PDA

View Full Version : what  type of shark is this

greggywhat
02-22-2007, 09:55 PM
what type of shark is this is it just a sand shark it was 75inchs from head to tip of tail and it had sorta long tail on it caught it on a live perch and i never seen a shark jump it was jumping clear out of the water thanks
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/gcomer/Picture195.jpg

MB_Kevin
02-22-2007, 09:57 PM
I think it is a 7 gill. that is a good catch ;)

panfish_popper
02-22-2007, 10:00 PM
Yup, thats a 7-gill. They jump out of water quite often actually.

greggywhat
02-22-2007, 10:06 PM
that was from last sept my camera is wrong ive got like 5 of these guys my biggest being 89inchs 100+ all at berkeley with a ballon and a live perch let me see if i can find some better pictures and one of the big guy

Uncle_Sam
02-23-2007, 12:00 AM
It's pitch dark. The fish is dead. It's eyes are glowing in the dark. That is a really spooky picture.

How do you prepare this fish for the table?

keciga1
02-23-2007, 02:50 AM
You got yourself a 7gill. It is not uncomon for them to grow over 150lb. Have you been catching them recently? There was a thread way back where a bunch of sniffers were interested in catching them but didn't know the proper technique.

Ivan

MoMoney
02-23-2007, 05:43 AM
Those sevengills are good eating.Bleed em by cutting the gills and then gutem after there dead.Put in ice chest.Fillet them and you can fry or my favorite bbq with a little garlic butter in foil then once they firm up I put them directly on the grill.We catch them every year while leapord fishing but I have yet to get one over 50inches!!Maybe this year!!

Farrier_Frank
02-23-2007, 06:16 AM
I've never caught one, either. Actually I've never even seen a 7 gill shark, but looking at the picture all I could count was 5 gills. Am I not seeing 7 gills? Or is this one of those fish named buy a guy who couldn't count?

mike22ca
02-23-2007, 09:20 AM
Awesome shark, sevengill indeed. We catch them all the time too while leopard fishing, but they are always small ones. Maybe we need to be using larger baits and fishing in the deeper part of the channel more?

kromebrite
02-23-2007, 09:30 AM
greggywhat, you have accidently(?) put a whole new twist on catching big 7 gills. The style you are describing is very novel. I suspect you will get alot of PM's wanting info on your technique and spot.

Out of curiousity, were you targeting halibut/striper when you hooked into these monsters?

ric1ric
02-23-2007, 09:35 AM
So when you say you caught it with a balloon and live perch. How far under the balloon was the bait. I have never heard of someone fishing the surface for them in the bay. But by your reports it seems like I should look into it.

greggywhat
02-23-2007, 10:18 AM
i was trying to catch those late butts last year but didnt caught 3 big sharks all i do is ballon 7 to 10 foot leader with a 1oz sinker on the bottom dragging and those things dont tap tap they come hit and then come back and eat it and run i hooked one at fortbaker i couldnt stop it ran and ran and then broke my leader

dandeuce
02-23-2007, 12:57 PM
The one and only one we ever caught was on my 16' aluminum boat fishing halibut in Tomales bay . My son hooked it on a slow drifted mackeral ( small ) , what a beast , probably close to 9' long and the girth was real near 2' . Got him to the boat and could not gaff him , the gaff was too small , could not get it to bite into him/her , After a few minutes of trying to land this thing it got real pissed and rolled the line up and broke off . Probably just as well , damn thing had some good size teeth , if he had been drug into the boat things may have gotten ugly . Decided then to release any over around 6' and just take a picture . I've got a 120 qt. ice chest and we would have had to buy another one to accomodate that much shark meat !

Any one know if it is legal to dispatch a shark with a bullet , thinking that would really help in landing any shark bigger than a large leopard . My little .38 with some +P+ may be in my tackle box next trip .

FF_MYRL
02-23-2007, 02:33 PM
Couple of the many ways to kill the shark is to stick a knife through the spinal cord just behind the head, or tail hook them and drag them backwards through the water.

ZACK
02-23-2007, 04:33 PM
The one and only one we ever caught was on my 16' aluminum boat fishing halibut in Tomales bay . My son hooked it on a slow drifted mackeral ( small ) , what a beast , probably close to 9' long and the girth was real near 2' . Got him to the boat and could not gaff him , the gaff was too small , could not get it to bite into him/her , After a few minutes of trying to land this thing it got real pissed and rolled the line up and broke off . Probably just as well , damn thing had some good size teeth , if he had been drug into the boat things may have gotten ugly . Decided then to release any over around 6' and just take a picture . I've got a 120 qt. ice chest and we would have had to buy another one to accomodate that much shark meat !

Any one know if it is legal to dispatch a shark with a bullet , thinking that would really help in landing any shark bigger than a large leopard . My little .38 with some +P+ may be in my tackle box next trip .

No man,
you can't use a fire arm to land a fish in California. Every year out in the bay while fishing Halibut with live bait I get something that hits and runs like the devil that eventually chews through my 30 lb shock mono leader right above the hook that I always wish I could catch. I always assume it is a big shark and not a boo boo leopard, etc. I have always been tempted to rig something up that can not be bit through but for the life of my I can't think of anything that would work that would be invisible and fairly limp so it does not interfere with the action of my live bait???

