PDA

View Full Version : Friday 2/9/07 Squid Trip Report aboard NSA

gmdcdvm
02-10-2007, 07:59 PM
Hey guys,
Just wanted to post a quick report about our squid trip yesterday out of Bodega (better yet Blow-dega) Bay.
Brief report: New Sea Angler, left at 5am and back by 4pm.
Weather: Rain, drizzle, cold, winds, 8-10ft swells.
Squidding: early on it was scratch fishing with maybe 4 to 6 per stop. Got one stop where everyone got bent over and then the bite stopped. End of the day stop was WFO with squid coming over the rail until you had your fill.

Captain and crew did an excellent job all day with tangles, gaffing, etc.

Ivan and I unfortunately got sick out our stomachs in the weather. I think Ivan had the worst of it, but I was feedling pretty bad by the end of the day. Would have been a perfect day if not for the sea sickness, oh well.

If you plan on one of these trips make sure to bring your heavy outfits. A lot of guys were struggling to bring these guys up with their 30lb or 40lb gear. Some guys barely had enough line to reach the squid. We found them at 500-700ft, btu they can go deeper.

I used 60lb line, 2spd reel, and a rod rated 60-80lbs. Even so it still wasn't easy. Basically we fished the rail like you would on a long range trip when the tuna are straight up and down. Ecxcept these guys were 500ft down and not 100ft.
I also used a fighting belt which helped because all of the weight was either on the rail or on the hips. If you have a bad back or knee problems this will help you out a lot (trust me, I know. The first one I brought up without the belt and I paid for it). Obviously its not necessary, but really helps out.

Jigs: All of the jigs worked, but the candy catcher jigs I think worked the best. They had wider crowns with longer spikes which held the squid really well. I only lost one close to color because of a tangle and slack line for a prolonged period of time while they figured it out. The guys using the Ahi jigs seemed to lose more squid. Some of them were pretty pissed after hauling them up 500ft to lose them so close to the surface.

The captain and crew were awesome, and I can't complain. The only complaint: He stayed out longer until we found some willing to bite. When you are seasick thats the last thing you want to hear over the speaker "I normally don't do this, but we are going to try one more stop" *:-[ :-X :'(.

If you want to get some of those squid jigs just go to their website: www.candycatchers.com. Definitely worth it, and they are about the same price as the other jigs.

Might need to check on Ivan today to make sure he is feeling alright. Took me about a day to recovery.

p.s. sorry I didn't take any pics, to sick to even think about it. Ivan took one and maybe he will post it later on.

gmdcdvm
02-10-2007, 08:02 PM
By the way when are we getting a smiley face with a guy vomiting?

keciga1
02-10-2007, 08:27 PM
Basicly the same thing that Gerry said. I felt like I was dying, but still managed one squid. I was puking and cranking at the same time. Just didn't wanna go home empty handed. Managed to get one picture so here you go.

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/2504/squid002bd4.jpg

Ivan

derrickrosare
02-10-2007, 10:26 PM
Thats what you call suckin it up when your yakin and reelin at the same time! Nice squid Ivan!

gmdcdvm
02-10-2007, 10:30 PM
I was absolutely miserable, and Ivan was in even worse shape.
I remember reeling in that 4 squid, and thinking I feel like sh--. The captain was on the mic yelling get those jigs back down. Lets see if we can get the to the surface. I dropped my jig down, and about half way down I realized there is no way I can handle another one of those things with the way I feel. It was all I could do to just reel that jig back up. Put the gear away, sat down in the back, and justed waited for it to runs its course.
Miserable...
G

triggerfish
02-11-2007, 08:33 AM
The look on Ivans face says it all. Don't worry guys,You are not the first ones to get sick on the new sea angler,and you won't be the last.I have seen 30 people cramed in the cabin,looking at eachother making each other more sick. Unless its close to gale conditions,Rick will go,Espicially if there is more than 20 passengers.

