PDA

View Full Version : Squid for Halibut

dark_knight
02-28-2007, 03:58 PM
I am pretty new to Charter boats and Halibut Fishing, but I have some questions. is it ethical to use another bait if nothings biting. Theirs times when Im on one of these boats and nothing seems to bite, I was thinking about bringing some squid along next time to try something diffrent. But I know this may cause problems because squid can attrach sharks which are not always welcome. So is this proper ettiquette.

sethonious
02-28-2007, 04:06 PM
Ask the captain before making any decisions. It is the captains boat and you are just visiting.

keciga1
02-28-2007, 06:25 PM
Most of the trips where you target halibut are potluck trips and there are sharks caught, but I would still ask if it's ok. Or you can bring it with you and ask the captain himself if you're going through a landing like Emeryville or Berkeley. The worse thing that can happen is that the captain will say no.

Ivan

triggerfish
02-28-2007, 06:39 PM
When I useto fish the partyboats down south you could use anything that you wanted,but unless you had enough for the whole boat,any fish caught was disquaified from the jackpot. and yes halibut love squid,espically LIVE squid!

dark_knight
03-02-2007, 09:13 AM
I normally fish on the Fury with Captain Frank. does anybody know anything, i plan on calling before I do it in may, but I am curious if anybody has ever done this with him. btw is Barney still the deckhand.

gmdcdvm
03-02-2007, 07:35 PM
Haven't done it up here before. I have used live squid down south, and it does work.
Call them up and ask before you go out.

I fish out of emmeryville quite a bit. I like using flashers or dodgers, but since this can cause a lot more tangles I always ask first before I do anything different. Most of the time I don't think they'll care as long as you don't affect the other people on board.

As for sharks they tend to catch them while halibut fishing with live anchovies so I don't think that would necessarily be a valid arguement against using your squid. If you do want to use frozen squid and the boat is moving/drifting fast enough you might want to use a dodger to give it some movement.

Gerry