PDA

View Full Version : Sand Crab Classic

titelinez
03-05-2007, 08:45 AM
Hi Guys and Gals,

Let me start by saying this was my very first tournament ever. Alan and Mike made it a very easy and fun experience.

We all met down at the meeting room at the SC harbor. We were given an overview of the rules: biggest fish wins, be back here by 2pm...blah blah...

So once we signed in, got our meal tags and raffle tickets we were off. I figured that a lot of people would be going to my favorite place (Manresa) and I might want to start somewhere else to avoid the crowds. I did however drop by Manresa just to see what it looked like. It was a total zoo. There was a line of cars just waiting to get into the parking lot.

I moved right on down the line and started fishing at Sunset. I was met in the parking lot by a few fisherman getting their gear ready. I talked to a couple of them and as it turns out, none of them were fishing the classic. I was pretty stoked, thinking that I would pretty much have the beach to myself. Not quite the case. There was at least half a dozen guys fishing the beach at Sunset. I fished for an hour+ at Sunset with only a few nibbles to show for it. I talked to half the guys fishing the beach on my way out and it was the same for everybody except one fisherman who had 7 small BSPs all under 6 inches.

I decide to take a calculated risk and continue fishing unfamiliar waters to avoid the crowds. I ended up driving down to Moss Landing to try my rod down there. Again there were only about 6 anglers on the beach and nobody seemed to be catching anything. I made my way down the beach a ways but found nothing but seaweed. After another hour or so i decided to call it quits and head back to Manresa.

By the time I get back, there is not a fisherman in sight. I figure people have either caught their big fish and moved on or it was a slow morning. As I'm cruising to my favorite hole I talk to one fisherman and a ranger who claim a slow morning for everybody they talked to. I get to the hole and find a nice little rip. I tossed out my offering and am happy to feel my rod bend to the tune of a 6" BSP. At least I would not get skunked at my first tourny. I could have left and not fished another minute and would have been happy. However I kept fishing this nice little rip and my patience paid off.

I made another toss and my brand new 7' UL rod doubled over. I knew this was either my big fish or a small striper. As it turned out it was a 11.5" BSP. I knew this wouldn't win the tournament but at least I would maybe have a chance at 3rd if the day was as slow as it seemed to have been for other anglers.

I fished for a while longer but only managed to pull 6-8"ers out of the water. Happy with my big fish I called it a day and went back to the harbor for the "weigh-in".

It was pretty obvious that I wasn't going to place when I showed up cause the guy who won 1st place had a 14" fish. It was huge. I looked at the list of measured fish and 1st, 2nd and 3rd places had obviously been filled. 14", 13" and 12" respectively. Not a huge surprise with 100 anglers.

Congratulations to the winners. You guys pulled in some huge fish. I had a great time and definitely plan to attend next year.

A huge thanks to Alan and Mike for making my first tournament a really great one. I didn't win but I'm pretty sure I placed in the top 10 which was much better than I expected and I walked away with some really nice raffle prizes.

Oh and here's a pic of my big fish. I had some guy on the beach take this pic for me:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/plastichead13/DSCF1087.jpg

BASNFAN
03-05-2007, 08:13 PM
Good report and sorry it wasn't better for most of the 100 anglers. I do have a question though. Do you have an idea what the winners did and what most of the others did? Like how many baitfished, how many fly fished, and how many were throwing grubs and sandworms? Just curious.
BASNFAN :D