PDA

View Full Version : Fishing from shore north of Fort Ross 3/4

red_dog
03-05-2007, 10:16 AM
I went in search of some rock fish on Sunday north of Fort Ross. My buddy and I got there around 11. We through our lines in and five minutes later we both had fish on. The day ended with 5 greenling (one of which was let go) and two perch. The weather was excellent. I took the perch home too and tried to cook them. I fried them whole in oil they came out ok but were missing something. Dose anyone know a good recipe for perch? Iím not sure what kind if perch they are but they are always hanging around the reefs with the other rock fish. They have bleuish redish colors on them. and for bait we used the Safeway squid.

fishhogg
03-05-2007, 10:43 AM
careful dude, the limit of greenling is one per person, cabezon-1 per person, and sounds like you caught rainbow perch... usually 1-2 lbs, best to fillet them, bread them, some lemon pepper and garlic, fried in butter, pretty good!

red_dog
03-05-2007, 11:00 AM
I too thought I was only one per person, and we left the reg book in the car. So after we caught out third fish I walked over and asked another angler and he told me it was two per person so we took two each. When we got back to the car we checked the reg book sure enough two per person. Last year it was one per person.

Kelp or Rock Greenling Same as RCG Complex, above Same as RCG Complex, above 2 fish per person; also included in the 10-fish aggregate RCG Complex bag limit 12" total length

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/bfregs2007.html

tarbuckle
03-05-2007, 01:25 PM
I too thought I was only one per person, and we left the reg book in the car. *So after we caught out third fish I walked over and asked another angler and he told me it was two per person so we took two each. *When we got back to the car we checked the reg book sure enough two per person. *Last year it was one per person. *

Kelp or Rock Greenling Same as RCG Complex, above Same as RCG Complex, above 2 fish per person; also included in the 10-fish aggregate RCG Complex bag limit 12" total length

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/bfregs2007.html

Good call Red Dog. They changed the regs this year. One of the first things I noticed when the new regs came up
Rainbow perch for sure. I catch them alot in the reefs this time of year.

Sin_Coast
03-05-2007, 03:58 PM
For some reason, I thought there was some bs rule that said the new regs aren't official until the end of March or something. Although, after searching the DFG website, I must have been wrong because it doesn't say anything about this.

Thanks for the report, and congrats on the shore-caught rockfish and perch!

fishhogg
03-05-2007, 09:38 PM
thanks for that, wasnt aware of the change... Damn dfg cant make there mind up for how they wanna manage each fish, oh well thanks for the update...

The_Talis
03-05-2007, 11:22 PM
If anyone knows the secret to making those perch taste good, I'd like to hear it! Every time I've tried cooking them, the fillets turn out bland and mushy.

Uncle_Sam
03-05-2007, 11:56 PM
Ten years ago I caught two cabzon in one afternoon fishing from shore just north of Fort Ross. I threw the first one back because it wasn't big enough to be a dinner for me. I threw the second one back because it wasn't big enough to be dinner for me and I didn't have enough daylight left to catch another to go with it. Now there is a one fish limit and a 15 inch minimum size. My girlfriend caught an undersize cabezon at the same place last year. My gut attitude is that it can't be an endangered species if we can catch it.

Fish_R_Us
03-06-2007, 01:01 PM
I don't believe any of the (RGC/Groundfish) species are close to being on the endangered list, or even the threatened list. If they were, there would already be a "no-take" policy in place.

It's pretty interesting how some of the "sebaste" species can take over 20 years to get only 12 inches in length.

I wish I had a recepie for your inquiry on the surfpurch, but I don't keep them. There's too many bones for me to deal with. I just release them back to their lair.

Rock_Hopper
03-06-2007, 03:21 PM
Nice fishing!

Just an FYI - rainbow perch are not as common up north as striped perch. You probably caught a striped perch.

Did it look like this?

http://www.pierfishing.com/msgboard/images/dsc02177.jpg

red_dog
03-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Yep, rockhopper that was the fish. Do you have any advise for cooking them?

TSL
03-06-2007, 04:33 PM
i was a little too far off the coast to see anyone on shore
how ever i was on one of the boats you saw on the horizon
the crab boat i am playing on is 32' blue and white
we threw the anchor out at fort ross and slept till mid night
the water was flat but the curent was fast
our bouys on the northern most strings were completely hidden under the water
we were hoping the moon and tide would allow the bouys to pop up
we were wrong
at about 11:00 am monday we were able to pull them with great difficulty

all in all for 2 runs up the coast, 4 days on the water, and 2 days of cutting bait
we ended with 1283lb
beat the heck out of a couple weeks ago

have fun all

TSL

Rock_Hopper
03-07-2007, 11:36 AM
Sorry Red Dog - I tried one BBQ'ed on the grill one time and it was mushy and not very good...so I haven't kept one since. :-/

fishhogg
03-07-2007, 11:44 AM
limits of redtail all week have been producing some fabulous meals, u guys dont know what to do with them... excelent fish to eat this time of year!

fishhogg
03-07-2007, 11:52 AM
hey rock, would u call that a rainbow or striped perch?

fishhogg
03-07-2007, 12:02 PM
whats that have to do with perch or rock fish? Most guys use a trailor buoy, then theres no worry about the moon or current or tide...

TSL
03-07-2007, 01:35 PM
whats that have to do with perch or rock fish? *Most guys use a trailor buoy, then theres no worry about the moon or current or tide...

i presume you are refering to my post
my post refers to nothing about perch fishing
my post refers to being one of the boats he was looking at

as for trailer buoys
you will notice my post says "buoys"
further more ....did someone "P" in your wheaties today?

TSL

red_dog
03-07-2007, 02:35 PM
Team Sheryl Lee we might have seen your boat we were driving we noticed only two boats one appeared to be blue to me. Although I was driving so I coulden't look too much.

Thanks rock hopper for the advise I think I will give the striped perch one more college try.

catfished
03-07-2007, 03:54 PM
hey rock, would u call that a rainbow or striped perch?

The one in Rock_hopper's photo is definitely a striped perch.