Berkeley pier is sitting in around 9 to 11 feet of water depending on the tide and I am surprised that those seven gills get up there since I have always heard you fish for them in deep water with a lot of current. I have heard of others catching them from the pier though. Cool fish. I have never caught one but one day I will make a trip of it. ZACK!

mike22ca
02-23-2007, 07:29 PM
If you happen to get a large shark, just throw a noose around the tail and drag it backwards.

Last year while me and Joe (Tattoofish) were fishing leopard sharks really heavy I hooked something LARGE on my salmon rig. Needless to say it wouldnt stop for nuthin and it eventually broke me off I believe. The run it made was unbelievable, just didnt stop. Now I use my sturg rig when fishin heavy in the bay now with braid and a hefty leader.

kromebrite
02-23-2007, 08:27 PM
The same thing happened to me at the Alameda rockwall. 30# line but snapped(cut?) like it was a warm knife through butter. This was no small takedown , either. Tip in the water type takedown, and I had a hard time getting it out of the rod holder.
I'm still doing 12# for the sharks this year. We'll see what happens ;D

greggywhat
02-23-2007, 09:31 PM
i was fishing Alameda rockwall and got spooled 2 times in a row using salmon roe and i had 80lb braid and like 400 yards it never stoped felt like i had a boat on the other end

foggy
02-24-2007, 08:30 AM
What type of set up do you like to use while shark fishing in the bay?

greggywhat
02-24-2007, 10:07 AM
when i fish for sharks i use perch when i think the big ones are in there and squid and salmon roe seems like everything likes roe in the bay make sure you use atleast 12inchs of steelleader or u wont catch any big ones

ZACK
02-24-2007, 10:10 AM
The same thing happened to me at the Alameda rockwall. 30# line but snapped(cut?) like it was a warm knife through butter. This was no small takedown , either. Tip in the water type takedown, and I had a hard time getting it out of the rod holder.
I'm still doing 12# for the sharks this year. We'll see what happens ;D

12 LB is an excellent choice. You make a good point about "if you can use that lb test to catch 20 plus lb salmon you should be able to fish it in the bay. That is how I came to lighten up too. I was fishing up in the Trinity River in Lewiston for salmon with 8 lb test throwing dime size chunks of roe and nailing salmon at the poker bar hole when on the following weekend I was out in my boat on the bay fishing butts and told my friends (who were all using 16 lb test) that I was going to use the same set up (7ft. glass rod, with a quantum 1310 bait caster loaded with 8lb test). They all laughed and thought I was nuts. I slaughtered the bay that day landing a bit of everything from a 20 pound-ish butt, to hitting a large school of schooly stripers from 6 to 12 lbs followed by a 4 foot leopard off of Treasure Island. No problem with any of it using the 8lb mono. Fast forward 12 years and I have been fishing 10 lb braid out there without any problems and enjoy the extra sensitivity and being able to use lighter weights. Not to mention my pole and reel are soo light (weighing only ounces) I can hold it in my hand for hours if I choose and it doesn't feel like I am holding a thing. When fighting a fish it almost feels like my set up is really an extension of my arm.
If you are fishing sharks I would imagine a wire leader would be a good choice though. I see many here mention getting snapped off. Were you chewed off, or did YOU snap the line? “Fish don't snap line”. “Fish don't break poles”. “People do”. Getting spooled from land is unavoidable but on a boat it's a rook maneuver. Next time either pull, or toss the anchor, fire up the boat and chase that sucker when you get too far down your line capacity. Fish also have a harder time giving you the business if you are almost over them.

All of thee above I too hold myself to and on occasion still make manage to make a rookie mistake every now and again. ;D

ZACK! 8-)

65whaler
02-24-2007, 03:32 PM
a word of caution: that seven gill looks to me that it may be a brown smoothnose, very common in sf and tomales bay and they get pretty big also. since it is not recommended that people eat the smoothnose anymore thanks to the mercury leeching out of ancient marshall creek gold and silver mines, take the time to learn the difference. based on the horror stories my park ranger neighbor told me about the mercury levels in tomales bay, the only bottom feeders i eat anymore from tomales are halibut.

kromebrite
02-24-2007, 04:09 PM
In terms of shark(leopard is my thing) I have been using 30# mono, with a 50# mono leader and a 5/0 octopus hook.
As I've posted, I am now convinced this is overkill and I am ripping myself off of a much more enjoyable fight.
This year will be 12# mono as a main line, a 20# mono leader and a 5/0 octopus hook. I may go bigger with the hooks. I've used up to 10/0 and they hang themselves pretty good on it.
Eventually I may do the braid switch.
1/2 a sardine seems to work well. The midshipmen is a leoprad shark classic. Squid will do it as well but those rays are all over it. They were fun for the first dozen, but now I'll only try for a ray if I'm hard up for a thumb-burn.
It's been said that with seven gill you have to fish very deep water and use wire line. That's why I posted that you, greggywhat, have put a new spin on it.

