turned out to be just an expensive "boat ride" for him. The third one I lost when the boat took a big swell and the jig pulled right outta lucky ol' Squidward. This was off Cypress Point, about a 1200'-plus depth.

ZACK
03-02-2007, 02:25 PM
Funny, I was just going to post that Deep_Sixx and I are going fishing for Humboldt squid this coming Monday, and wondering if anybody else wants to go that day. So far I think there's only 4 people signed up. We are signed up with Randy's Fishing Trips out of Monterey Bay. Which locale were you interested in, ocean?

Last time we went, we had to go aboard another outfit's boat, and we found squid, all right, but I lost all three that I hooked with the jig. The first two I lost because there were way too many anglers on board and all we did was tangle up almost constantly. Give those things an inch of slack and they're gone!

One guy wouldn't even fish he was so mad about that. Turned out to be just an expensive "boat ride" for him. The third one I lost when the boat took a big swell and the jig pulled right outta lucky ol' Squidward. This was off Cypress Point, about a 1200'-plus depth.

Man,
you really know how to sell a "Squid Trip"! ;D

Seriously, thanks for keepin it real. ZACK!

ocean_314
03-02-2007, 03:19 PM
I am looking to go out of Bodega Bay

Toxic_Waste
03-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Hey, Zack...yeah, as they say, some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue. That was my turn to be the statue. But in a previous post, I joked around about how the day before or the day after I go out fishing it's always a great catch! It's usually true, though!

Haven't had any overcrowding issues with the outfit we're going out with on Monday.... if anything I am more concerned that there won't be enough people to make a trip.

Ocean_314, seems like the reports of the Bodega Bay squid trips show a more consistent and reliable catch than in the Monterey Bay area. I won't have Internet access over there, but the trip reports I use can be viewed online at

http://www.sportfishingreport.com/pages/landingdetail.php?landing_id=39

I hope this isn't in any conflict with this Web site...if so, AdMin can edit it out.

It looks like some of the party boat squid trips are turning into sandab/mackerel trips....just so the people can catch something. I am getting anxious to catch a Humboldt, as time is running out and this will be my third try.

gmdcdvm
03-02-2007, 07:00 PM
What squid jigs were you using?

I can't say enough about the candy catcher squid jigs. I think they hold the squid a lot better than the others out there. The leng of the prongs and the overall size of the "crowns" I think helps them stick into the squid and get a good hold. There were 3 or 4 of use using these jigs, and the only one I lost was due to a tangle that took about 4 minutes to figure out. The guys from the company actually came up north and went out on a trip from Emeryville on the new salmon queen. Seems like those jigs had the best hook up to landing percentage.

You can check them out on line www.candycatchers.com. If you can't find any locally since they are a newer company then just call them up. He'll ship them to you.

I used the 1.5lb size on our trip out of Bodega Bay with no problems. I also have their 10oz and 2.5lb version, but didn't end up using these.

Good luck and I hope you guys get into them.
Gerry

Toxic_Waste
03-03-2007, 09:44 AM
At the moment, I dunno what brand of squid jig I use...bought a couple from the party boat place. Here's a pic, though:

http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/3112/squidjigak7.jpg

gmdcdvm
03-03-2007, 10:29 PM
Those look like the Ahi jigs. They'll work fine, but it seems like you lose more with those jigs. The candy catchers are about the same price. If you look at the two side by side the candy catchers are not as long nor do they have as many crowns of spikes. But, there crowns are wider in diameter and the spikes are longer. I think thats why they tend to hold onto the squid better.

Gerry

abdiver12
03-08-2007, 12:30 AM
Yes, it does look like the spikes on that jig are a little small compared to Candy Catchers jumbo. Much easier for a big gnarly squid to pull off those little hooks! I'd definitely invest in the best jigs around. With the scarcity of squid this season, you'll want to make the most of every opportunity you get to land one and not lose them due to inferior tackle.

Toxic_Waste
03-08-2007, 10:46 AM
Well, squid trip number 3 was a bust, at least for Humboldts. We (deep_sixx and me) did catch around 50 sanddabs, which helped stop my grumbling. I knew before the boat even left dock that the squid fishing was gonna be a waste of time. I heard the deckhand talking on the phone and he was saying how lousy the Humboldt squid fishing has been (in and around Monterey Bay) and that they were only gonna try for an hour and then go after mackerel and dabs. :(

For a while there, I was afraid I wasn't even gonna get any dabs because all we did was chase schools of mackerel around. I was very vocal about how I didn't have a chance to get down deep enough to get any dabs. We were saying that we would like to go to a place where we could catch dabs without 30 million mackerel trying to attack each hook on the Sabiki rigs.

Finally, we did move to a spot about 250 feet deep where the sandddab fishing couldn't have been any better. A very few macks were still being caught, but not often. We were hauling aboard dabs left and right and the captain said it was an unusually good day for dab fishing. The captain had 10 hooks rigged up on his line and most of the time, he hauled up 10 dabs at a time.

Learned something interesting -- the captain said we needed bigger hooks (we were using 10s and 8s) in order to get bigger dabs, so he gave me his last Sabiki rig set up with number 2 hooks. We all used strips of market squid on each hook. I did start catching bigger dabs, but deep_sixx was managing to catch some big ones with 10s, so it IS possible.

But anyway, back to topic -- all the charter/party boat places were saying that Humboldt squid fishing seems to have come to a dead-end for whatever reason. What a gyp! When I finally do get one, I hate to think how many thousands of dollars I will have spent on this quest!

Will start another thread to talk about the surf perch we caught.