aintscared
02-11-2007, 09:53 AM
Can u say Dramamine ? :D Most of the time its best to just drop a few, one the night before and one early that morning before departure, just as a precation.. It sucks to be seasick no matter how tuff you are and some people like me dont throw up we just get a dizzy head and end up very pissy and short tempered >:( not anymore fun than the guy who is chummin off the back of the boat to have on board.. ;) Good photo there Ivan, ;D you look like a chipmunk with his mouth full of nuts,lol.. nice squid dude ;)

Katch
02-11-2007, 10:20 AM
Very nice squid! *...being sick like that is horrible and you're just stuck *:(

vito
02-11-2007, 11:20 AM
Ivan. You are the new poster child for seasick meds ;D. I can see that pic on the front cover of a dramamine box! That really sucks guys. Been there. I have mixed feelings about dramamine though. My wife took some before we went out on a panga in Mex. She didn't get sick, but she did sleep all day. She missed out on a lot of the fun. At least I would have had fun watching her barf...just kidding hun.

gmdcdvm
02-11-2007, 11:21 AM
I took scopolamine along with Ivan. What I didn't do was take it the night before like I normally do.

I actually had been up about 20hrs by the time the boat left the dock. I don't know if sleep deprivation had anything to do with it, but the only other time I got sick was a salmon trip where I didn't get any sleep the night before either. So who knows, maybe a good nights rest is necessary for me. I have been out in similar conditions before without any problems so go figure. You never know when it will hit. I just hope it doesn't hit me again. :-/

keciga1
02-11-2007, 12:10 PM
Like Gerry said we took Scopace and I also took a Dramamine but it didn't help. Usually I take it the night before but this time I didn't. I also got only 1 hour of sleep the night before so mayebe that has something to do with it. All I know is that I won't be out on the water again if it calls for a forecast like that, and next time I'm gonna get some rest the night before and will take a pill the night before too. I am still not at
%100, still sore all over and my eyes are bloody as heck from puking all day. Oh and that's defenately not my best pic but the squid was actually above average for that day.

Ivan

slick88
02-11-2007, 01:16 PM
Like Gerry said we took Scopace and I also took a Dramamine but it didn't help. Usually I take it the night before but this time I didn't. I also got only 1 hour of sleep the night before so mayebe that has something to do with it. All I know is that I won't be out on the water again if it calls for a forecast like that, and next time I'm gonna get some rest the night before and will take a pill the night before too.

In addition to Dramamine twice, I always make sure to have a breakfast even @ 0400 when I'm not even hungry. An empty stomach is the worst when you get motion sickness.

tattooed_angler
02-11-2007, 02:09 PM
nice catch there fellas!!!!

ocean_314
02-11-2007, 02:21 PM
Man i feel so sorry for you guys. I also get seasick and tried everything. The only thing that works for me is Bonnie. Havent been seasick since.

keciga1
02-11-2007, 03:35 PM
I tried bonine and that was the only other time I got seasick. It's different for everyone but it can sometimes be hard to find what works for you.

Ivan

CandyCatcher
02-11-2007, 04:16 PM
Way to go out there and props for hanging in there!

Thats what we like to hear! *We agree on the hooks! *We made em big for a reason! *Theres something to be said about Hand Made USA Tackle!

They have them in stock at Outdoor Pro Shops and if your not near them...We'll be glad to help you out.
http://www.candycatchers.com

http://www.candycatchers.com/media/squidjigs/New%20Jigs%20for%2007%20Revised/IMG_0219.JPG

http://www.candycatchers.com/media/Reports/NSQSquidTrip/11.jpg

abdiver12
02-11-2007, 06:56 PM
Sorry to hear about your seasickness guys, I know from experience that it is one of the most miserable feelings on earth. Over the years, I've chummed the seas from the Indian Ocean to the Gulf of Alaska. I went out to the Farallones a few months ago in about 8 foot swells and tried taking ginger tablets and they did a good job. I was still a little sick but not incapacitated as in trips past and like the guys who took Dramamine that day. Get some ginger tablets from your local health food store. They don't make you drowsy either. Take one the night before, then one 1 hour before then another as you get on the boat. Or if you can't get the tablets, buy some fresh ginger and cut it into strips. Happy squidding! ;)

