PDA

View Full Version : 25 footers coming in

tarbuckle
02-24-2007, 07:19 PM
From NOAA :

COASTAL HAZARD MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE EUREKA CA
322 PM PST SAT FEB 24 2007

...HIGH SURF EXPECTED ACROSS NORTHWEST CALIFORNIA ON SUNDAY..

.LARGE WEST TO NORTHWEST SWELL IS EXPECTED ALONG THE NORTHWEST
COAST OF CALIFORNIA ON SUNDAY. THE LATEST WAVE MODEL DATA
SUGGESTS A PEAK SEA HEIGHT AROUND 25 FEET. THIS LARGE SWELL IS
EXPECTED TO ARRIVE ALONG THE DEL NORTE AND HUMBOLDT COASTLINE AFTER
SUNRISE ON SUNDAY...PEAKING IN THE MID 20S DURING THE AFTERNOON.
THE SWELL WILL PROPOGATE SOUTHWARD ALONG THE MENDOCINO COASTLINE
SUNDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING...BUT EXPECTED TO REMAIN BELOW THE
WARNING CRITERIA OF 24 FEET.

CAZ001-260015-
/O.UPG.KEKA.SU.Y.0002.070225T1400Z-070226T1400Z/
/O.NEW.KEKA.SU.W.0001.070225T1400Z-070226T0200Z/
REDWOOD COAST-
322 PM PST SAT FEB 24 2007

...HIGH SURF WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM TO 6 PM PST SUNDAY..

THE HIGH SURF ADVISORY HAS BEEN UPGRADED FOR THE REDWOOD COAST.
WEST TO NORTHWEST SWELL IN THE 23 TO 27 FOOT RANGE IS EXPECTED
ALONG THE REDWOOD COAST BETWEEN NOON AND 6PM SUNDAY.

A HIGH SURF ADVISORY MEANS THAT HIGH SURF WILL AFFECT BEACHES IN
THE ADVISORY AREA...PRODUCING LETHAL RIP CURRENTS AND LOCALIZED
BEACH EROSION.

A HIGH SURF WARNING INDICATES THAT DANGEROUS...BATTERING WAVE
WILL POUND THE SHORELINE. THIS WILL RESULT IN VERY DANGEROUS
SWIMMING CONDITIONS...AND DEADLY RIP CURRENTS.

The_Talis
02-25-2007, 12:09 PM
I'm going out to the north jetty today to check out the swells. Should get some sweet pictures.

tarbuckle
02-25-2007, 12:58 PM
Beat ya to it ;D I was their an hour ago. Pretty impressive

tarbuckle
02-25-2007, 01:50 PM
Pic doesn't do it justice :-[

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/9297/dscf0247ia2.jpg

The_Talis
02-25-2007, 01:56 PM
OH YEAH! I'm looking forward to this.

metalmouth
02-25-2007, 03:06 PM
More pics please! ;D :o

FinshingSW
02-25-2007, 04:13 PM
I used to work at KVIQ back when there was the local news wars in the late 90's, and miss taking weather video when the swell got big like that, too bad it looks so messy, those clean lines coming in and breaking at stinky's are just insane, and almost ask you to get in and surf the channel.

Rusty_Hooks
02-25-2007, 05:32 PM
I used to love it when the break line was right at the top of the jetty.....

Or just above :o ::)

Thats one of the best spots in the county for all day pics ;)

if Im not mistaken you can see the swell above the south jetty out to the right 8-)

tarbuckle
02-25-2007, 05:49 PM
FinshingSw, It was pretty messy :(

Rusty, Your right. You can see see the waves over the top of the south Jetty. I noticed that when I posted

Metal Mouth, My other pics are bad :(

Hopefully Talis will post some better ones

tarbuckle
02-26-2007, 08:47 AM
Here's a couple guys who played a little too close at the North Jettie yesterday:

http://www.eurekareporter.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?ArticleID=20980

The_Talis
02-26-2007, 01:46 PM
Here's a couple guys who played a little too close at the North Jettie yesterday:

LOL...turns out that was me and my roommate. That's my roomate in the pictures, I was already on my way to the hospital. Overall I'm okay, except for 14 stitches in my head, a black eye, and tons of cuts and bruises. We both suffered mild concussions too, I can only remember when I was being swept off the jetty walkway and then all of a sudden I'm being walked off the jetty.

