PDA

View Full Version : Please help, need advice on Salom trolling.

C U FISHING
04-25-2012, 02:45 PM
I'm going out to Santa Cruz this Saturday to try to get into the action. Need to know what to use for trolling: ( color & size ); flasher , dodgers, lures, down rigger ball weight, lender, set back and etc... I greatly appreciate any help. Thank you all in advance.

C U FISHING

BigK
04-25-2012, 04:35 PM
Hey whats up cuf, so iv been out to sc twice
This year and iv limited each day within 3.5hrs!
I dont have downriggers so I troll with engine on
Set up is as follows:
Weight release w/ 2-2.5lb ball weight then about a 2.5 ft leader attached to a large 12''n flasher
Clear, green w/ plaid design. Then2-3ft leader using different lures. Go with a 4.5in kettlefish/squid hoochie white in color or glow.
U can also hook an anchovy behind the hoochie. Remember only circle hooks and barbless
Or an FBR, ROTARY KILLER, SPOONS will work.

Ill be fishing monday out of sc. If u dont mind let me know how u do saturday...big k

C U FISHING
04-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Thanks BigK. I guess I will need to make a trip to Fishermen Warehouse for some new tackle. I sure will report back to let you know the outcome.

BigK
04-25-2012, 05:03 PM
Feel free to text me 916.706.9604 ...ill give u more info or we can talk fishn

C U FISHING
04-26-2012, 09:04 PM
Feel free to text me 916.706.9604 ...ill give u more info or we can talk fishn

Thanks BigK, I sure will call or text you.

C U FISHING

neil831
04-27-2012, 12:38 PM
Just an FYI for you guys, you don't have to run circle hooks while on the troll, they just have to be barbless.

neil831
04-27-2012, 12:49 PM
Might want to pick up a regulations book before heading out.

SalmoClarki
04-27-2012, 03:43 PM
Trolling for Salmon with Downriggers | CoastsideFishingClub.com (http://coastsidefishingclub.com/grey-beard-articles/trolling-for-salmon-with-downriggers/)

C U FISHING
04-28-2012, 03:55 PM
With bad weather, I chicken out. Better safe then sorry. Thank all for your adviced. C U FISHING

iggybabble
05-27-2012, 09:20 AM
You don't really NEED a flasher or Dodger, but if you choose one remember the bigger they are, the more water resistance/ interference to a hooked fish! Every time a hooked fish changes directions, that big surfboard causes the hook to turn and increases and decreases tension on the hook. salmon have soft mouths, and combined with barbless hooks, this can be an issue. With a bait holder rig like a rotary salmon killer, I prefer a small flasher or dodger, say in the 6" range, while if I'm trolling a Hoochie, I will use a big flasher. Rarely does flasher color matter, silver or chrome works as well as anything else.

ING
05-28-2012, 01:14 PM
Question is: are Pro-Troll EChip SpinRay Flashers compatible with RSK or FBR?
All of them are rotating while the trolling. Is direction of rotation the same? Could that rotations cause a tangling? How Pro-Troll ECip SpinRay Flashers necessary if RSK or FBR are rotating also and also have own EChips? May be it is too cheesy?
Thank you

iggybabble
05-28-2012, 06:34 PM
ING, more gear, more water resistance! Start off simpler, with less junk on your line! Got binoculars and no fog? Watch what other boats are doing and catching! If the guys who are catching are using a bunch of cheesy junk on there lines, do the same!

joyee50
12-11-2012, 06:01 AM
Well all the above participants perform well and expose the idea very well....
Glade to know buddy...