PDA

View Full Version : Humboldt Bay Perch'n - 2/24

HSUSteelie
02-24-2007, 02:39 PM
Well I was inspired earlier in the week to go check out the perch fishing in King Salmon so some friends and I went down there this morning.

We parked the trucks about 7:15 this morning and got fishing about 10 minutes later. We were using shrimp and I was messing around with some grubs on a drop shot rig.

At about 8:30 one of my friends hooks up with a nice 11 inch Redtail on shrimp and as soon as he got it to shore my roommate sets the hook on a smaller Redtail - about 9 inches. Needless to say we thought the bite was about to get hot but that was the extent of the action, I had another bite or two but nothing stuck.

It was a pleasant morning since the rain held off until noon, which was right about the time we sat down at Gill's for some breakfast. ;)

It is only going to get better as March comes and goes!!

tarbuckle
02-24-2007, 07:16 PM
Hate when that happens ;D I imagine they Bay is a little murkey right now with that rain we had on Thursday.
I'll probaly give it a go Tuesday.

HSUSteelie
02-24-2007, 08:22 PM
It wasn't to murky early in the day, but as the wind picked up and the tide swing got going the water got a little on the chocolate side.

The_Talis
02-25-2007, 12:12 PM
Did you guys fish by the power plant discharge or closer to the road? Last few times I've been out by the discharge have been very productive on pileperch, but so far only a few redtails have shown up. I'll probably wait out this nasty weather and hit it next weekend.

What can I say, I'm getting lazy ;D

tarbuckle
02-25-2007, 01:00 PM
Did you guys fish by the power plant discharge or closer to the road? *Last few times I've been out by the discharge have been very productive on pileperch, but so far only a few redtails have shown up. *I'll probably wait out this nasty weather and hit it next weekend.

What can I say, I'm getting lazy ;D

The discharge. You got it right on with your report. Although this last week even the pile perch have been scarce

HSUSteelie
02-25-2007, 03:14 PM
Yup we were by the discharge, hopefully the weather will settle down and the water will clear up. There was a few guys closer to the road but I never did see them land anything.

Good luck Talis if you go!!!

office_pirate79
02-26-2007, 09:24 AM
Right on HSU! I was looking forward to your report. I'm very happy you didn't get skunked :) We were a little closer to the road because our lazy butts didn't feel like walking ;D The action was pretty hot there as well. Maybe we'll try by the discharge next time and it'll be even better!

I hear ya though about things getting better as the months go on. Down here in SF, we'll have some banner days as May approaches. Last year, we were nailing black perch one after the other after the other with multiple doubles...all were in the 1-2lb range. It's all good times 8-)! I just wish that pile worms were more available up north. No biggie though, I'll just bring some from one of the many liquor/bait stores down here. I really want to try for some rock fish & cabezone (when in season). A while back we fished the north jetty on what was apparently a VERY unusual day. The sun was shining, the water was almost flat and a beautiful blue...it looked so dam fishy!