Yeah, we're full of very, very stupid ideas. We DID have some really cool pictures, but the ocean decided to take the camera and spare the both of us.

timetofish
02-26-2007, 01:50 PM

LOL...turns out that was me and my roommate. *That's my roomate in the pictures, I was already on my way to the hospital. *Overall I'm okay, except for 14 stitches in my head, a black eye, and tons of cuts and bruises. *We both suffered mild concussions too, I can only remember when I was being swept off the jetty walkway and then all of a sudden I'm being walked off the jetty.

Yeah, we're full of very, very stupid ideas. *We DID have some really cool pictures, but the ocean decided to take the camera and spare the both of us.

You can't be serious?! *:o :-?

metalmouth
02-26-2007, 01:51 PM
Wow, I'm glad you survived. I guess you were getting some pics! :o
I hope you recover well.

MM

tarbuckle
02-26-2007, 02:05 PM
HOLY SH!T !!!!!! You guys are very lucky to be alive. When you didn't post last night it crossed my mind that it could have been you but then I though Naw !!

fishing brian
02-26-2007, 02:40 PM
Thats Crazy. Glad to hear your Ok. Its weird because you can sense the excitement at the begining of this thread then you read tho posts and never expect the person who was giong to get the pics your waiting for actually got swept away by the very thing your waiting to see??? well I guess that was the wave of the day. Didnt get a pic of that one. Bigger b*lls than my thats for sure.-LUNKER-

striper_assasin
02-26-2007, 02:49 PM
:o

aintscared
02-26-2007, 08:09 PM
This has got to be one of the most interesting post I've ever read :o, that jetty is not one to be screwing with when the ocean is Nar Nar.. I just got back from Bodega and the jetty there is protected from the north swell and the small waves where breaking over it at low tide.... Looking out toward Bodega rock and the head it was a wall of water and I see where they get the name High Sea's.. ::) your lucky to be alive and your also lucky none of the rescue guys ended up dead trying to save your dumb butts !!!!

Rusty_Hooks
02-27-2007, 07:15 PM
Over the years lots of folks have been washed off both the North and especially the South jetty.

in the 70's a father and both of his young kids were washed off, they all drowned and shortly after that, a car was washed off.

Those are serious waves...and the ends of the jettys are exposed to the open sea.

fishing boats coming in through them will try and get in a trough and stay there until they get into the bay....it's almost as trecherous as the mouth of the Columbia.

You two are truly lucky to be with us......

somebody was on your shoulder ;)

The_Talis
02-27-2007, 09:47 PM
Thanks to everyone for their support! My roommate and I are recovering well. Apparently we're the Flavor Of The Month in Humboldt County, everyone's heard about us. They also keep telling us we're VERY lucky to be alive, and I believe them. I've heard too many horror stories about people being washed off those jetties to their deaths.

BTW, if anyone from PFIC posts here, this is Clayman (I couldn't use that name here for some reason...huh). Take care everyone, and avoid those nasty seas!

Jan_from_Humboldt
02-28-2007, 01:35 AM
Both of you are damn lucky to be alive.

Three additional things are required of you now...

1. Go to church this Sunday and give sincere thanks you are still here as you came darned close.

2. You and your roommate need to ransack Eureka and buy those two Coasties the biggest juciest steaks in Humboldt County and a case or bottle of thier favorite beverage and cook them. *

They saved your lives and you owe them big time. *Your poor choice of where to watch the big waves put thier lives in serious danger while keeping you from being crab food.

