PDA

View Full Version : Sturgeon water conditions???

boxcall1
03-18-2012, 01:09 PM
I have a couple of questions about waters conditions and sturgeon fishing;
All these questions refer to the Sac from Colusa area up river.

After the rains we've had the last week or so do I want to wait until the river clears or is muddy ok?
Should I wait until the rivers levels come down some or does it matter?
Should I look for sturgeon in the deepest holes or where?
How important is bottom? Should I be fishing 'sandy/gravel' bottoms vs structured bottom?

Thanks for any help offered.

hook'em fisher
03-19-2012, 05:46 AM
I don't know about up there to much but in sac i like it when the water is muddy and not to high of a water be ause then you'll just get snag alot because your weight won't hold bottom.

GCinGV
03-19-2012, 08:15 AM
I would look for muddy or sandy bottom (Clam beds) rather then rocky. Unlike the Columbia system where Sturgeon feed much more on free-swimming fish, in the Sac system, which is almost all silty bottom, Clams are undoubtedly the primary food source for Sturgeon. I believe this is why our fish have a much blunter snout then the Columbia drainage fish from constantly plowing up the muddy bottom and also why they bite so different. Clams donít run very fast.
I like to fish flats right next to holes rather then in the holes themselves. My theory is that the hydraulic action that forms the holes also blows out all of the clam beds leaving a hard bottom. I believe it also partially exposes the beds and Clams around the leading edges of the hole, which attracts fish.

Eastbay21
03-19-2012, 10:18 AM
How long does usually it take for it to clear up a little and/or water to recede? Barring any more rain of course. My friends were there this past weekend and they said the water was very muddy and the current was super fast. They were using 12 ounces and wasnít reaching bottom. Thanks.