PDA

View Full Version : Stupid mackerel!

Toxic_Waste
02-16-2007, 12:14 PM
I don't like it when charter/party boat sanddab fishing trips are lumped in with mackerel. It appears to be a matter of locating the mackerel schools (which seem to be everywhere) and then trying to fish for sanddabs. Most people I know don't want any mackerel and then are left TRYING to get the hooks down to the bottom for dabs.

Of course, the pesky macks rarely let that happen, as you will have a full load of 'em way before you reach bottom. Aren't there sanddabs to be caught that aren't anywhere near a school of mackerel? I LOVE dabs but HATE macks! I wish somebody would come along and fish commercially for them, maybe for the fertilizer market. There are way too many. >:(

ric1ric
02-16-2007, 12:36 PM
Last year I took my trout rod out loaded up a sabki rig and had a ball with the macks 5 or 6 of them on a 4lb test is a kick. Sometimes it would take 5 min. or more to get them to the boat, and they were only 10 or 15 ft away when I would hookup.

triggerfish
02-16-2007, 12:42 PM
I can see it now 25 guys with 4#test with 125 macks all going in different directions! ;D

Toxic_Waste
02-16-2007, 01:26 PM
Oh, no doubt the lil suckers bite and fight, but for me, by the time I pay for the gas, the motel, the boat fees and meals, I want to go home with something I can cook and eat! (Tried it with mackerel...just don't like it and even the dogs and cats wouldn't go near it.) Will just use it for crab trap bait, unless I can avoid it altogether.

deep_sixx
02-16-2007, 02:09 PM
Hey Toxic Waste,
I sorta feel the same way about those macs, they always get in the way of my dab fishing. >:(
I would like to see Crab and Dab trips. The charter boat captains probably have some tricks to get the boat over the dab nests/hot spots. The majority of fisher persons want action and want to feel the tug of fish on, macs are easy to catch and several on your sabiki rig at one time fill the bill. But for me, I like the subtleness of the dab bite and art of tempting the larger ones to the hook and most of all the exceptional taste of dab flesh. And what else will rival the flavor of dab, Dungeness crab, that will make a feast for the most discriminating palate. 8-)

gmdcdvm
02-16-2007, 09:27 PM
Its funny becuase when I am down in San Diego visiting the family I go fishing on the local party boats. There macks are basically more of a nuisance or bait depending on their size. I'm with you, I don't like the taste either.

I know out of Emeryville they used to run Crab/Dab combos when rock fishing would close down. I don't think they have enough interest because they stopped offering them last year. Needless to say I was bummed since I love sand dabs as well. I don't know of anyone going after sands dabs in particular anymore. I would hate to go out and come back with nothing but a bunch of macks. I think part of the problem is the mild winter we have been having. Once the water cools down a bit more I think they'll be leaving for the south, and maybe then it wont be such a problem. You'll have to let me know since I'm dying to get out and get some dabs.

Gerry

Rusty_Hooks
02-16-2007, 10:08 PM
Fillet them, split the fillets down the center and freeze the strips for ling bait.... ;)

I don't know anyone that eats them :P

gmdcdvm
02-16-2007, 10:23 PM
I have some friends who are korean chinese, and phillipino and their families love macks.
I think they are big in some asian cultures, but maybe someone out there with a little more knowledge can tell us how to prepare them.
I used to talk to pier fishers in San Diego who would go home with buckets of them some days. For me they are too bloody and oily, but like everything else I'm sure its an acquired taste.
Gerry

fbanaria
02-16-2007, 10:52 PM
I used to go to a japanese restaurant along el camino real, san mateo. The owners had a lunch special then that was mackerel teriyaki. It was butterflied headless, with skin on, and deboned, salted, and grilled. Right at the time when it got cooked, they would brush both sides with teriyaki marinade. It tasted great!

The grilling of the mackerel and the sweetness of the teriyaki marinade took out the fishy taste. If you really want to take the fishy taste out, then do not eat the dark meat along the lateral lines.

Try it. It's good.