3. You owe Davey Jones and Neptune something as thanks for not taking you.

I'm sorry that I don't sound more sympathetic to your near miss but it was a real dumb thing to do and when you place other peoples lives in danger you don't deserve symathy.

somebody
02-28-2007, 04:34 AM
i am in complete agreement with jan from humbolt. what scares me is they are young and going to pass on their genes . you better reward those rescue people. nothing else needs said except maybe you should polish their personnel cars for a year and mow their lawns.

tarbuckle
02-28-2007, 07:52 AM
Thanks to everyone for their support! My roommate and I are recovering well. Apparently we're the Flavor Of The Month in Humboldt County, everyone's heard about us. They also keep telling us we're VERY lucky to be alive, and I believe them. I've heard too many horror stories about people being washed off those jetties to their deaths.

BTW, if anyone from PFIC posts here, this is Clayman (I couldn't use that name here for some reason...huh). Take care everyone, and avoid those nasty seas!

Good thing SwampDonkey decided not to go. You know he would have been dead ;D

Jan_from_Humboldt
02-28-2007, 08:51 AM
i am in complete agreement with jan from humbolt. *what scares me is they are young and going to pass on their genes . *you better reward those rescue people. *nothing else needs said except maybe you should polish their personnel cars for a year and mow their lawns. *

I was going to discuss the Darwin award honorable mention thing and the great attempt at removing ones genes from the pool but I figgured someone else would catch it for me. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

High fiver commin your way SMACK!

fishhogg
02-28-2007, 11:09 AM
At least he got a helicopter ride out of the deal ;D

Toxic_Waste
02-28-2007, 11:54 AM
Glad to hear the guys are gonna be OK.....and yeah, the two Coasties should get a memorable thank-you, somehow.

swampdonkey
02-28-2007, 04:56 PM
Thanks to everyone for their support! *My roommate and I are recovering well. *Apparently we're the Flavor Of The Month in Humboldt County, everyone's heard about us. *They also keep telling us we're VERY lucky to be alive, and I believe them. *I've heard too many horror stories about people being washed off those jetties to their deaths.

BTW, if anyone from PFIC posts here, this is Clayman (I couldn't use that name here for some reason...huh). *Take care everyone, and avoid those nasty seas!

that hurts my feelings >:( btw, have you got a new phone yet talis? how does it feel being the poster child of dumb in humboldt?

tarbuckle
02-28-2007, 05:51 PM

that hurts my feelings >:( btw, have you got a new phone yet talis? how does it feel being the poster child of dumb in humboldt?

;D

swampdonkey
03-01-2007, 01:32 AM
dont laugh mr. tar you know it should have been us as far as statistics go! ;) seriously though, the wife for the first time told me "you'd better be carefull!" the bay was calm today, but MUD. i blame talis! perch as soon as it clears up, or the "shoulda been here yesterday" mad river? :-/

The_Talis
03-01-2007, 09:28 AM
dont laugh mr. tar you know it should have been us as far as statistics go! ;) seriously though, the wife for the first time told me "you'd better be carefull!" the bay was calm today, but MUD. *i blame talis! *perch as soon as it clears up, or the "shoulda been here yesterday" mad river? *:-/
Perch as soon as it clears up. I'm done dealing with the Mad this year. No new phone yet, you'll just have to wait.

Actually, being the poster child for dumb in Humboldt isn't as bad as you'd think. Everyone's really nice...(or maybe they're just PRETENDING to be nice!).

My roommate and I are going to go thank those Coast Guard guys on Saturday, we already thanked the chopper pilots, now we just need to thank the ground crew!

office_pirate79
03-01-2007, 11:55 AM
Hey Talis...I'm truly glad you guys are ok. We've all left our better judgement at home a time or two. With me, it was doing close to 140 mph down the 5 in shorts and a t-shirt on my buddy's new bike. I still get the shakes when I think about it.

Any way, I was talking to my mom last night, who lives in Ferndale, and she randomly started telling me about two guys got the boot off the north jetty. I said "Ma, you won't believe this..." and I told her all about this thread. It was funny in a twisted sort of way ;D.

Know_Excuses
03-01-2007, 08:47 PM
Hey Talis...I'm truly glad you guys are ok. *We've all left our better judgement at home a time or two. *.

Oh man, well over a time or 2 ;D ;D Amen to that!