PDA

View Full Version : Dinner for tonight. Pastrami

JwG
03-20-2012, 11:51 AM
Pastrami

I smoked this puppy for six hours and steamed for three hours, WOW.
See below for all the details.
Close up pic at end of post.

http://www.fishsniffer.com/members/jwg-albums-cookin-03-19-12-picture9807-imag0014.jpg

Brine

1 ½ cups kosher salt
½ cup sugar
4 teaspoons pink salt **
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 tablespoons pickling spice (see below) *

1-5lb. beef brisket
2 tablespoons coriander seeds

1 tablespoons black peppercorns
Lightly toast the peppercorns and coriander seeds in a small dry pan..
In pot large enough to hold brisket, combine 1 gal. water with kosher salt, sugar, pink salt, garlic, and 2 tablespoons pickling spice. Bring to a simmer, stirring until salt & sugar are dissolved. Remove from heat & let cool to room temp., then refrigerate until chilled.

Place brisket in brine, weighted with a plate to keep it submerged; cover. I use my FoodSaver and seal.
Refrigerate for at least 3 days.

Remove brisket from brine and rinse thoroughly. Discard the brine.
Lightly toast the peppercorns and coriander seeds in a small dry pan. Combine and coarsely grind in a spice mill. Coat the beef evenly with the mixture.

I COLD smoked the beef in the kettle-smoker for 4 hours at 95 degrees F.
Wood used for smoke was peach, homegrown and aged three years. 4 inches x ½" dia. soaked in water for 45 minutes (cut into two 2" pieces).

I then HOT smoked for 2 more hours by adding more coals and raised the kettle-smoker temperature to 200 degrees F.
I cooked until the internal beef temperature reached 145 degrees F.

I removed the beef, let it rest, covered and refrigerated until the next day. I only did this because it was getting late, you can go right to the next step.

To prepare the pastrami for serving, preheat the oven to 275 degrees F. Place the beef on a rack in a roasting pan, bring water to a simmer and add to the pan about an inch deep. Cover and place in the oven and steam for 2 to 3 hours, until fork tender.

*Pickling Spice

2 tablespoons black peppercorns
2 tablespoons mustard seeds
2 tablespoons coriander seeds
2 tablespoons hot red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons allspice berries
1 tablespoon ground mace
2 small cinnamon sticks, crushed
2 to 4 bay leaves, crumbled
2 tablespoons whole cloves
1 tablespoon ground ginger

Lightly toast the peppercorns, mustard seeds and coriander seeds in a small dry pan, then smash with the side of a knife just to crack them.
Combine the cracked spiced with the remaining ingredients, mixing well. Store in a tightly sealed plastic container or glass jar.

** Pink salt is a curing salt and sold under different names (tinted cure mix or T.C.M., DQ Curing salt and Insta Cure #1). No matter the name it is all the same: 93.75% salt and 6.25% nitrite. Nitrite does a few things to meat: it changes the flavor, preserves the meat’s red color, prevents fat from going rancid and prevents bacteria from growing. The Pink Salt is a MUST if you Cold Smoke.

http://www.fishsniffer.com/members/jwg-albums-cookin-03-19-12-picture9806-imag0011.jpg 

RideNfish
03-20-2012, 12:12 PM
Damn it. Now I'm all hungry

CRABBY
03-20-2012, 02:11 PM
I'm on my way,got the boys fueling up the Lear right now,wait for me!!!!!:goodscout1jp:......

CATKILLER
03-20-2012, 05:28 PM
JwG You out did your self. Had to go to the deli for dinner

:oregonian_winesmile:oregonian_winesmile

Steve079
03-20-2012, 07:50 PM
Ohhhh. That is just not fair. Looks absolutely perfect. About all I can do right now is mix up the pickling spice and sniff it until I can get my brisket....

Delta_Rose
03-23-2012, 07:23 PM
Amazing- looks great, but that sure was a lot of work.

JwG
03-24-2012, 05:42 PM
Amazing- looks great, but that sure was a lot of work.
Thanks D_R for your post!!
I have seen some of your threads and know you are a serious smoker.:129fs238648:

You are right it was a lot of work. But it was my first time doing Pastrami and the next time is always easier. This turned out so good I would do 10 - 20 pounds at a time, slice, wrap and freeze in small packs for quick use.

I think also this is about smokin' my own and not so much the time equation. Just like tying your own flies, making and painting your custom lures or even smokin' a turkey. I can go buy one right now, but the satisfaction of doin' it yourself, custom is the driving force here for me.

I encourage anyone who wants to do this, DO. :feiertag-smiley-005

Thanks to everyone who posted here!!!

CATKILLER
03-25-2012, 05:18 AM
Thanks D_R for your post!!
I have seen some of your threads and know you are a serious smoker.:129fs238648:

You are right it was a lot of work. But it was my first time doing Pastrami and the next time is always easier. This turned out so good I would do 10 - 20 pounds at a time, slice, wrap and freeze in small packs for quick use.

I think also this is about smokin' my own and not so much the time equation. Just like tying your own flies, making and painting your custom lures or even smokin' a turkey. I can go buy one right now, but the satisfaction of doin' it yourself, custom is the driving force here for me.

I encourage anyone who wants to do this, DO. :feiertag-smiley-005

Thanks to everyone who posted here!!!

You could not said it any better JwG
CK :vrolijk_1:

Delta_Rose
03-25-2012, 04:38 PM
Yup- nothing like doing it yourself. I hot-smoked some quail that we shot at Quail Point this morning- simple one hour brine, home-made rub and 2 hours over applewood. They were okay, but not as good as the ones I smoked last weekend. Those I brined and then marinated in olive oil, garlic and fresh thyme and rosemary and smoked with apple wood. My wife made a delicious bird pie with those- home made crust, smoked quail, crumbled bacon, sauteed mushrooms, bechamel sauce and brie cheese- yum:thumbsup: