PDA

View Full Version : Cure your own Corned Beef

JwG
03-13-2012, 09:24 AM
Cure your own Corned Beef
This is a five day cure so I am starting mine now for the 17th.

Corned Beef

1 ½ cups kosher salt
½ cup sugar
4 teaspoons pink salt (optional) **
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 tablespoons pickling spice (see below) *
1 5lb. beef brisket
1 carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
1 medium onion, peeled and cut in two
1 celery stalk, roughly chopped

In pot large enough to hold brisket, combine 1 gal. water with kosher salt, sugar, pink salt (if using), garlic, and 2 tablespoons pickling spice. Bring to a simmer, stirring until salt & sugar are dissolved. Remove from heat & let cool to room temp., then refrigerate until chilled.

Place brisket in brine, weighted with a plate to keep it submerged; cover. I use my FoodSaver and seal.
Refrigerate for 5 days.

Remove brisket from brine and rinse thoroughly. Place in a pot just large enough to hold it. Cover with water and add remaining pickling spice, carrot, onion and celery. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to low & cover. Simmer until brisket is fork tender, about 3 hours, adding water as needed to cover brisket.

Meat can be refrigerated for several days in cooking liquid. Reheat in the liquid or serve chilled. Additional vegetables can be simmered until tender in the cooking liquid.
Serve with sautéed cabbage or Brussels sprouts and boiled potatoes.

Can also be sliced thinly and served on a sandwich.

*Pickling Spice

2 tablespoons black peppercorns
2 tablespoons mustard seeds
2 tablespoons coriander seeds
2 tablespoons hot red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons allspice berries
1 tablespoon ground mace
2 small cinnamon sticks, crushed
2 to 4 bay leaces, crumbled
2 tablespoons whole cloves
1 tablespoon ground ginger

Lightly toast the peppercorns, mustard seeds and coriander seeds in a small dry pan, then smash with the side of a knife just to crack them.
Combine the cracked spiced with the remaining ingredients, mixing well. Store in a tightly sealed plastic container or glass jar.

** Pink salt is a curing salt and sold under different names (tinted cure mix or T.C.M., DQ Curing salt and Insta Cure #1). No matter the name it is all the same: 93.75% salt and 6.25% nitrite. Nitrite does a few things to meat: it changes the flavor, preserves the meat’s red color, prevents fat from going rancid and prevents bacteria from growing. The Pink Salt is optional in this recipe.

JwG
03-13-2012, 01:16 PM
Okay the beef brisket is soaking in the brine, in the refrigerator. The brine went together quick and simple including making the pickling spice. See my post #1.

I cut the 5 pound brisket in ½ to make it fit into my brine pot easier.

Now that I have done this I have decided to use one 2 ½ lb. piece of the brisket to make Pastrami.

Pastrami differs from Corned Beef in two main ways: it’s smoked and it’s coated with a combination of crushed coriander seeds and black peppercorns. Other than that, it’s Corned Beef underneath a smoky crust using the same brine as listed in my post #1.

The coriander-peppercorn crust is a spicy flavorful seasoning that works well on most meats, as well as FISH and poultry.

Stay tuned to this board for the Pastrami smoke and crust recipes.

Yes Seon, I will take pictures of both the Corned Beef and Pastrami and post to the appropriate corresponding threads. :lolk:

Marv
03-13-2012, 07:06 PM
That sounds very good! I've always wanted to make my own pastrami and corn beef. when it's ready FEED ME VISUALY, LOL..... Forget that, lets share some time fishing and a couple sammys :)

CATKILLER
03-16-2012, 12:37 PM
Cure your own Corned Beef
This is a five day cure so I am starting mine now for the 17th.

Corned Beef

1 ½ cups kosher salt
½ cup sugar
4 teaspoons pink salt (optional) **
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 tablespoons pickling spice (see below) *
1 5lb. beef brisket
1 carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
1 medium onion, peeled and cut in two
1 celery stalk, roughly chopped

In pot large enough to hold brisket, combine 1 gal. water with kosher salt, sugar, pink salt (if using), garlic, and 2 tablespoons pickling spice. Bring to a simmer, stirring until salt & sugar are dissolved. Remove from heat & let cool to room temp., then refrigerate until chilled.

Place brisket in brine, weighted with a plate to keep it submerged; cover. I use my FoodSaver and seal.
Refrigerate for 5 days.

Remove brisket from brine and rinse thoroughly. Place in a pot just large enough to hold it. Cover with water and add remaining pickling spice, carrot, onion and celery. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to low & cover. Simmer until brisket is fork tender, about 3 hours, adding water as needed to cover brisket.

Meat can be refrigerated for several days in cooking liquid. Reheat in the liquid or serve chilled. Additional vegetables can be simmered until tender in the cooking liquid.
Serve with sautéed cabbage or Brussels sprouts and boiled potatoes.

Can also be sliced thinly and served on a sandwich.

*Pickling Spice

2 tablespoons black peppercorns
2 tablespoons mustard seeds
2 tablespoons coriander seeds
2 tablespoons hot red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons allspice berries
1 tablespoon ground mace
2 small cinnamon sticks, crushed
2 to 4 bay leaces, crumbled
2 tablespoons whole cloves
1 tablespoon ground ginger

Lightly toast the peppercorns, mustard seeds and coriander seeds in a small dry pan, then smash with the side of a knife just to crack them.
Combine the cracked spiced with the remaining ingredients, mixing well. Store in a tightly sealed plastic container or glass jar.