Happy Eating!

bluestar
02-17-2007, 08:23 AM
I have to second this opinion!

Mackerel is one of my favorite fish, precisely because I've tried it at Japanese restaurants. I suggest those who don't like it to try it at a Japanese restaurant just to double check whether they are preparing the fish correctly. Otherwise you risk missing out on a great fish.

The grill type is great, as is the sushi type where mackerel meat is pickled in vinegar then served with rice. The fish meat has raw texture but cooked flavor. Yum!

I used to go to a japanese restaurant along el camino real, san mateo. *The owners had a lunch special then that was mackerel teriyaki. *It was butterflied headless, with skin on, and deboned, salted, and grilled. *Right at the time when it got cooked, they would brush both sides with teriyaki marinade. *It tasted great!

The grilling of the mackerel and the sweetness of the teriyaki marinade took out the fishy taste. *If you really want to take the fishy taste out, then do not eat the dark meat along the lateral lines.

Try it. It's good.

Happy Eating!

ric1ric
02-17-2007, 09:27 AM
They like them in Scotland and Norway, at least thats what Jonny P and my Mother in law told me.

Toxic_Waste
02-17-2007, 10:34 AM
My grandfather was Swiss-Italian and he used to have an outdoor clay oven in which he'd often cook fresh mackerel. Not sure how they were prepared, but I don't think we ever ate anything (besides desserts) that was made without garlic.

I have caught and cooked fresh sardines, but I found that my taste preferences run in the direction of mild, white-fleshed fish, such as halibut, dabs, cod, rockfish, perch, etc. I would gladly keep every mackerel I catch if I knew there was somebody on the boat or dock I could give them to. But otherwise, I just can't risk ending up stuck with them.

As mentioned before, deep-sea fishing excursions are a somewhat expensive activity, even if you have your own boat (or perhaps I should say ESPECIALLY if you have your own boat!) :D

Because of the time and expense, I would prefer to be hauling up fish I can get excited about.

ric1ric
02-17-2007, 11:06 AM
I understand completely I wouldn't eat one, and I only catch them for Ling bait. I do have a lot of fun catching them though. Just thought I would mention some people do enjoy eating them.

bluestar
02-17-2007, 11:22 AM
My hunch is the party boat operators intentionally look for those spots to ensure customers at least catch something -- anything. Empty-handed anglers may feel they wasted all that money (not to mention the embarrassment facing family members awaiting fresh fish) and are less likely to return.

Toxic_Waste
02-17-2007, 11:47 AM
bluestar, I have said that very same thing. Better to let the anglers fill their gunny sacks with something, at least. Those are the times, however, when I feel more like I am being babysat and pacified than doing any actual fishing.

To me, dipping a line into a school of macks reminds me of when I was a kid and school or church carnivals had a "fishing booth." You gave them a ticket and they'd hand you a stick that had a string with a clothespin at the end of it, then you "fished" behind a curtain and somebody would clip a cheap prize to your line and give it a tug.

It also reminds me of a time over in a place called Frontier Village (no longer there) in San Jose, where you paid to go trout fishing in a pond. The fish were ravenous, so the instant your line hit the water there must have been at least 500 of them all trying to bite at once.

I am not against party or charter boats going after macks for the anglers who don't mind catching them, but I would like to see at least a few trips scheduled that were exclusively dabs...or more crab and dab trips. There MUST be some good dab fishing spots that are mackerel free.....somewhere...I think I am going to design and wear a "Mackerel-Free Zone" T-shirt!!!

bluestar
02-17-2007, 11:53 AM
http://www.flavorj.com/~skysea/sushi/saba.jpg

fbanaria
02-17-2007, 10:58 PM
Hey Bluestar,

That's right, that's a good pic of one of the most delicious sushi, saba! You are right, some of our fellow fishers are missing some good tasting fish prepared the right way.

