PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Rockfish Reg Note

donzitroller
02-23-2007, 09:05 AM
EXCEPTION: During the open season, groundfish may be possessed in closed areas and in water depths closed to fishing only aboard vessels in transit with no fishing gear in the water. See sub-section 27.20(b).

2007 Bottomfish Regs Summary (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/bfregs2007.html)

This question has come up if you can troll for salmon outside of 180' with rockfish in the boat. There it is, black and white.

sethonious
02-23-2007, 10:01 AM
So the "with no fishing gear in the water" statement I guess you have to troll for salmon before trying to get the rockies. Even though a trolling setup is very different from a rock fish setup its all gear.

Intimidator
02-23-2007, 12:04 PM
And then you would have to Rock fish with barbless hooks............

metalmouth
02-23-2007, 12:20 PM
It sounds like either way you are better off going back to the dock and dropping fish then trying to do both on the same trip out. :-?

Toxic_Waste
02-23-2007, 12:43 PM
It's getting to the point where sport fishermen are going to need to go to law school just to interpret and keep up with the ever-increasing and changing rockfish regulation mishmash. It's worse than trying to get through the lines at the airport! :-/

sethonious
02-23-2007, 02:46 PM
Fishing will ALWAYS be better than airport traveling!

GCinGV
02-24-2007, 09:08 AM
EXCEPTION: During the open season, groundfish may be possessed in closed areas and in water depths closed to fishing only aboard vessels in transit with no fishing gear in the water. See sub-section 27.20(b).

Donzi,
In past years you could transport Rockies through closed areas but you needed a special permit, so does this mean you no longer need the permit? Also does “no fishing gear in the water” mean you can’t troll?
Man they sure make it complicated.
Thanks Gary

Toxic_Waste
02-24-2007, 01:22 PM
I am not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to deciphering the legal mumbo jumbo of fishing regs, but I would have to say that to me, "no fishing gear in the water" means just that, no matter if it's a set-up for salmon trolling or dropping a line for groundfish. These days, you probably would get time in the slammer for accidentally dropping a cheap, red-and-white plastic bobber overboard!

A boat deckhand on a party boat said that Fish & Game can keep their eyes on you by watching from shore with binoculars (two watchers), thus calculating your location and estimated depth, etc....blah blah blah.

I understand the need for some reasonable rules and regulations in order to protect sensitive fisheries, but I hate feeling like I am a criminal on parole when out trying to have a fun day of fishing.

One day I was LEGALLY fishing on some rocks from shore, and a warden came along with a clipboard and spent like half an hour third-degreeing me about what I was doing. Even though I knew I wasn't doing anything wrong, I was still made to feel the hot breath of "big brother" down my shirt collar.

Salm-ON
02-24-2007, 03:34 PM
Thats some BULL. I hate that feeling of being watched. Especially when I am trying to relax and fish.

Uncle_Sam
02-24-2007, 08:50 PM
To Toxic_Waste:

You have the right to remain silent. This is the most valuable right you have because it is the only one you can enforce yourself. He can demand that you reel in you rig. However, he cannot demand that you talk to him. Just tell him that on the advice of counsel you are exercising your right to remain silent.

These game wardens are getting too big for their britches. They have quotas to fill. The law against quotas is for vehicle code violations only. These guys get promoted in part based on their "initiateds", i.e, busts when the person is not suspected of anything. We need to say no to them.

dbass
02-26-2007, 12:16 PM
I've been on the NSA, when we caught RC and then we fished for salmon, is it ok for PB to do this, and we can't? :-?

metalmouth
02-26-2007, 12:23 PM
Someone might correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that rule applies to party boats if they are out deeper than 180 as well.

triggerfish
02-27-2007, 09:11 PM
Someone might correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that rule applies to party boats if they are out deeper than 180 as well.
It applys to everyone! And I can garentee that Rick,on the NSA. was in less than 180ft. He's not one to bend any rules.

donzitroller
02-28-2007, 09:34 AM
GC, I believe the rule you refer to for the permit is if you transit through a closed zone on your way to fishing grounds. Say for instance you left Bodega to go fish for salmon in Ft. Bragg, I know, stupid, but it's strictly hypothetical here.. If you caught salmon in the open zone and had to return to port through waters where salmon fishing is closed you would still need the permit. That's my understanding anyways. An NO GEAR IN THE WATER. I don't know many skippers that would do something so blatant. (I've heard some stories about Alaska charters but that's here nor there..) If you've got rockfish in the boat and troll for salmon, you'd better be inside 180'. I would much rather fish for lings with barbless dab rig than be limited to 180' for salmon, especially early in the season when 300' or deeper is where the fish are.

The best way to relax even though Big Brother is watching is to know the regs and abide by them. Then you've got nothing to worry about. I know they can be hard to read, but this year's regs clarify an issue that was a "grey area" last year. I asked the fish checking girl at Bodega last year and she didn't know. Then I asked the boarding party warden and he said it was ok to be outside 180' if you had obvious salmon gear in the water. We had discussed this very issue at length with the regs in hand and after talking to the warden I still wasn't 100% convinced he was right. This year the regs are quite clear, so we know where we stand. Don't get cited for it. I know it's a seemingly pointless reg, but it's what we are given to work with in order to fish. Keeping yourself informed on saltwater regs is a challenge, but boards like this bring up confusing regs and address the grey areas.

You would be surprised how many times you hear people ask on the radio "what's the minimum size for lings?" and "what's the minimum size for salmon?" .. How can you be out fishing for them and NOT know? I carry a copy of the regs on the boat.. tickets for silvers and canaries are STEEP! Sometimes innocent mistakes are made, albeit via angler misunderstanding of the regs.. More often than not, you WILL be paying a fine in court. I think canaries went for like $1800 or somewhere thereabouts.. it's just not worth it, play it safe!

fishhogg
02-28-2007, 11:29 AM
if salmon are on board all r/f gear needs to be barbless, if r/c are on board cant "fish" no deeper than 180 ft, as far as traveling through different depths of water, no prob as long as there is no "intent" on catching one of the two species... Too many loop holes around this law, but as many of us know were "guilty until proven innocent"
Too many crooked fish cops ;D

fishhogg
02-28-2007, 11:34 AM
Oh an a reply to what donzi said, dont come out asking how to identify a silver on the ocean... during a wide open bite when silvers are mixed in, the fish cops are listening, with stupidity and lack of knowledge of fish and regs, guess who's presents are gonna be felt more???
The best one i heard last year was "what is the legal size limit of a silver"? Man oh man what r these guys thinking???

dbass
02-28-2007, 12:56 PM
Its clear, if you have salmon aboard, then no barbed gear aboard your vessel.

Rock_Hopper
02-28-2007, 03:09 PM
It applys to everyone! *And I can garentee that Rick,on the NSA. was in less than 180ft. He's not one to bend any rules.

No offense, but that's THE most ridiculous posting I have ever read on any fishing board.

fishhogg
02-28-2007, 07:36 PM
I would love to comment but i was told to be nice ;D

triggerfish
02-28-2007, 09:38 PM
It applys to everyone! *And I can garentee that Rick,on the NSA. was in less than 180ft. He's not one to bend any rules.

No offense, but that's THE most ridiculous posting I have ever read on any fishing board.

I am just saying,Having been made an example of... by over zellious dept.of fish and game,and DA's office. Rick is not going to do anything close to being in violation.

Rock_Hopper
02-28-2007, 09:47 PM
OK. I can understand that...lol. ;D