** Pink salt is a curing salt and sold under different names (tinted cure mix or T.C.M., DQ Curing salt and Insta Cure #1). No matter the name it is all the same: 93.75% salt and 6.25% nitrite. Nitrite does a few things to meat: it changes the flavor, preserves the meat’s red color, prevents fat from going rancid and prevents bacteria from growing. The Pink Salt is optional in this recipe.

Looks like we have the same recipe Leite's Culinaria Home made corned beef
Started mine on sunday, can not what for the 17th
Great idea on the Pastrami, have to try it out next time
let me know how yours truns out. I have a Bradey smoker and have been
doing trout,beef,pork. Now i'am going to do some hotdogs and summer sausage, beef & venison
Thanks for your post
CK:chowtime:

JwG
03-16-2012, 01:46 PM
Looks like we have the same recipe Leite's Culinaria Home made corned beef
Started mine on sunday, can not what for the 17th
Great idea on the Pastrami, have to try it out next time
let me know how yours truns out. I have a Bradey smoker and have been
doing trout,beef,pork. Now i'am going to do some hotdogs and summer sausage, beef & venison
Thanks for your post
CK:chowtime:
Hey CK,

All right a fellow smoker!!

Yeah, my recipe came from; Charcuterie, Ruhlman & Polcyn.
The wife gave it to me for my birthday, great book.

I hope to have pics of the Corned Beef and Pastrami up early next week.
Post up your Corned Beef results on my thread if you wish.

How do you like the Bradley Smoker? Did you order yours direct from Canada or buy it some place local?

Please post the action on your 'dogs & sausages when you do them with a new thread. Cool. http://www.fishsniffer.com/images/icons/icon6.png

:runningdog:

CATKILLER
03-16-2012, 06:37 PM
I picked up the smoker from Amazon but found it cheaper on the web about $80.00 my lost.
It works fine and is some what easy the reg. tem. from 100 to 275. I got the 4 shelf with basic feeder for
the wood. Had a problem with it after 6 mon's and called Bradey's and they sent out enough parts
to make a new smoker and said to keep all the old parts (witch were all good but 1) i could build a smoker
if i had a old frig.
Will send pics of the corned beef next week
Good luck with yours
CK :)

JwG
03-17-2012, 07:24 PM
Well here is the Corned Beef.

After five days in the brine and three hours cooking in the Dutch oven it came out so flavorful and moist.

It was served with cabbage, potatoes, carrots, onion and turnip.

http://www.fishsniffer.com/members/jwg-albums-cookin-03-17-12-picture9783-imag0001.jpg

The condiments were Horseradish Cream and Guinness Mustard.

Horseradish Cream

1 cup sour cream
6 tablespoons (4 oz.) prepared white horseradish
1 tablespoon finely chopped dill pickle (Homemade)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives (Homegrown)

Whisk all ingredients in a small bowl to blend. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.

Guinness Mustard

½ cup coarse-grained Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons regular Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons Guinness stout or other stout or porter
1 tablespoon minced shallot
1 teaspoon golden brown sugar

Whisk all ingredients in a small bowl to blend. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.

:beer_2:

Marv
03-18-2012, 04:39 AM
Dang it JwG, you just made me lick the screen, lol. Looks killer!!!

Steve079
03-18-2012, 07:09 PM
Sure does look good, I'm going to give that a try. How do you seal up a bag of brine and meat, and seal it with a food saver? I have trouble sealing fish if its not bone dry? I don't see how you pull the air out without getting the liquid, unless you are just heat sealing the bag, with no vacuum?

JwG
03-19-2012, 07:37 AM
Sure does look good, I'm going to give that a try. How do you seal up a bag of brine and meat, and seal it with a food saver? I have trouble sealing fish if its not bone dry? I don't see how you pull the air out without getting the liquid, unless you are just heat sealing the bag, with no vacuum?

Hey Steve079,

Yes, I use the seal only technique.

It is a two person operation. I fill the pouch with the food and liquid almost to the top, then position over the machine and push the liquid right to the end eliminating as much air as I can without pushing copious amounts of liquid out. Then my wife clamps the machine down and hits the SEAL only button. There can be a little amount of liquid in the overflow tray, but I just clean it out when I am finished.

This might seem difficult, but this allows me to place the sealed bag in the refrigerator on the flat, on a shelf. My refrigerator is usually so full I don’t have the room for a large container for brining to take up that much space for five days or more. But, just placing the meat in a non-reactive container and weighing it down so that it stays covered in liquid for the required time works also.

CATKILLER
03-19-2012, 07:40 AM

Steve it will work with no vacuum just push all the air out you can keeping the
bag lower then the sealer. A little air will not hurt it. On fish and meat i folded up
a paper towel the size of the bag. like 1"x 8" or 1"x 11" and put in the bag just
below the seal line. The liquid will soak up in the towel when the vacuum come's on.
Hope this help's
CK

CATKILLER
03-19-2012, 05:06 PM
Here is a pic. of the corned beef i made sat. with the same recipe as JwG he sure picked a good one.9798

Steve079
03-19-2012, 08:18 PM
thanks for the help...and that meat looks awesome! I can not wait to give that a go! I have to do one for Pastrami, something new for my old barrel to smoke up. This is an awesome thread, if I were a moderator, it would become a sticky.

JwG
03-20-2012, 03:27 AM
Wow CK,

I think yours came out better than mine.

Great job.:appledancing:

I HAVE got to go eat now. LOL