PDA

View Full Version : Any rockfish here? (satellite photo inside)

bluestar
02-17-2007, 11:46 AM
I have always taken boat out for rockfishing and I go as far down as Pescadero, which is a pain. *I'm trying to see if there is a convenient shore spot that offer a "quickie" rockfishing.

Last year I noticed there are crab pots dropped at the mouth of Pillar Pt harbour, right outside the jetty, at the "A" spot in the following photo. *I'm wondering if there is anything rock fish to be caught at that location?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/rhbj03/hmbSmall.jpg

Fish_R_Us
02-19-2007, 12:26 PM
There are cabezones, GRF's and MFE's all along the jetty, mostly on the seaward side. If you have ever been on that jetty, you will see that the jetty consists of alot of big boulder sized rocks, and there are alot of crevices and hiding places on both sides. It's a long hike to get to the tip. There's alot of surfperch in area "C" and alot of people, especially during the summer months. Alot of times, parking is a pain too. What about the north jetty, that's not part of the picture? That's the better place, in my opinion. Be careful on rough surf days. I've seen sneaker rollers that have crested over the entire jetty that had been previously dry before.

bluestar
02-20-2007, 05:29 PM
Cabezones are good enough for me. OK I'll give it a try when rockfish season opens and report back.

I focus on the south jetty only because I saw crap pots and fishermen on kayaks there so I know there is something to be caught there. The north jetty looks real dangerous indeed. I'm not even sure if there are public roads that lead to the north jetty...

Rock_Hopper
02-20-2007, 09:47 PM
Hard to tell from this pic, but on the 87th rock out (ocean side...by your letter B) it looks like there's a nice lingcod there. ;)

Fish_R_Us
02-21-2007, 03:24 PM
The north jetty parking lot is the Maverick's parking lot.