MB_Kevin
02-25-2007, 08:38 PM
We have gotten a few of these under 3' from shore and piers.

How do they fight. Do they jam all over the place or swim in a straight line? I hooked into something on day on a pier and it went crazy. bent my rod almost took it into the water. then swam left really fast. then to the front of the pier and then under it. All I could do was hold on until it snapped my 50# test. I could tell it was not a ray because they don't move directions that fast...it was really fast!!!! maybe that is what it was :-/

ZACK
02-26-2007, 10:04 AM
In terms of shark(leopard is my thing) I have been using 30# mono, with a 50# mono leader and a 5/0 octopus hook.
As I've posted, I am now convinced this is overkill and I am ripping myself off of a much more enjoyable fight.
This year will be 12# mono as a main line, a 20# mono leader and a 5/0 octopus hook. I may go bigger with the hooks. I've used up to 10/0 and they hang themselves pretty good on it.
Eventually I may do the braid switch.
1/2 a sardine seems to work well. The midshipmen is a leoprad shark classic. Squid will do it as well but those rays are all over it. They were fun for the first dozen, but now I'll only try for a ray if I'm hard up for a thumb-burn.
It's been said that with seven gill you have to fish very deep water and use wire line. That's why I posted that you, greggywhat, have put a new spin on it. *

(Assuming you are fishing from a boat) your new approach sounds good to me. The only little tweaks I would make is If you are specifically targeting sharks I would use a leader similar to what you would make for Sturgeon. A leopard wont chew threw a 30 lb mono leader but another larger specie will. Also I wouldn't go over 6/0 for hook size. Larger size hooks will just make setting the hook that much harder due to the larger diameter of the larger hooks, your limitation on how hard of a hookset you can give with lighter lines, etc. Basic laws of physics apply here.
No need to make things harder than they already are.

ZACK!

greggywhat
02-26-2007, 06:36 PM
7gills will cut through wire leaders you cant use mono or braid as leader i use 80lb wire with 7/0 and if you ever fish for 7 gilll dont jerk on the first bite thats always the biggest one then they come nibble on it i think they slap or hit it with some speed to kill it

Rock_Hopper
02-28-2007, 05:01 PM
Hey 65W - Just an FYI - Brown smoothounds don't get much bigger than 4'. The big sharks that look like brown smoothounds are most likely soupfins. Seemed to be a lot of soupfins and 7-gills caught last year. The picture that was linked is definitely a nice 7-gill that SHOULD NOT have been killed by an angler who could not identify it.

And I got a mystery fish story to add. Once in Tomales Bay, years ago when I just started fishing I hooked into something huge that pulled my buddy's 18' boat against the current for a little over a mile. I obviously had my drag way too tight and I wish I could have a shot at whatever it was today. I ended up snapping my line 'cause my drag was too tight and I didn't have the fish finessing skillz I have today. ;)

greggywhat
02-28-2007, 06:23 PM
lol that shark is the only one i ever kept cause it was going to die u dont release a fish to die it sucked down a 2 6/0 hooks and was bleeding and that gaff wasnt in the fish the rubber was on it lol i lower my net with my and 7 gills theres plenty of them i catch 3 big 7 gills to one leapard theres a spot where those 7 gills love fort baker use perch or smelt free spool them ballon them just dont throw your bait on the bottom never caught one like that berkeley they come in there in sept and oct i go there and catch one everynight i go

Rock_Hopper
02-28-2007, 06:49 PM
Not a personal attack against you greggywhat. It's just safer to release ANY fish if you don't know what it is. If a DFG warden catches you with an illegal fish they're not going to care whether or not it was gonna die anyway. What if there was a slot limit on 7-gills and that one was over it?

Just a lil sumthin' to think about.

shon42073
02-28-2007, 07:52 PM
Dude thats a really bad pic. cant tell what it is. Sevengills are really good eating, Ive takin a few around 5 feet in febuary when the herring are spawing. They taste like clams too me.

greggywhat
02-28-2007, 07:55 PM
lol i check those i couldnt tell what type of shark that one was cause he looked different to the other ones i caught i new it was a legal fish what sharks have a size limit come on and i dont throw little bait soo im not catching a under sized fish

FinshingSW
02-28-2007, 08:04 PM
Don't trip, these guys seem to be gattin at you!!

Shark is hella good, but only once in a shile, to keep your hair from glowing.

greggywhat
02-28-2007, 08:46 PM
there just mad cause they cant catch 7 gills wait tell i get my scanner working soo i can post up the big one

FinshingSW
02-28-2007, 09:11 PM
shoot i been catching 7-gills of the pier, but they have only been those 24-36" great white wanna be's, never caught shark before, cuase i was living up in humboldt fishinhg for salmon, steel, and rock fish, those things scared the heck out of this tough guy.

Rock_Hopper
02-28-2007, 09:49 PM
there just mad cause they cant catch 7 gills wait tell i get my scanner working soo i can post up the big one

Man, some people just don't get it.