PDA

View Full Version : big chief smokers

legallimit
03-15-2012, 08:28 PM
can you control the temperature on a big chief?? and if you cant what temperature does it stay at from that element. and do you guys like your big chief. and one more tiny question,, ever smoke a shad??? just thought id throw that in there..

TOJIACK FLOATMAN
08-03-2012, 07:36 AM
No, there is no heat control on either the Big Cief or Little Chief smokers . As there is no temp gauge on either of them I am going to speculate a bit based on expierience and say on a day where the outside temp is near 80 dgrees the inside temp is near 150 degrees as you can still place your hand on the smoker and not get seared. In cooler weather where temps are under 60 degrees I recommend to make a cover for your smoker out of either heavy cardboard or 1/4 in. plywood appx. 1 inch wider and taller than the smoker you are usind with appx 1 dozen 1/8 in. holes in the top to retain heat but still vent to keep the chips burning. This also helps keep your smoking time more consistant to insure good end results. Keep a ledger with your smoker and document your smoker projects noting things such as the brine recepie used, how long was the marinating time, thickness and size and of the meat pieces used, type of chips used, how many pans of chips used, outside temp, box cover or no box cover and total smoking time. As the final step rate your end result noting things such as brine too strong or maybe to salty or spicy, too sweet etc., too smokey tasting or maybe not quite the right smokey taste you were looking for, too dry or too moist and so on. This allows you to reference back and do things such as reduce salt in a brine or increase or decrease brine time to kick flavor up or lighten up as desired, too dry or too moist to allow adjusting either thickness of the meat or smoker time, too smokey or not enough to increase or decrease number of pans of chips used and so on. With time you too can learn to master the fine art of smoking meats. Never under estimate the power of the smoker . The guys at my local auto repair shop are now like trained seals. I take them smoked fish and they give me nice breaks on auto repairs ( go figger ) .

Steve079
08-03-2012, 08:40 PM
The guys at my local auto repair shop are now like trained seals. I take them smoked fish and they give me nice breaks on auto repairs ( go figger ) .

Everybody loves smoked slammin!

iggybabble
08-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Some of the best fish to start off with are the ones you've got plenty of, or can catch regularly. Shad is related to Herring if I recall correctly,should be oily and rich, and should smoke well....Tojiack is 100+% correct!!!!! Keep a record of everything, especially when starting out or when trying a new recipe or fish

Jessgo33
08-21-2012, 07:11 PM
I got a little cheif smoker and i like it. I have only used it once to smoke a salmon. They have brines for them all ready made just add water. It dose say to and show a picture of the box it came in to cut some holes in it for the pan, and cord and put it over the smoker in cold temps. It comes with over 50 receipts to use. Ranging from cheese to jerky. For the price cant go wrong.

Jetspray
08-25-2012, 04:46 AM
There are many postings about blankets for them on various sites. As far as temperature control and keeping an eye on it, put a little money in a portable temp guage which stays in the smoker and you have a monitor you can carry around. The better one's have a long distance transmission and alarms and have probes for both the meat and interior temp. I have two of them personally and everytime I smoke or cook they work great. Temp thermometers on the smoker are OK but these step it up a notch......Jetspray

Cabela's: Remote Thermometer (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home-Cabin/Food-Processing/Smokers-Accessories%7C/pc/104798880/c/104723280/sc/104582880/Remote-Thermometer/713709.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2F_%2FN-1101300%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104798880&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104798880%3Bcat104582880)

Pintail
08-26-2012, 01:15 PM
Interesting. I did this today. Not a big cheif. I tried to build a barbque but it wouldn't get hot enough.

This runs about 160 to 180 degrees

http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/hh445/looserod/Smoking1-1.jpg

http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/hh445/looserod/smoking2.jpg

And yes that is fresh ocean run salmon

Shad does smoke well tastes great, BUT IT IS STILL BONEY. sorry to yell.
Great crab bait, probably got 30 lbs in the freezer waiting for November.

Jetspray
08-26-2012, 01:24 PM
Sweet looking rig Pintail, meat looks in great conditon. What is the wood chunks you are lining up on the rocks? I have to buy chips and chunks over here and store them........Jetspray

Pintail
08-26-2012, 03:46 PM
Sweet looking rig Pintail, meat looks in great conditon. What is the wood chunks you are lining up on the rocks? I have to buy chips and chunks over here and store them........Jetspray

Thank You

Those are Cherrywood. There is a very friendly orchard up here that has Cherry, Peach, Plum, Apple, etc. stacked up as cordwood. We are good enough with them that wheelbarrowsful(new word) are free.

Jetspray
08-26-2012, 06:09 PM
Thank You

Those are Cherrywood. There is a very friendly orchard up here that has Cherry, Peach, Plum, Apple, etc. stacked up as cordwood. We are good enough with them that wheelbarrowsful(new word) are free.

Not alot of orchards over here, some people who have fruit trees just don't know what to do with the wood other than burn it in their fireplaces. I have two smokers and a gas grill myself, but like I said wood is a little hard to find so I have to search for places that sell the bagged stuff and use that. I have found that the stainless smoker works best if I season the waterbowl with water from soaking the chips first and then adding aeromaticks (lemons, orange peels, mint etc etc) to that water. I put the chips in the smoker box and add the box after I bring the smoker to temp (it is a gas controlled unit). All in all it is a production of love in my case, family gatherings are somewhat busy........Jetspray

Seon
08-26-2012, 07:21 PM
Not a big nor little Chief smoker but does the job. I converted it to propane then added a thermometer that I can read and maintain the right temp. Problem is that I can't keep enough smoked Salmon around because my kids call to ask me to smoke 'em. But that's what family is all about isn't it? http://www.ifish.net/board/images/smilies/food.gif

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1600/687113/21259384/398502881.jpg

Jetspray
08-26-2012, 07:38 PM
Not a big nor little Chief smoker but does the job. I converted it to propane then added a thermometer that I can read and maintain the right temp. Problem is that I can't keep enough smoked Salmon around because my kids call to ask me to smoke 'em. But that's what family is all about isn't it? http://www.ifish.net/board/images/smilies/food.gif

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1600/687113/21259384/398502881.jpg

Now you are just making me slobber on my keyboard Seon........Jetspray