PDA

View Full Version : Lake Mcswain banking it

artsfishin
03-10-2012, 07:35 PM
Arrived at mcswain about 7:45 and the brushpile and handicap dock were packed. We walked east of the launch ramp and found a nice spot for us by the RV campsites. About an hour into it I got a small rainbow trout. It put up a good fight but it was really small so I released him to grow bigger for next time! The rest of the day was pretty slow but we ended up keeping 3 trout, 2 on mini crawlers and 1 on crawler/powerbait combo. It was really weird because for about 20 mins trout were jumping all around so I tied on a kastmaster but as soon as I started throwing it they stopped jumping and I didn't even get a nibble!!! Also there were alot of carp out there. My buddy got 3 of them little guys that he threw back. We left at about 2:30pm and we only saw maybe 3 other fish pulled out.

RideNfish
03-10-2012, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the report AF!

Glad you were able to work some out. I chuckled when you said, "It was really weird because for about 20 mins trout were jumping all around so I tied on a kastmaster but as soon as I started throwing it they stopped jumping and I didn't even get a nibble!!!" Isn't that just life? haha Should of thrown a woolly bugger behind a bobber. That might of been the trick. But then again might not :)

Cheers,

artsfishin
03-10-2012, 09:29 PM
To be honest with you I'm pretty new to trout fishin and I keep hearing about that wooly bugger but I don't know what it is. I used the basic sliding sinker and made sure I floated the worm with air and some scented oil. I also rubbed some pro-cure anise krill scent on it.

RideNfish
03-10-2012, 09:44 PM
You did good AF. Your bait set up is spot on. This is just another great way to fish and is more fun (IMO) when the fish hits than a bait rod in a holder. What I like too is, that if you have a two rod license then I have a bait one out like you and then throw other goodies.

Here is a thread I started a couple of months ago. (http://www.fishsniffer.com/trout-board/94398-melones-12-30-[pics-trout].html#post847003) It is a good read and I think on the second page I posted details with a pic on the woolly set up and how to use it. Let me know if you have any other questions. It isn't full proof by any means but sure is fun when it's on!

Cheers,

P.S. You might consider placing your home town in your profile so it shows up like mine for Riverbank. You will find more people contact you for help and fishing stuff when they know you are their neighbor :) That is "if" you want us wacko's around ya. haha

artsfishin
03-11-2012, 08:39 AM
Wow that's some detail in that report!! I'm definately gonna have to try that next time I go. Thanks for the help. I'll keep you guys posted!!!