Double_D
02-12-2007, 07:51 AM
good report....and sorry you guys got sick....

nickstone
02-12-2007, 05:58 PM
I went out yesterday on the new sea angler and there was 1 squid caught outta 30 something people. Alot of people thought the weekends storms might have moved them along. Oh Well. Hopefully they will start up again this week

keciga1
02-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Wow. The thing that I learned about squid fishing this past weekend was that a big part of it depends on the anglers to work together to get the squid up to the surface and to keep them there, but it looks like in your case that the squid were not there. How was the weather out there yesterday?

Ivan

keciga1
02-12-2007, 06:20 PM
Way to go out there and props for hanging in there!

Thats what we like to hear! *We agree on the hooks! *We made em big for a reason! *Theres something to be said about Hand Made USA Tackle!

They have them in stock at Outdoor Pro Shops and if your not near them...We'll be glad to help you out.
http://www.candycatchers.com

http://www.candycatchers.com/media/squidjigs/New%20Jigs%20for%2007%20Revised/IMG_0219.JPG

http://www.candycatchers.com/media/Reports/NSQSquidTrip/11.jpg

These jigs really work. The guys that had these jigs on are the ones that had most of the squid on the trip I went on. And it's awesome that they come in tubes for easy storage.

Ivan

ric1ric
02-12-2007, 07:01 PM
CandyCatcher, abdiver12, and nickstone Welcome to the boards hope to see more from you guys. Seems this post brought out a few new members. Well Welcome again

Trout_Terminator
02-12-2007, 07:07 PM
is it only me, or do the squids seem smaller than they did last year?

Captain_Morgan
02-12-2007, 07:07 PM
Sorry to hear about the sickness. My brother-in -law & I made reservations one weekend when loose goose went. We camped all weekend to find our sunday trip was canceled. We drove at 4 am to the dock, called rick to find out he tryed to call us.The worse part about the whole thing was my bro-inlaw took 2 dramaine & we didn't go fishing. ;D He was a downer all day! ;D He finally fell asleep at 3pm. He missed the great football game colts & n.e. :P

kurt916
02-13-2007, 07:00 PM
Really sucks you guys didnt get to enjoy the trip. Not that this will work for everyone. But I get the patches from the doctor that you put behind the ear. I put that on a full day before the trip. Then in the morning I make sure I eat food. And for during the day, I bring a loaf of sour dough bread to eat.

Good luck next time! And get those candycatchers. I have used them on 3 trips now. You just dont lose the squid like you do with the ahiusa jig. I also put a mini glow stick on the line above the candycatcher... works real well. Just got some 6" white glow sticks im going to try next time.

salmonkng
02-13-2007, 08:21 PM
DAMN DUDE I WAZ GOING TO GO W/ U GUYS BUT U CANCELLED THE TRIP SOUNDS LIKE FUN I MUST SCEDULE AGAIN>>>!!

fishenrick
02-15-2007, 06:54 PM
Nice report guys,sounds like fun except the sickness, Ivan you looked like you had a rough day, face all swollen, you must have been really sick. Hopefully a better trip next time.

Fishenrick

donzitroller
02-15-2007, 07:31 PM
New guys, welcome! To the boards anyways, not new to fishing for sure..

Ivan, you are a true f-n-a-cotton WARRIOR! I always knew you were hardcore man.. pukin over the side while you're crankin up a squid. The look on your face says it all! Almost wish I had been there to pat you on the back while you were heavin!

:P

Aintscared.. maybe they'll be gone by the time we get there.. you know what that means! Snoopin around for some fat butts in Blowdega!