PDA

View Full Version : Surf Perch Help

BASNFAN
02-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Hi guys, The last two years, I have been targeting the perch anytime we are at the coast and have fished from as far South as Moro Bay and as far North as Crescent City. I have only done fair and find that the period just before and after the high tide is when I catch - if I am going to catch anything. ;D Yet I hear reports of good fishing at lower tides. Is there any secret or strategy change I should make. We are going to be in the Moss Landing area next week and hope to give it a try there, if I can shake this darn cold! >:( Any help would be appreciated.
BASNFAN

SLOfisher
02-05-2007, 07:42 PM
Basnfan:

I've always had the best luck from 1 hour before, to 1 hour after high tide also. It is good, however, to check an area at low tide so you can see where the nooks and crannies are.

BASNFAN
02-06-2007, 07:52 PM
Good idea SLOfisher. I will try and do that.
BASNFAN

Fish_R_Us
02-07-2007, 02:15 PM
I have also experienced extended activity when there's a moderate low tide in between 2 high tides. For instance, a HI=6.4 ft, LO=4.0 ft, HI=5.0 ft sequence would still have a moderate bite until 1/2 way past the second HI tide.

It's when you have a real HI=6.4 followed by a real LO= -1.9 ft is when most activity really slows down during the low (minus) tide. The caveate is you can still catch fish in the deep holes during those low minus tides because most of the larger fish have congregated into the deep places. It's just that you have to dangle your bait in front of them in order to get a bite.

Low tide is also the best time to get some fresh bait (mussles, green crabs, etc.) since most of the intertidal zone is exposed. Then get ready for the incoming tide bite.

AnglerBG
02-07-2007, 02:15 PM
I've been fishing for surf perch off and on for about two years or so and have been experiencing the same thing. My experience has mostly been getting a good bite between about 2 hours before peak high to about 30 mins before peak. I figure it's like this: from about halfway between high and low tide up until about 30 mins before peak high, the water is pretty high on the beach and moving steadily up. As it gets close to peak high (<30 mins) the movement is slower as it tapers off (parabolic nature of tides.) I know perch like moving water in general- crosscurrents and stuff along the beach. I figure that the surge of the tide advancing up the beach turns the fish on, and fishing the second half of the flood means the fish have advance farther up the beach. As it gets real close to peak, the surge is less strong so the fish are less voracious. In the past I've seen the bite almost totally turn off around the time of peak. Using this logic, I've estimated that the fish should be as active from 30 mins after peak until midway down the ebb, I haven't had much opportunity to try this out though.

Anyway, that was my logic. In theory it makes sense but you guys tell me how accurate it sounds because I don't have enough experience yet. In any event... I've read articles in the past and repeatedly say perch can be caught anytime, any tide. I'm sure this is true, I too would like to know how though. Maybe just have to cast farther on the low tides? I figured that my lack of experience was why I only caught fish during my theorized "window," and that this was the easiest time to get bit. I don't know.

BASNFAN
02-07-2007, 07:37 PM
Good info guys and thanks! It gives me something to work on. Another major key is learning to read the surf to find the holes and current that is holding the fish. I am still working on this but at my age with bad back and knees, I can't traverse too far up or down the beach looking for the better spots. But hay, I haven't given up yet!!! ;)
BASNFAN

SLOfisher
02-07-2007, 07:49 PM
Basnfan:

I know what you mean about age/bad back. I've already had one back surgery, and the doc want's to do another one. However, I've decided to put it off as long as I can, the idea of a knife next to my spinal cord kind of freaks me out.

Anyway, next time you are going to be in the Morro Bay area, drop me a PM, and maybe we can hook up.

Norm

pinfish
02-07-2007, 08:17 PM
yes the tides and fishing holes is important. another tip is to not spook the fish. keep your tackle black, hide the mansmell, cast diagonally ahead or behind you, fish in overcast or fog, don't fish when the pelicans are roaming.

also look for sandcrab beds. look for waves that dredge up the sand and pull up clouds of sand. look for small baitfish when they're in season - the big perch will hit those.

blue_chrush
02-07-2007, 08:28 PM
Good info guys and thanks! *It gives me something to work on. *Another major key is learning to read the surf to find the holes and current that is holding the fish. *I am still working on this but at my age with bad back and knees, I can't traverse too far up or down the beach looking for the better spots. *But hay, I haven't given up yet!!! * ;)
BASNFAN

manreasa state beach.....south of santa cruz...
park in the lot and walk straight down and out...
there are 2 holes right in front, if you dont get fish there
somethings wrong...
like Ive said before, trout rod set ups...10lb test
3/8 slideing sinker w/ 18" leader, #6 hooks and
motoroil grubs, with scent is good...
stand at the edge of the water and cast out just 20/30ft
right behind the incoming white water, let it set, and then
reel one crank at a time slow... do about 10/12 then reel in.
start again....wait, fish on...what did I tell you, 2nd cast...lol

Double_D
02-08-2007, 10:31 AM
Whats up blue crush pm me when the striper's are playing in the surf down your way ;)

BayLegend650
02-08-2007, 11:52 AM
wheres this at

BASNFAN
02-08-2007, 07:33 PM
More Good Info!!!!!!!!! Thanks again!!!!! Norm, you have a PM.
BASNFAN

fbanaria
02-08-2007, 08:56 PM
Hi guys, The last two years, I have been targeting the perch anytime we are at the coast and have fished from as far South as Moro Bay and as far North as Crescent City. I have only done fair and find that the period just before and after the high tide is when I catch - if I am going to catch anything. ;D Yet I hear reports of good fishing at lower tides. Is there any secret or strategy change I should make. We are going to be in the Moss Landing area next week and hope to give it a try there, if I can shake this darn cold! >:( Any help would be appreciated.
BASNFAN

Pick a tide that has high water and low water movement. The perch will hold inshore longer than when the outgoing is high. Also, keep on moving and casting to different spots.

1 hour before is not good enough. You should start around the time the tide stars coming in, about 2-3 hours before high.

Good luck!