Try saba, it's mackerel and it's good!

bluestar
02-18-2007, 01:32 AM
The funny (and fortunate) thing is, saba is one of the cheapest dish you can order at Japanese restaurants. Two pieces of saba sushi for around $2.50 -- dirt cheap by Japanese standard. >:(

Hey Bluestar,

That's right, that's a good pic of one of the most delicious sushi, saba! *You are right, some of our fellow fishers are missing some good tasting fish prepared the right way.

Try saba, it's mackerel and it's good!

TP
02-18-2007, 01:01 PM
My uncle was in the Navy down in San Diego and when we would go to visit we use to go deep sea fishing. We use to catch King Mackrel that were big. They were in the 20-24" range. We use to take them down to a friends house that was phillipino and he would hook us up with sticky rice and flaky fish. I like macks they taste good.

Smeja
02-18-2007, 10:44 PM
Last year I took my trout rod out loaded up a sabki rig and had a ball with the macks 5 or 6 of them on a 4lb test is a kick. Sometimes it would take 5 min. or more to get them to the boat, and they were only 10 or 15 ft away when I would hookup.

yep we had a blast catching them didnt we!!! we got limits in rockfish but is what made that trip was catching those macs!!! that was awesome!

I kept about 30 of them and had striper bait all season long!!! i've heard it CAN be great but never personally eaten any.

metalmouth
02-19-2007, 07:18 AM
Isn't Saba Spanish Mackerel!

drstressor
02-19-2007, 08:37 AM
Every time I've had saba at a sushi place it was Spanish mackerel (Sierra), which are very mild tasting mackerel. Those Pacific mackerel we get up here are nasty. I'll have to try the teriyaki thing though. That's a good way to prepare strong tasting fish.

TP
02-19-2007, 11:44 AM
Oh maybe the mackrell we were catching were large spanish type. Who knows I just know the ones we caught were fairly large.

JonnyP
02-20-2007, 07:48 PM
They like them in Scotland and Norway, at least thats what Jonny P and my Mother in law told me.

True, very true.

The key with Mackeral is to eat them fresh, they're basically a small tuna, although they're a little more oily.

Personally, I love them, I top, tail and gut them, put them on the BBQ them with some garlic, lemon juice and pepper and eat them fresh. The flesh just falls off the bones. Another way is to eat them like anchovies on toast :-)

They're also very, very good for you, but I do agree they're an acquired taste.

surf_fisher
02-20-2007, 10:36 PM
the mackeral you are refering to at the asian stores and japanese restaurants are frozen from either norway or canada. the macks from the frigid waters of norway are bigger, oily, and better. the ones caught here are smaller and leaner. I fried some up when I caught a few at pacifica last summer. they were ok. it all depends how you prepare them. when you order saba sushi at a restaurant, the saba is pickled. You can also try saba shioyaki.....grilled salted mackeral or saba teriyaki... or saba misoni...mackeral cooked in miso soup. some japanese terms... saba= mackeral..... aji=horse mackeral....sawara=spanish mackeral

hope this helps....

metalmouth
02-21-2007, 09:59 AM
saba teriyaki is my favorite! ;D

realdeal
02-22-2007, 04:36 PM
Can anyone recommend a good party boat for a crab and dab trip in the bay area or monterey? ::)

Toxic_Waste
02-22-2007, 05:05 PM
Randy's Fishing Trips out of Monterey have flatfish trips scheduled every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday from now, through March and only till Tuesday April 3 and Thursday April 5, then it is salmon season taking over.

They have pulled about 130 dungies outta their traps so far this year, and about 790 dabs, but I really don't know if they are combining the two activities. Their Web site is: http://www.randysfishingtrips.com so maybe you can e-mail them and ask about it.

I like that outfit. Real nice people and crew. And I've never seen them crowd too many people on board. The only problem this time of year, however (besides the unpredictable weather), is whether or not they get enough anglers to make a trip feasible.

I would love a crab'n'dab trip, too.

gmdcdvm
02-23-2007, 08:44 PM
You might want to check with some of the Santa Cruz boats as well. My last issue of WON said they were going out for dabs/macs, and sometimes crabs. Off the top of my head I don't remember which one.
Gerry